back to article World Vasectomy Day: 15k men line up for live vent-blocking

The Reg readership might be interested to know that the coming Friday does not just signal the end of the working week and time to cut loose, it is also World Vasectomy Day. WVD, to use the acronym, isn’t a new thing per se, it first started in 2013 to celebrate men around the world who are “stepping up for their partners, …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I had to go for an Op due to a cyst and was on the same ward as the vasectomy crowd, they were the most depressed looking bunch of men I've ever seen.

1. TRT Silver badge

Wouldn't you be...

if your danglers were inside your misuses purse and she was closing the clasp?

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Unhappy

Re: Wouldn't you be...

this article is making me think of this web site at the moment:

http://web.archive.org/web/20171013064115/http://www.nomarriage.com/

sadly, looks like the site is offline now. thanks to the web archive, not completely.

Anyway... a couple of snips helps to prevent "the obvious problem", in a society that assumes that men are PREDATORS, and women are pure and innocent (regardless of whatever they CLAIM).

<rant>

Those who have EVER been through a nasty divorce involving child custody, ESPECIALLY in Cali-FORNICATE-you, will understand what I mean. It's better to get SNIPPED and DENY the planet the benefit of your gene pool, than to have to ENDURE the ANAL RAPING in a courtroom, for those *kinds* of women don't have penises, but they have ATTORNEYS, and those attorneys will do "by proxy" (in the courtroom) what THEY could NEVER do to you...

</rant>

yes, mental picture intentional. "BOHICA" --> Bend Over Here It Comes Again

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"[...] they were the most depressed looking bunch of men I've ever seen."

Same when I went for my vasectomy. All seemed to be accompanied by presumably their wives or girlfriends. Wasn't that much of a drama for me though.

As a mid-30s single man the Marie Stopes clinic consultation was concentrated on whether I would ever regret not having children. Not a problem - there are already enough children to help to educate/nurture without adding any more to the population.

The op wasn't that bad - except I felt the first incision as local anaesthetics always seem to take a while to take effect on me. Had some mild pain for a few weeks - and after 30 years I still feel an occasional "tug" in one testicle.

A woman friend at the time said how nice it would be for me to not to have to use condoms - then the AIDS campaigns started.

1. Graham Jordan

You're lucky then. I had the misfortune of smelling my tubes on fire, getting nipped in a place without drugs, then once they did ware off rolling around on the bed for 3 hours feeling like someone had taken my nuts in a vice.

Still, i'd do it all again in a heart beat. BEST RESULT EVER

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You think that's bad? I woke up from the anaesthetic to find I had a neo-vagina! Not much chance of reversing that one. Turns out there was a mix up with the urologist database. I blame the fact they were still using XP.

2. thomn8r

there are already enough children to help to educate/nurture without adding any more to the population.

This! I think the desire to throw a little is the ultimate in narcissism.

3. Velv
      Headmaster

There are a small number of people who enjoy medical attention.

For the vast majority the thought of any kind of medical procedure is depressing, a unpleasant necessity, something we need to do but would rather we didn't. Last hospital I visited didn't have the entertainment of cocktail service and a cabaret band, it was kind of focused on the serious job at hand.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Would you call them men? I would have thought that eunuchs would be a more accurate description.

5. big_D Silver badge

I was in out in about 30 minutes, no bed, no ward. They operated and then sent me straight back home.

The bad part was, the doctor only checked the anaesthetic only worked on one side, when he cut into the other side, I told him politely that it wasn't blocking the pain (I grunted and screamed at him)... He did a Magnus Magnusson impression and said, "I've started so I'll (have to) finish."

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well that's a kick in the balls.

Comedy aside (if you can call it that) I'll be having this in a few months, the deal being that if my partner stops smoking I'll get it done.

1. Rainer

> if my partner stops smoking I'll get it done

That's ridiculous, IMO.

What if she relapses?

You can't really un-snip it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Of course you can unsnip. Even says so in the story. It'll cost between £2k to £5k. That and a bit more pain.

1. Brett Weaver

Unsnip?

The vasectomy reversal is by no means as reliable as the vasectomy. Even a successful reversal can reverse itself again fairly quickly through tube scarring etc. This happened to me. I believe there are only a small percentage of long term reverses.

Note that your wigglers go into your body after a vasectomy so your body develops anti-bodies to your sperm as well. There is a school of thought that this could reduce your sex drive.

I am happy that I have the IOFB tie, but when I got my vasectomy done I was told it was symptom free and "so much better than your wife getting her tubes tied"... I'm not as sure as I was then.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Vasectomy Reversal

I had to get a reversal myself after suffering a year of severe Post Vasectomy Pain Syndrome following my vasectomy.

It is indeed £3000, and the NHS will refuse to pay for it into the bargain.

It fixed the most severe part of the problem but I still have some residual pain nearly 5 years on.

Here are some chronic pain rates at 1 year and 10 years in a British Journal of Urology paper.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1464-410X.2003.04663.x/full

13% + still had pain a decade after their vasectomy.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Vasectomy Reversal

Thanks for all the advice especially the lube comment... I'll take it into consideration.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You're off for the snip? I originally intended to, but I was put off by the official advice of the British Association of Urological Surgeons, whose patient advice (link below) reports chronic pain in 5-15% of patients. Those were odds I didn't think were good enough, particularly the 5% for whom the pain interfered with daily activities.

Odds on you'll be fine - but be aware of those odds.

https://www.baus.org.uk/_userfiles/pages/files/Patients/Leaflets/Vasectomy.pdf

3. strum
      Coat

> if my partner stops smoking I'll get it done.

Wouldn't vaseline be easier?

3. TRT Silver badge

Friday?

Is that Blackball Friday?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Friday?

Is that Blackball Friday?

Followed by Black and Blue Ball Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, according to a colleague who got the op.

1. big_D Silver badge

No black and blue after the operation and no pain after the operation (see above).

It is a very quick and easy operation, usually done on an out-patient basis, at least here in Germany. I went to my local urologist, had the operation and got a taxi back home half an hour later.

A couple of days of abstinence and that was it.

2. MyffyW Silver badge

A Friday afternoon vasectomy. What could possibly go wrong...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Am I the only one to boast

a four inch vasectomy scar?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Am I the only one to boast

That seems extreme. After 30 years I can't see my tiny scar.

Reminds me of a young friend who had to have an operation on his guts. He was very disappointed when the dressing was removed and there were just a couple of tiny keyhole incisions.

As he was packing to leave hospital he collapsed and was rushed into emergency surgery for an internal haemorrhage. No messing about with keyhole techniques this time. He is very proud of his six inch scar straight up the middle of his stomach - except he lost his belly button in the process.

2. TRT Silver badge

Re: Am I the only one to boast

Boast about it? That take a lot of balls.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ok, OK, OK. I have to come clean

Had a BUPA (thru work) op booked to fix a hernia. Around the same time came to the decision to be "turned off at the mains" so said to the surgeon, as he would be rummaging around in that region and I'd be out for the count, would he kindly oblige. The guy vouchsafed that he had to take care to avoid damaging that bit of plumbing anyway in a hernia op, so he would do one side the traditional way and the other via the hernia incision. We came to an "arrangement" that I would only get personally billed for the snipping bit and all the rest would be covered by the insurance anyway. Sorted and I genuinely have a 4" vasectomy scar.

So there.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Ok, OK, OK. I have to come clean

Sorted and I genuinely have a 4" vasectomy scar. So there.

I'm disappointed. I thought you were going to bring us a tale of having your pods crimped in the back of a Chinese takeaway by a bloke with a meat cleaver.

5. Sil

There is no 100 % guarantee a vasectomy can be reversed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

New reversable techniques are being researched. One involves blocking the vas deferens with a gel.

6. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Alert

Time for a bit of Baron Munchausen

Cut off in my prime

surrounded by beautiful women all the time

A eunuch's life is hard

A eunuch's life is hard

A eunuch's life is haaaaaaaard

and nothing else

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Time for a bit of Baron Munchausen

"A eunuch's life is hard"

Depends on how they were made a eunuch. The Chinese made a thorough job of it - replacing the penis with a quill like a catheter.

Castration did not cause erectile function. The famous opera castrati of the 18th century were notorious for their sex affairs with the equivalent of upper class groupies. The Ottoman owners of harems were more concerned with the legitimacy of their offspring.

1. PhilipN Silver badge

A Eunuch's Life

And if done the Chinese way - prior to puberty - an anticipatory cure for male-pattern baldness? Is that still the received wisdom?

7. Dave Pickles

Vasectomy means never having to say you're sorry...

8. Naich

No regrets

I had a vasectomy a few years back after our second kid and I've no regrets. It's brilliant being able to shoot blanks without worrying about the consequences. Actually, I had two vasectomies because the first one didn't work. The second time he gave it some extra cauterisation and as he disappeared in a cloud of smoke I heard him say "that should stop them".

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where do I sign up ?

Seriously.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Where do I sign up ?

your GP. Some do it in-house, others will refer.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"your GP."

I paid to go to a Marie Stopes clinic in my 30s. When I saw my GP afterwards he said he would not offer it for a man with no children. I explained my reasons*** - which he said made sense - and in future he would consider it.

***partner health; my not wanting children.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Most will do it while-you-wait

1. Dwarf
          Facepalm

Most will do it while-you-wait

So you are saying there is another group that will do it whilst you go off for a spot of lunch and a quick pint.

Presumably you don't feel a thing too - sounds like a real positive.

10. MJI Silver badge

Managed to avoid it

And now old enough not to matter.

Wouldn't have minded another either, the current bunch are all now legally adults. Would also improve the future gene pool a little more. (Well oldest is doing a science degree)

11. Another User

Vasectomy - The Best Gift a Man can Give?

Seriously?

Divorce rate is between 30% and 50%. There is no population growth in most western countries.

This attempt is vain and futile. Where it would help it is not practiced and often illegal.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't believe the hype

Whilst I'm glad it's done now for the convenience and lack of worry it brings don't believe all the macho and macho-by-proxy bullshit about it being near enough painless and that a real man would just get on with it.

My missus constantly told me that her Dad was back driving forklifts the same day.

I was in agony for 3 weeks. I was walking around like a man in a minefield because every time my trousers twanged against the sack it felt like I'd been stabbed in the groin. It still hurt to shag months later.

A bloke I worked with noticed my sheepish gait and asked what was up. After I'd told him he said I should have asked him about it first because when he had it done one of his bollocks got infected and swelled up like a basketball.

Don't let anyone tell you you have to have your bollocks butchered. They are your bollocks not anyone else's.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Don't believe the hype

Your Mileage May Vary

When I got snipped it was two days of frozen peas (they conform very well to an irregular surface), and a very happy, supportive wife who let me lay in bed and play video games for those two days (I ruined it because I was so bloody bored on day 3).

Compared to having a young child climb into the bed and sleepily put all of their weight on one knee, which happened to be solely supported by one testicle (Ice packs and frozen peas for ~three weeks), I'd say the procedure was a snip.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"They are your bollocks not anyone else's."

Many men have it done out of regard for the health of their partner - and even of their existing children. It's far simpler than tying a woman's fallopian tubes. Pregnancy is a dangerous condition - even with modern health provisions.

1. TRT Silver badge

Australian small-holder. Got a couple of achers down under.

3. WorkingFromHome

Yeah, it's nothing they said, don't be a wimp they said. Well, when I had mine done it turned out the doctor was sick so I had a trainee and a new guy, who calmly assured me he had been doing this "for over a week now". The nurse assisting tried to break the ice by telling me that they had found her in McDonalds. I was reassured as you can imagine. Just the conversation you need when your junk is hanging out and someone is holding a scalpel.

The op went well, or so I thought, but a few days later I had a haematoma the size of a large egg down there and an infection that split the stitches...

Happy days :)

13. albaleo

men opting to take birth control in their own hands

I thought that made you blind.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      Coat

Re: men opting to take birth control in their own hands

No, apparently it just makes your eyes water...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

See, this has been the best comments section ever to appear on elreg. It has produced a proper public service which i for one am taking heed of.

F**king no chance for me. Jonnies are usually on sale somewhere.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Jonnies are usually on sale somewhere"

With less than 100% guarantee of effectiveness. A friend recounted having to fish out half of a split condom.

The failure rate of vasectomies due to a spontaneous reconnection of a tube is negligible.

15. ukgnome

I remember fondly my op.

Told by the Dr that I had to have a big breakfast, 2 if I can manage it.

Upon inspection told that I had carried out an excellent de-fuzz. Then had three separate nurse also inspect the fine job that I had carried out.

The operation itself was a breeze.

The most awkward part was the small talk. (pun intended)

16. Matthew 17

Get it done

Far safer that alternatives and the whole thing takes about 20 minutes.

I was a bit bruised for a few days afterwards and my plumbs seem to hang a little lower but beyond that I can't see any scaring and it all seems to work as normal.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm a wimp

..I had a general for the op :-)

All in favour once you hit your forties. The two veg were sore for about six weeks, but after two unplanned (but happy to have) children it was clearly time to quit while I was ahead, and lets face it, since the wife doing the equivalent is a far more involved procedure, it was down to me. Any nubile second wife can shag me all she wants without result.

I think there's a time limit on reversals of about seven years, after which they will probably not work.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm a wimp

"..I had a general for the op :-)"

I found it less stressful than the dentist fitting a crown.

2. David 132 Silver badge
      Coat

Re: I'm a wimp

..I had a general for the op :-)

My, that IS macho.

Most people have a surgeon.

18. hatti

Post op

If you're thinking of having this done, you'll need to get some supportive underwear to stop things swinging around for a couple of days while everything heals. Boxer shorts have to wait.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Post op - no boxers

I recommend "boxer briefs", not "tighty-whitey" briefs. Better coverage, and can even help hold the bag of frozen peas in place. (Trust me, for the first six hours this WORKS and you WILL want it.)

Also, another lesson regarding pain: I tried to avoid taking the narcotic pain pill after the procedure, but soon realized I needed at least one dose. Quickly made my mind loopy and had to say "sorry" to the in-laws (they were watching the kids while my wife chauffeured) and took a nap instead.

Still way better off than my brother-in-law's attempt a year prior; had the in-laws so worried mine wouldn't go well. Sorry to disappoint... (not sorry!)

2. MJI Silver badge

Re: Post op

Er no thanks

Managed to avoid until now, and she is a bit old to pop another

19. Arthur the cat Silver badge
    Megaphone

Dear Register

Please sack whoever chose the image in the RSS feed.

1. Mark York 3 Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Dear Register

& indeed whoever placed the story for Splunk directly underneath, my mind read a different word & was immedietly taken back 13 years to the Dansani saga.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/03/19/cokes_spunky_water_pulled/

Icon = "Feeble humans unable to drink water & forced to develop brewing instead - Beer is better".

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Dear Register

Was that the one killed off by Peckham Spring jokes?

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I had it done a few years back.

The op itself was about as unpleasant as having a filling done. I followed the post-op instuctions to the letter - stay in bed a couple of days and no heavy lifting for a week or so - and no probs at all.

For several months afterwards I would get some slightly strange sensations, but they were very mild and I certainly wouldn't have called them painful, just a bid odd.

So I'd say as long as you're sure you don't want (more) kids, go for it.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Libido?

Going DOWN?

If anything, once the major swelling went down, my libido is UP!

Not sure the missus approves of that particular outcome, but avoiding another pregnancy means she doesn't have to suffer months of blood thinner injections to ward off a potentially nasty -- and potentially life-ending -- blood clot. (Ladies, stay away from "artificial hormone" birth control! It might just kill you, really!)

And not like it matters anymore. Just a few months ago, three years after my V, she needed a hysterectomy. She feels much better now after healing up a bit.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Libido?

"If anything, once the major swelling went down, my libido is UP!"

Not sure if it is proven - that the unreleased build up of sperm in the testes stimulates the body's sex drive.

Apparently your vasectomy can reduce your partner's libido. Something to do with some women being intrinsically turned on by the chance/risk of becoming pregnant.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Had it done 4 years past.

Since then my sex drive has been lower than my ageing rocks.

Not complaining, I'm happy with the way it is, but no doubt that would be a big problem for some.

I find the idea of a mass event rather stupid though. Make the choice with proper consultation between your doctor and any family who it may be relevant to and do it if it's right. No need to make a whole thing about "stepping up...."

23. tiggity Silver badge

"surgeons waiting to carry out the 10 to 30-minute op on volunteers with todgers"

Presumably the volunteers only need balls, todgers optional?

Sperm is not produced in teh todger, that;'s just the gun barrel

e.g. if todger chopped off, as long as hole still present then the man gravy could still spurt out.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: "man gravy"

It's man custard. The low-fat version as well, as it will help stop your other half putting on weight.

24. Banksy

A poke, 2 snips and some smoke

I may well get a vasectomy next year, never had the paternal instinct.

If you can please consider supporting the Vasalgel (injectable polymer plug, non-hormonal, 10 year+) contraception for men. Looks like a good, potentially reversible, alternative to vasectomy.

There is also another product called 'dick click' out there that looks interesting.

It would be good for men to have more than 2 contraceptive choices - condoms or not shagging!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A poke, 2 snips and some smoke

"It would be good for men to have more than 2 contraceptive choices - condoms or not shagging"

You missed the method which is common in cultures where contraceptives are not available. ( )*( )

1. jake Silver badge

Re: A poke, 2 snips and some smoke

Ah. The Catholics.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"vasectomy-athon"

i.e. if you have this operation 41 times in 24 hrs, you win (and get a lovely free condom to prove it).

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It made a

Vas Deferens

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It made a

The article already used that near-homonym.

"[...] are planned for the day, to be performed by 1,200 vasectomists out of deferens to the “gender equity of family planning”."

27. Mark 85
    Coat

WVD?

Bad choice in acronyms as it reads like something one would need a shot of penicillin to cure.

28. InNY
    Mushroom

It's not that bad

Unless your two year old son decides he's a super-hero, off the back of the sofa... Then you learn to fly without wings - straight into casualty...

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Muslim villages in India

During the tyranny of Indira Gandhi there was a huge push for vasectomies. The men were rewarded with a transistor radio if they had the op. So the mutilation teams go around the country providing vasectomies. Some years later it transpired that in muslim villages the men often had 4-5 radios, while in many hindu villages no one had a radio. Just a coincidence I believe.

30. jake Silver badge

25 years ago.

No problem during. Very minor discomfort for a couple days after. No lingering anything. I rather suspect that the "bad" after effects are due to operator error.

31. crediblywitless

Still the cleverest thing I ever did, 21 years on...

32. Chairman of the Bored
    Mushroom

Be damned careful here

Very high side effect profile, ESPECIALLY if you pull a 'me' and go back to work or chores too fast! Very poor circulation down there - infections can get nasty and can be with you for a really long time. As in permanently. I've had to have multiple repeat surgeries just to remove crap from down there. Not quite as much a problem as cancer but its been life changing... Think I'm turning into ... Frankensack!

Seriously, this procedure has one of the worst side effect profiles of any elective operation. Do your homework. And if you're definitely going to get nipped, make sure it's with a doc who specializes in it and have it done in a proper hospital - increases your odds.

Take your time and do research. For most guys in the point of marriage where you are under orders to get snipped, you are not gettin any anyways, so what's the rush? Patience.

My understanding is that male hormonal birth control is under evaluation- definitely a thought.

33. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

"...out of deferens..."

ISWYDT

34. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WARNING 10% + Chronic Genital Pain risk comes free

The acknowledged risks of being left in long term pain by a vasectomy have been increased recently. Thus the uptake rates are going off a cliff. Down 70% in 13 years!

37,700 in 2001-02

11,113 in 2014-15

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20309913

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2016/oct/21/number-of-vasectomies-in-england-falls-64-in-10-years

NHS guidance states: "Long-term testicular pain affects around one in 10 men after vasectomy.

The pain is usually the result of a pinched nerve or scarring that occurred during the operation. You may be advised to undergo further surgery to repair the damage and to help minimise further pain."

https://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/contraception-guide/Pages/vasectomy-male-sterilisation.aspx#Risks

Royal College of Surgerons of England reference stating an even higher rate is here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1964127/

I had a vasectomy and had a year of the dreaded PVPS above.

It took a £3000 reversal to fix that and I still have residual genital pain.

Do your reading chaps vasectomy is dying out for a good reason!

1. Averatec

Re: WARNING 10% + Chronic Genital Pain risk comes free

This Journal of Andrology paper explains the changes in the testicles following vasectomy and the mechanisms behind chronic pain:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/j.1939-4640.2003.tb02675.x/full

2. Chairman of the Bored

Good links, thanks and have an upvote.

See also: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/7283529/

My own experience is that even after the local and systemic infections had been controlled, which took years, the autoimmune responses - antisperm antibody reactions - have been a gift that just keeps giving every single day.

Even if things go relatively well down there I've seen in the literature an autoimmune reaction rate quoted anywhere from 1 to 40ish percent; even on the low end of the range that's a lot of men. Something like 5-10pct of men will get sperm granulomas and this can be the source of all sorts of exciting issues.

For women tubal ligation is no picnic either but I don't think there is the same potential to become allergic to oneself. But that procedure is even more invasive...

So much for plug and play!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"But that procedure is even more invasive..."

A friend had a keyhole tubal ligation. Then she became pregnant. Turned out that surgeon had tied the wrong bits in many women. There was eventually a cash compensation - but nowhere near the cost of raising an extra unexpected child.

1. Chairman of the Bored

Mate had to have an arm amputated and had me write on it in sharpie "Correct one! Remove before flight!" and a rather rude version of "go away" on his other extremities.

Guess its a lot harder to do that on the internal bits.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thanks for the link, I also still have some sort or weirdness going on 5 years and a reversal later myself, but have no idea what to do about it.

At least twice a year I get a get a spike in genital pain, then I get mild viral illness type symptoms - sore and clicking joints, tired, nausea. Then I get a horrible migraine and some dizziness. I also get dry skin at the same time. The progression always starts the same way.

As this is a forum of technical types does anyone have any idea what to do to be rid of this?

How do you even start to get something like this diagnosed? GP's have no idea, it's all very very fringe stuff.

It makes me paranoid as hell given the small vasectomy and dementia paper published a few years back, though that link was later challenged :

http://www.northwestern.edu/newscenter/stories/2007/02/vasectomy.html

1. Chairman of the Bored

What I'd suggest is that you consult with an rheumatologist and or infectious disease expert who has published on autoimmune disorders. At the time I was dx I was lucky enough to be doing some work for Johns-Hopkins hospital.

If Im really careful with diet and exercise I can pretty much stay off the immunosuppressive drugs and steroids. Flare ups sometimes still require intervention. Whats an anti-inflammation diet look like? Very Mediterranean. No red meat, light touch on grain - avoid wheat in particular. Lots of fish. White meat ok. No beer (damn it!). As much veggies and fruit as you want. Migraine? No red wine for you. White ok. No artificial crap, particularly no petroleum-based colors or preservatives.

Low impact exercise, esp swimming and hiking.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Thanks for that.

I also find eating as simply as I can does help a lot, similarly, I gave up alcohol and for the most part caffeine which also helps a lot. I also went part paleo, which I know is a fad, but it chops out most grains, I was also trying to drop weight after my year of feeling like I was getting regularly kicked in the privates following the vasectomy turning out badly.

I was back at the GP's last week (who clearly and understandbly think I'm a bit mad on it), next time I get clobbered they have agreed to do a full blood set for me, I'll have to see where I go from there. A rheumatologist sounds like a good start though once my bloods are available.

Breaching the immune privilege of the male reproductive system is certainly one of the worst and least analysed decisions I have ever made. I have to say that you sound like you have been hit much harder on the immune reaction front than I have.

Getting my vasectomy reversed and stopping that most immunogenic of things largely getting forced into my tissues where it did not belong helped me hugely, though that was another big decision to take having had a terrible outcome from the 1st surgery..

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"[...] and for the most part caffeine which also helps a lot."

I switched to decaffeinated instant coffee - then found that it apparently can still contain a substantial amount of residual caffeine.

Now switched to a Polish ersatz "coffee" called "Inka". Satisfies the taste buds as well as the decaffeinated instant did - although obviously nowhere near as tasty as a good ground coffee. Less calories too - although there aren't many anyway if you drink coffee black.

Costs less than my reasonable instant coffee. In our local (UK) Polish shop the big 200g "tin" costs as much as 2x150g (=300g) boxes. The latter are a few pence over £1 each - but online sellers appear to be much more expensive.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Cheers, I may give that a go at the weekend if I can find it locally.

Though I'll need to check the contents over, as nuts seem to no longer be a well tolerated food either.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

"Though I'll need to check the contents over, [...]"

This page seems to have the best nutritional description in English. You will have to expand a couple of headings "Ingredients" and "Nutritional Information".

Forgot to say that INKA is a brand - "Classic" is the standard one but they also make lots of other flavour variations with additives.

There are lots of Polish stores in the UK. The prices I have paid recently are £1.09 for 150g box - or the less economic £2.xx for 200g "tin". The local charity shop provided a glass storage jar for £1 to keep the box contents dry - as they can absorb moisture once opened.

The Polish instructions say to use 4g - two heaped teaspoons. Many people find 1 teaspoon enough even in a "standard" size mug. So that's 75 mugs per box. It is sufficiently bitter to take the edge off my thirst - which plain hot water never does. I really cannot tell*** when I am drinking that compared to my usual decaffeinated instant.

***YMMV - in my old age my palate has become jaded

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

Erratum:

The New Zealand INKA page "nutrition" is misleading. It says "sugars 1.49g" for a 2 g serving. My Polish tin says "carbohydrates 1.45g of which sugars 0.25g" for 2g.

2. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

It's not the coffee that I miss most in dealing with all this cack. It's a good real ale.

2. Chairman of the Bored

@AC- glad the diet is helping. Here are some books you should read before engaging the rheumatologist or ID specialist.

Bought a copy of the rheumatology disorders primer for both myself and my GP and it really moved both of us forward. If you and the doc both take an interest in the research it really pays dividends - you're now a real patient and not some bloke with an insurance card and a gripe.

Textbook of the autoimmune diseases, Lahita, ISBN 0781715059

Primer on the rheumatic diseases,

Klippel, ISBN 0387356649

How the Immune System Recognizes Self and Nonself: Immunoreceptors and Their Signaling, Kitamura, ISBN

These texts have dozens if not hundreds of references of references to the formal literature for further insight. With some scrounging you can probably find these used for $30-$50ea

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

To add to that worry there was a study three years back showing a small increase in lethal prostate cancer rates, though again this study has since been challenged :

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jul/11/vasectomy-prostate-cancer-study

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon