back to article Picture this if you will: Facebook trousers $77,794. Every. Minute.

Facebook is one of the most ruthlessly efficient money-making machines in history, and has exceeded $10bn revenue in a quarter for the first time. Gross revenue of $10.3bn means the company earns some $4.67m every hour, $77,794 per minute, or $1,296 every second. With barely over 20,000 staff to feed, and relatively few …

1. m0rt

"We built these tools to help people connect and to bring us closer together, and they used them to try to undermine our values."

*Vomit*

"What they did is wrong, and we are not going to stand for it."

OH RLY?

"We're also building new AI to detect bad content and bad actors, just like we've done with terrorist propaganda"

Define bad content...because pretty much most marketing is 'bad' content.

"I am dead serious about this."

You sound like you mean it. I, however, just cannot take you seriously.

Sorry, don't like facebook, don't like the faux values they claim to uphold. So this is just an excuse to be infantile and post a vacuous comment.

Pretty much like his, really.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Golgafrinchan Ark Fleet Ship B

Well, we know where to get the list for Golgafrinchan Ark Fleet Ship B. Just sort in decreasing order by time spent per day and start loading.

So from this perspective Zuki is providing a valuable public service (if we manage to use it soon enough).

2. John 104

"We built these tools to help people connect and to bring us closer together, and they used them to try to undermine our values. What they did is wrong, and we are not going to stand for it."

Meanwhile, here are our corporate account details. you can make your daily deposits here.

3. Mark 110

Why?

"People simply spend hours on Facebook every day, and fleeting seconds elsewhere"

As opposed to me. I spend fleeting seconds on Facebook and hours on El Reg. Maybe we should get a VultureBook going . . .

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: Why?

Agreed, I spend a couple of hours a day on El Reg and maybe 5 minutes a month on Facebook.

I also use a different browser to view Facebook.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I dont even have a facebook or twitter account.

1. big_D Silver badge

I didn't have an account, but had to create one when my last employer suddenly dumped social media in with my responsibilities... Since leaving the company, I have hardly looked at Facebook at all.

4. Snowy Silver badge
    Holmes

I do wonder

if this will mean they will pay more or less taxes.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I do wonder

That's easy: they will pay less tax. More profit means more money sloshing around, some of which will find its way into the accounts of politicians. Those politicians will then see how wonderfully Facebook contributes to society, and make speeches about how it shouldn't be taxed.

5. StuntMisanthrope

Credit is temporary, reputation is permanent.

AI Social Bank of Zuckerberg. #marked #removesthepersonalgain

6. StuntMisanthrope

To me to you

Rochdale Society of Equitable Pioneers

7. MurderMostFowl

lots of revenue but...

To look at this from another perspective:

Apple just announced 5x that revenue. In fact, they announced FB’s revenue as their profit ($10B and change )

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: lots of revenue but...

Are you comparing a hardware manuacturer to someone selling Ads?

Way to miss the point of the article. This isn't about the amount of money they made, but the amount of money they made just by selling ads.

8. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Digital Scamvertizing

I do not have a Facebook account - they turned me down when I applied in the early days because my real name wasn't a real name.

I do everything I can to avoid responding to any adverts on-line other than the occasional fat-fingered click. What's the return on digital advertising? It always seems to be that it's crap.

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'focus our products on all the ways to build COMMUNITY'

Zuk is simultaneously annihilating the media... Yet they continue to quote his meaningless disingenuous nuggets like some holy gospel: 'We're going to focus our products on all the ways to build COMMUNITY':

~

https://www.lrb.co.uk/v39/n16/john-lanchester/you-are-the-product

~

"Here in the rich world, the focus is more on monetisation, and it’s in this area that I have to admit something which is probably already apparent. I am scared of Facebook. The company’s ambition, its ruthlessness, and its lack of a moral compass scare me. It goes back to that moment of its creation, Zuckerberg at his keyboard after a few drinks creating a website to compare people’s appearance, not for any real reason other than that he was able to do it.

That’s the crucial thing about Facebook, the main thing which isn’t understood about its motivation: it does things because it can. Zuckerberg knows how to do something, and other people don’t, so he does it. Motivation of that type doesn’t work in the Hollywood version of life, so Aaron Sorkin had to give Zuck a motive to do with social aspiration and rejection. But that’s wrong, completely wrong. He isn’t motivated by that kind of garden-variety psychology.

......He does this because he can, and justifications about ‘connection’ and ‘COMMUNITY’ are ex post facto rationalisations........

The drive is simpler and more basic. That’s why the impulse to growth has been so fundamental to the company, which is in many respects more like a virus than it is like a business. Grow and multiply and monetise. Why? There is no why. Because."

11. AbsolutelyBarking

Good work by UK Gov..

...for preventing this cosy advertising duopoly and getting them both to pay a fair share of tax. NOT!!

Here's an idea. Tax digital advertising REVENUE at the point of DELIVERY. Simples!!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So how much...

does renewable energy cost us, every minute?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like