back to article Seven years on, Spain rattles tin cup at Google over Street View slurp

Seven years after Google raised hackles by collecting information about Wi-Fi access points with its Street View fleet, Spain's privacy regulator has fined the company €300,000. The country's data protection agency, La Agencia Española de Protección de Datos (AEPD), announced the fine on November 7th, 2017. The privacy row …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

€300,000 fine? Against Google? Not much of a wrist slap, is it? More of a wrist hickey...

1. Tigra 07

RE: Big John

More like a tick bite against an elephant...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Googhoul....

More like an eery chill...

2. ratfox

The privacy row first arose in 2010, when people realised that Google's then-kinda-new StreetView photo-collection-mobiles were collecting the names, MAC addresses and locations of WiFi access points in homes and businesses.

I might be wrong, but I think that the big problem was not collecting the MAC addresses and locations of WiFi routers. It was that they were also recording whatever data was being sent over the networks.

Google was recording the locations of routers to make it easier for Android phones to find out where they are when they detect the same WiFi network, and this is something relatively uncontroversial which iPhones also do.

But they had no particular reason to record the data sent over the network, they didn't even know what to do with it, and it seems that they recorded it just because why not. That's the part that got them in trouble.

1. Justin Case
      Flame

When I move house...

Google was recording the locations of routers to make it easier for Android phones to find out where they are when they detect the same WiFi network, and this is something relatively uncontroversial which iPhones also do.

...taking my router with me that will make a mockery of that particularly obnoxious freeloading means of location.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a fine fine

did I read €300 000 000? Nah, I didn't think so...

4. Wolfclaw

Google must be peeing their collective pants laughing while writing out the cheque and I thought the UK regulator was a pussy !

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like