back to article Fappening celeb nudes hacking outrage: Third scumbag cops to charge

More than three years after miscreants splashed hundreds of stolen intimate photographs of celebrities online, a third man has been charged regarding the mass hack. Emilio Herrera, 32, of Chicago, is accused of breaking the US Computer Fraud and Abuse Act logging into online accounts and stealing victims' private snaps without …

1. cosymart
    Meh

2FA

You mean this type of 2 factor authentication? https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/10/25/pixie_2fa_project/

2. dol

Two types of stupid

There seems to be two types of stupid involved here. The low life's who steal and distribute private data and the idiots who take nude photos of themselves on internet connected devices and expect those images to remain private. A pox on both your houses.

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: Two types of stupid

My thoughts exactly. Why are they taking these images and storing them in the cloud in the first place?

Celebrities have had this problem since time immemorial, it used to be that their houses were broken into, the pictures stolen and sold on / copied. They make it much easier for scum these days by pre-distributing the images themselves...

3. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Criminal sentences following

For z-list 'celebs' whose PR leak sex tapes onto the web ?

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: Criminal sentences following

If it's authorised, it ain't criminal.

If not, it is. Simple.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. tony72

Attitudes

If there is one plus side to the whole sorry affair, it's that the response from some of the celebrities involved may have shifted attitudes on such things. Movie star Jennifer Lawrence, whose private photos in various states of undress were leaked, pointed out that those viewing and commenting on the pictures were "perpetuating a sexual offense and you should cower with shame."

Have attitudes changed though? Do they even need to? Some major sites may have implemented policies to ban stolen photos, more through fear of lawsuits than any moral shift I suspect, but the Fappening pics are all still readily available online, and I can only speak for myself, but I'm certainly not cowering in shame for having looked at them.

At the end of the day, they were pretty tame, mostly not-particularly-sexy pics of people I don't personally know (and in the cast of most of the "celebs" involved, had barely heard of), which I checked out to satisfy some mildly voyeuristic curiosity, shrugged and moved on. Regardless of J-Law's hyperbole and similar, I just can't make myself feel too bad about it. It's like rubbernecking at a car crash; you didn't make it happen, you wouldn't wish it to happen, but there it is, what can you do?

6. ratfox
    Paris Hilton

...and don't take pictures of yourself naked.

7. LazLong

Not cowering, nor ashamed

I found some of the photos interesting in that they were a small window into the banality of these 'stars.' I was also curious as to how they looked when not enhanced by makeup or CGI. Definitely nothing mastibatorily worthy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not cowering, nor ashamed

"I definitely would NOT hit it. Just look at those sharp knees. She is way below my standards". (Perfectly SFW, BTW).

Also, are you claiming it made any difference to the ethics of looking at these photos whether or not they turned out to be "mastibatorily worthy" [sic] by your partying-with-supermodels standards?

8. rmason

While I have every sympathy and I accept the actions are both illegal and immoral it remains a solid fact that if Ms Lawrence didn't want pictures of her bum-hole to become available then don't take photos of your bum hole. Show it to the folk in question in person.

I don't agree with car theft either, but i've little sympathy for anyone who hands the keys over to a scumbag who sent them an email and then bemoans the loss of a car.

Yes, they should all go to prison, but equally a lesson should be taken by all the vacuous types who do this.

If no pictures of "little mason" exist then no one can see it if I don't want the, too. If pictures of "little mason" exist AND are on the cloud.....well. I can prosecute those who stole them, as is being done here, but I can't exactly be furious about it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@rmason "and I can prosecute those who stole them" not stole, copied.

Stealing requires depriving legal owner of item, unlicensed distribution and using phished credentials more applicable.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still lots of down votes from the people who think that

the downsides to their exhibitionism should be fought at everyone else's expense.

Personally I would make it against the law to make pron unless you are licensed and any resulting uncontrolled media distribution redressable only via copyright infringement i.e. not criminal and at the expense of exhibitionist and photographer.

If all legal pron was water marked with identity of subjects and photographer then what remained would be illegal and result in the only the correct guilty parties being processed via criminal courts. Since the subject can claim ignorance at any time then taking dodgy photos without a contract/license would be correctly seen as being a liability. As to unlicensed distribution we already have far to many laws to cover this and they should also be limited to civil courts

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like