back to article Storage Spaces returns to Windows Server's semi-annual channel

Microsoft's revealed that Storage Spaces Direct will return in the next semi-annual version of Windows Server. Storage Spaces is Microsoft's software-defined and/or hyperconverged storage tool and mysteriously disappeared from Windows Server 1709. Microsoft's since teased further “hyper-converged innovation” in “another …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

nb - Windows Server already has dedupe. Just not as part of storage spaces...

2. AMBxx Silver badge
    Facepalm

Stop mucking around

It's the Microsoft Hokey Cokey.

Put the feature in, the feature out, in, out, in out, shake it all about.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stop mucking around

"It's the Microsoft Hokey Cokey.

Put the feature in, the feature out, in, out, in out, shake it all about."

This is a build specifically for people who want to test and early adopt stuff though. It will be liable to change. If you care use the standard LTS build.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
        Trollface

Re: Stop mucking around

I guess I should have used the Joke icon for the 3 people with no sense of humour?

3. johnnyblaze

Bull

Windows Server 2016 is not proving that popular with Enterprises so far. Very slow, almost glacial uptake. Can't see this version making much difference, and we all really asked for 'server as a service' didn't we? Not. I'd much rather run disk pools in hardware on decent RAID controllers than this lame software BS. Must be the fact Server 2016 is the bastard uncle of Windows 10, and sysadmins are real worried about it sending info back to MS. I know I am.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Windows Server 2016 is not proving that popular with Enterprises so far."

I work across many and I haven't come across any that are not already or are planning to use it imminently for new deployments so I would say it's gone down well. Server 2012 is already a great and stable product though so why would they rush to migrate?

1. AMBxx Silver badge

I'm not sure Microsoft will be too concerned. Given what a pain it is to upgrade the OS on SQL Server or Exchange (hint: don't), they'd much rather you be paying monthly fees for Azure.

Personally, I'll be glad when I no longer need to RDP to Windows Server 2012. There's no start button and hovering in a corner of the screen isn't so easy with RDP.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"and sysadmins are real worried about it sending info back to MS. I know I am."

You give servers Internet access?! We don't.

And nothing of note gets sent back on enterprise products unless you count crash dumps and that's simple to disable anyway...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like