back to article VMware open sources VR overlay for vSphere

VMware has open-sourced a “VR Data Center Experience” that puts a virtual reality overlay over its vSphere product, to give you a virtual view of virtual machines. The company first demonstrated this code at VMworld Europe, after it was whipped up at an earlier hackfest. The tool attempts to replicate vSphere functions as …

1. thondwe

It's a "Unix System"

I know this!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gimmick of the highest order

I have VR and cant believe VMware spent time developing this, which would have taken quite a bit of work.

Also it looks rather pointless from the "tech demo"

Maybe concentrate on making the client that everyone uses which is fast and responsive instead and bring back a Windows f'ing client and not just the slow web based one.

1. Nate Amsden

Re: Gimmick of the highest order

nothin but windows client here (through Xenapp)

probably will upgrade to 6.5 next year though (5.5 now)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Done before - to death

Years ago there was a toy that put your filesystem into Doom. You could run around it and shooting files ran rm.

4. DaLo

That CA Unicentre demo is pretty impressive for 1997.

Pointless but impressive.

1. adamr001

I would think it is older than 1997. The GUI looks like either Windows 3.x or Windows NT 3.x.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unicenter TNG

The Nintendo Game

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ps-doom

ps-doom

Later updated to ps-quake.

Fun firing a rocket at a process to kill -9 it.

7. johnnyblaze

Really?

That is just so completely and utterly.... pointless it almost defies comment. So, since Dell picked up VMware as part of the EMC deal, this is what they've been working on. Good to know vSphere 7 is looking well on course for release.

1. Nate Amsden

Re: Really?

hopefully 7 comes out and 6.5 will be stable at that point, I looked again at the feature set for 6 and 6.5 and see nothing that interests me, though 5.5 goes end of support next year I believe so will have to upgrade.

My track record for vmware support cases averages 1 or 2 per year for the past 5 years, would like to keep it that way (running around 1,200 VMs today).

8. derekdo

I could crash you from here, man. Wipe out your entire vCenter!

I need a Sino-logic 16. Sogo 7 Data Gloves, a GPL stealth module, one Burdine intelligent translator... to put a host into maintenance mode.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like