back to article Reaper IoT botnet ain't so scary, contains fewer than 20,000 drones

The Reaper IoT botnet is nowhere near as threatening as previously suggested, according to new research. Check Point Software Technologies warned last week that a new IoT botnet might have already infected "an estimated million organisations". Boffins at Arbor Networks, however, estimate that the actual size of the Reaper …

1. Dr Mantis Toboggan
    FAIL

shocker

Checkpoint scaremongering...

That's pretty much how they operate these days, they are the laughing stock of the tech sector and clearly don't take security seriously, as they would know the dangers of crying wolf too often.

2. enerider
    Coat

Obligatory Blue Oyster Cult reference

"Don't fear the Reaper"

3. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I thought you meant a botnet of flying drones...

And now nobody knows where they are...

Resting on my roof and brute-forcing my wi-fi...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I thought you meant a botnet of flying drones...

This week they are all in Seoul.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hajime

I'm a bit sceptical.

I just searched shodan.io for devices with the device name 'hacked-router-help-sos' and got 37,000 results. Shodan shows them as Ubiquiti devices of different models but I didn't scroll down very far, well, you wouldn't with 37,000 hits would you? This is consistent with 35,000 of them having responded to port 10001, which Wikipedia shows as Ubiquiti UniFi access points broadcast.

If Reaper has only infected 20,000 devices then it's far less effective than this 'vigilante' worm is with just one make of router.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like