back to article Now, now, Qualcomm... Don't play hard to get, grins Broadcom

Broadcomm says it will continue its efforts to acquire rival chip designer Qualcomm despite a unanimous rejection of its $103bn buyout offer. Shortly after Qualcomm issued its statement on Monday turning down the $70-per-share bid, Broadcomm fired back almost immediately with an announcement of its own maintaining that its …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Qualcomm might be right.

Interesting timing now that Qualcomm is positioned to enter the server market with power-efficient designs as that's a major component of TCO. Pricing is what I'm waiting to see, as I'm sure the ISP's are waiting to test, those of them that haven't already.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So that's why

...I've been hearing commercials for Qualcomm lately.

"WE’RE THE REASON YOU LOVE YOUR SMARTPHONE!"

3. David Roberts
    Pirate

Next, hostile

Words to the effect of "we would prefer a friendly agreement".

Hints that major shareholders are in favour of the deal.

1. Lennart Sorensen

Re: Next, hostile

I suspect Qualcomm is very correct about regulators. Broadcom and Qualcomm together own the wifi AP chipset market. Everyone else combined makes up almost nothing in that market. I am sure there are other markets where they would be totally dominant.

So at least some parts of the business would need to be split out, and many of Qualcomms advantages is that they provide all the bits needed so splitting wifi from cellular or processors just doesn't make sense.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like