back to article Seagate's 'AI' disk drive: Just put slightly higher numbers on the specs

Seagate has bolted "AI" to its SkyHawk disk drive brand, saying it's better suited for next-generation deep learning and video analytics. The marketing department breathlessly describes it as "the first drive created specifically for artificial intelligence (AI) enabled video surveillance solutions". Sai Varanasi, VP product …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes I bought a 100GB Seagate once, it tunes out that a real world disk is ok to be 80% of what it actually advertised laving me with a measly 80GB capacity, you would't accept 80% of a car or 80% of a bus ride.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

This new one is even better. It can store an infinite amount of data and when you try and retrieve it - the AI argues you out of wanting that particular file

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

:(

You were probably just lucky with your car and bus...

my car only does 80% of the suggested MPG rating, and I have to walk to the bus (it doesn't come all the way to my door), and then it doesn't even drop me off exactly where I need to be :(

:'(

Oh, and all my hard drives have the same problem as yours.. bytes stated in in 1000K rather than 1024K :( and then they don't even account for the bytes lost to the filesystem setup... its like they just don't care.

3. Korev Silver badge
      Joke

Have you tried backing up to /dev/null*? Your backups will complete in record time...

* Stolen from an ancient BOFH**

** I want more space so I'll move to Texas

2. LeahroyNake

Can I have the fast one please ?

But its sustained transfer maximum rate is 214MB/sec; the 10TB SkyHawk max rate is 210TB/sec.

Blimey that's quick and rather significant !

1. DJ Smiley

Re: Can I have the fast one please ?

For some reason I was feeling kind and I've let el reg know. However, I wonder if we can use this as a product description and then demand that Seagate fulfil it?

Then again it's Seagate, I'd rather not.

3. ecofeco Silver badge

No no blockchain is the new hype

Serioisly the olds these days. Sheesh.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like