back to article Apple vs. Samsung to climb back into rounded rectangle of justice

Samsung has won a retrial to reconsider damages in its patent suit against Apple. Chaebol-versus-Cupertino was revived courtesy of Judge Lucy Koh in the Northern District of California, who agreed with Samsung that it's worth revisiting the 2012 decision that handed Apple US$399 million. Samsung's also seen other decisions …

1. td97402

So Who Won?

Not Apple, definitely not Samsung. I think it must be the lawyers.

1. Phil Kingston

Re: So Who Won?

They're the only ones that always win...

2. Mage Silver badge

Lawyers

Recently started reading the John Grisham books. King of Torts was interesting,

3. DropBear
    Trollface

I always thought they should have chamfered the corners instead of filleting them - let's just make sure nobody tells to... uh... whoever owns the Battlestar Galactica IP.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Having the damages severely reduced on appeal could benefit Apple

Depending on exactly why they're reduced. If the court was to decide "hey, there are a quarter million patented technologies in a modern smartphone, so if you are quibbling over five patents you can't charge more than 1/50,000th of the sales price in royalties" or something even approaching that, Apple would have a great precedent in their case against Qualcomm - and they'd save far more money that way than they'd lose by having the $399 million reduced to almost nothing. In fact, it would throw the entire patent licensing world upside down, and that's pretty crazy reasoning, so I don't think its likely, but that seems to be what Samsung argued by bringing up the number of patents.

It is amazing this case is still going so long after the phones that originally were at issue were sold, like a zombie that's decayed to just bones and you can no longer suspend your disbelief that it is able to move.

1. Will Godfrey Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Having the damages severely reduced on appeal could benefit Apple

At this rate our grandchildren will still be buying the popcorn.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like