back to article Micron gets edgy with 256GB surveillance SD card reveal in China

Micron has announced incoming snoopcam flash cards with up to 256GB capacity, trumpeting that edge storage is the future of video surveillance. The cards come in 32 and 64GB capacities now, with 128 and 256GB cards on the way. They use 64-layer, 2bits/cell (MLC), 3D NAND and have firmware that claims to minimise frame drops …

1. TRT Silver badge

With a network of cameras...

could one not distribute the storage in a sort of SAN configuration, obviating the need for a central storage facility, but still providing resilience in the event of a camera & it's record being destroyed during the very incident the footage would be useful for?

1. Anonymous Coward Silver badge

Re: With a network of cameras...

Good idea but it could introduce chain of evidence issues.

My ideal option would be a camera that both streams over the (wired) network and writes to local storage, which can be streamed and saved later.

Basically, the attack vectors for disabling IP CCTV (excluding network intrusion and hacking them) are: damage the camera (sniper's rifle); interrupt the backhaul (wifi jammers, wire cutters)

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

So all I need is to destroy the camera and no more footage?

Genius. Gimme that shotgun and let's start taking out the cameras first.

A camera is totally pointless unless it is dumping somewhere remote enough for it to be unaffected if it is destroyed first. A camera with a SD card is useful only if it is concealed in which case you do not need 256GB - it should be positioned and recording only if the main CCTV circuit has met its Terminator.

1. Natalie Gritpants

Re: So all I need is to destroy the camera and no more footage?

Agreed it's bass-akwards. I'm contracting at Cambium and their many of their wireless backhaul products have a POE enabled extra port to allow the customer to add a video camera pointing down the mast so you can see who is climbing up to steal the kit.

2. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: So all I need is to destroy the camera and no more footage?

The police use a crow bar. Now for the tricky question - if you miss one camera, can you get its evidence removed from the record because you had an expectation of privacy?

3. Pen-y-gors

Countdown?

They also have monitoring software which estimates the useful life remaining in the card.

So, basically counting down from 2,000,000 hours then?

1. Blotto Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: Countdown?

@pen-y-gors

yes start counting

2,000,000 hours is 228.3105023 years.

lets start that countdown!!

1. emmanuel goldstein

2,000,000 hours is 228.3105023 years

or about 1.5 giant tortoises.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

the 2Million hours is MTBF, not useful lifetime ...... Think 1000 SSDs running for 12 weeks .... 1 will fail in 2 million operational hours .....

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

SanDisk microSD cards

SanDisk has a higher capacity 400GB microSD card, using 3bits/cell (TLC) 3D NAND. This little sucker has a 10-year limited warranty and is meant for smartphone/digital camera use. The product is said to be impervious to water, temperature, shock, and even X-rays.

I dunno. I did buy the predecessor of that one - their 200GB card. It lasted for considerably less than 10 years (4 months, in fact - with about 3 full-disk writes in total). Going by the number of 1-star reviews it had on Amazon, about 10-15% percent of those who bothered to leave the review had the same problem.

Of course, nothing motivates the epistolary juices like a premature demise of a $100+ purchase - but I would take those MTBF and lifetime claims for a product which existed for less than a year with a shaker of salt.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Edge storage is worse

The only case in which it helps is if your cameras use wifi and someone tries to interrupt the wifi - but no one actually relying on the cameras to actually help in the case of criminal activity would ever use a wifi camera! If it is wired then cutting the wires also cuts the power so you are out whether you have edge storage or not. If you damage the camera and render it inoperative you're out whether you have edge storage or not.

Edge storage is worse for camera damage though since enough damage could destroy the SD card and eliminate PAST footage unless it is also simultaneously streamed to a central repository. It also makes it possible for someone to steal the SD card and look at that past footage, unless the camera supports encrypting the storage (and people can be bothered to change the default key of 00000 or whatever)

So in sum no advantages over central storage (unless you are dumb enough to use wifi cameras) and some serious disadvantages over central storage AND its more expensive? Yeah, I'll pass!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like