back to article Subscription disappointments keep FireEye in the red

FireEye won't reach profitability this calendar year: it posted a US$72.9 third-quarter net loss on revenue that grew 1.7 per cent to $189.6 million. However, the security company was able to announce that whoever breached one of its employees' accounts in July has been cuffed. In spite of claims that the company's networks …

1. Steve Button Silver badge

it posted a US$72.9 third-quarter net loss

That's pretty much the cost of a meal out? They could have cut expenses ever so slightly and made a profit.

1. Bronek Kozicki

Re: it posted a US$72.9 third-quarter net loss

makes me wonder if "1e6" was lost in translation

2. MAH

They have an awesome product and we are using their appliances at a client site, however the client has decided to move to lastline because even though the fireeye is catching Phishing and malware URL's and the lastline doesn't, the cost for lastline is 1/4 of fireeye and rely on Fortigate, Trend and other products to bridge the gap's in lastline since they already have those products in place anyhow.

Fireeye's problem is that while its a great product is way too expensive and so people are going to put in layers of protection from different vendors and still save money.

Fireeye needs to realize that the walmarts of the world make money because they are good enough for the pricepoint and that having a small number of really profitable customers isn't ask great as having millions of marginally profitable customers at the end of the day...especially since loss of a couple customers really won't make a financial impact at all...

1. Andy_Lee
      Facepalm

Layers of security

Even if it were the best product on the planet and was free as in beer, no security bod in his right mind would put all the eggs in a single basket or at least I wouldn't. But I agree it is a very good product and like some others I could name should be a part of the general armoury but they do appear to be pricing themselves out of the market.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon