back to article It's 2017 and the UK's competition watchdog just got a data-tech team

The Competition and Markets Authority is to assemble a dedicated team to handle the use of algorithms, artificial intelligence and big data in business. The move is intended to improve the CMA's capability to collect and study data, analyse how companies use data and algorithms, and the implications for consumers and …

1. Vince Lewis 1

Yet no digital right

While these issues are important, we are in desperate need of some basic digital rights.

Simply put if I get hit by a bus my next of kin have no rights to thousands of pounds of software, music and video.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Yet no digital right

if I get hit by a bus my next of kin have no rights to thousands of pounds of software, music and video

Devil's Advocate: Depending upon the licence agreement to which you clicked "I agree", they may not have any such rights. And if you've willingly accepted a service on those terms, essentially as a personal service to you, why should the provider then have to give that service to somebody else when you've kicked the bucket?

Not because of this, but for the other more prosaic reasons of digital ephemerality, I buy CD or DVD versions.

1. Vince Lewis 1

Unfortunately for PC games that is not an option. Even if you do get physical media, the game is often bound to a steam subscription.

2. Truckle The Uncivil

@Vince Lewis I

I was worried about that for a while on iTunes so I converted to a family account. Now access will be available as long as there is a “family” member.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like