back to article Red Hatters intro Ceph 3: OpenStacked, object-stored, containertastic filer blockhead

Red Hat's v3.0 Ceph storage software adds iSCSI block, POSIX file and containerisation support to the object storage core, making it a unified protocol storage software product. Red Hat Ceph Storage 3 is based on the open source project and provides: iSCSI support and thus block storage, POSIX-compliant and scale-out file …

1. Bronek Kozicki

Hmm should I try CEPH on ZFS now .... easy question, as I do not really have required equipment at hand :-(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That's actually an interesting question, thinking about it. Have the hardware stacked around me, don't have the requirement for Ceph. Does this fall into the category "mega-kludge"?

2. Adam Heczko

Ceph has nothing to do with ZFS. The actual disk layout for Ceph is so calles Blue Store rather than ZFS.

http://ceph.com/community/new-luminous-bluestore/

Ceph is clustered filesystem, block and object storage provider.

This means that you need a cluster of boxes, typically at least 3 boxes (physical servers) to get usable Ceph storage provider. Ceph also scales out nicely to a thousands of petabytes, that's why it is most popular choice for OpenStack deployments.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I took the GP to be one of those wild, crazy things you hear someone have at doing for whatever reason. I'm aware of exactly what kind of beast Ceph is, having four servers stacked around me it was a possible here. I just don't have the requirement. Plain BSD ZFS is my resilient system/weapon of choice.

1. Bronek Kozicki

Plain ZFS does not support clustering, and that is exactly what CEPH brings to the table (on top of checksumming etc capabilities of ZFS). At least, that's my understanding of a system I cannot really afford to try myself ...

2. Bronek Kozicki

I put a filesystem in your filesystem, as I heard you like filesystems.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like