back to article AI might outsmart ITIL, make MTBF moot, says ServiceNow strategist

Artificial Intelligence might just make IT organisations look for new measures of their success and lead to a rethink of ITIL, according to ServiceNow's chief strategy officer Dave Wright. ServiceNow acquired AI outfit DxContinuum in January 2017 and will debut its wares in the “Kingston” release of its signature SaaS, which …

1. jake Silver badge

Or, as we used to say in the 1960s ...

... "If you can't dazzle 'em with brilliance, baffle 'em with bullshit."

Hey, profit's profit, right? Who cares if we're without hono(u)r in our own country, as long as the shareholders are happy at the end of the quarter!

2. BoldMan

Nothing new in that - its called a bloody rules engine albiet with some statistical weighting. AI it definitely isn't. Not new, RIghtNow were doing it 10 years ago before Oracle bought it and fucked it all up.

1. Mark 110

And if you wait til you have had 50,000 requests until you sort the workflows for those requests out then you are doing it wrong. And you still need to build the data model and support structure for the AI to use - chances are you will have built your workflows around that (or vice versa) in the first place.

Might be useful for discovering the workflows you never got around to sorting and have been winging it in the meantime I guess.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Mushroom

More Buzzword spaghetti.

I'd guess that some of it will stick. I pity the poor sods who have to explain that AI told them that their system would have an MTBF of 100+ years and it failed the first day due to a single point of failure.

The 'genius' who designed it will be long gone and wreaking expensive havoc at another company by then.

"Another fine mess some young upstart /knowitall consultant got us into," says the IT Support manager to the PHB who signed off on the project.

The IT guy gets outsourced and the PHB becomes COO.

[see icon] for how this will all end.

It is clear that the GIGO principal has been and is being ignored with all this AI shite.

4. Not also known as SC

???

"What if you log an incident that AI helped you to avoid?"

Why would you log an IT incident that didn't happen?

1. Mark 110

Re: ???

MI - and you would probably log it as some kind of preventative maintenance request from the AI rather than an incident.

2. OneArmedBoxer

Re: ???

Why would you raise a problem even if it hadn't caused any incidents?

Personally I'd track that info but I'd also track incidents that the AI should have prevented...

5. RobertLongshaft

When did we start referring to all forms of automation as AI? Oh when AI started making us money, stupid!

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Flame

"Artificial Intelligence might..."

When we have AI, there's a ton of things that might happen.

Until that day, we DON'T HAVE A I.

Stop using the notion.

1. Mark 110

Re: "Artificial Intelligence might..."

We need to keep repeating this:

Current AI is not intelligent and therefore is not AI

7. lucki bstard

Proactive replacement

'allowing replacement of potentially-faulty equipment.'

There are quite a few vendors that don't do this, let alone a large number of companies that won't do this, why would he believe that this will become acceptable? What does service now (which I know a few companies won't implement due to cost) think they can offer that can change this mindset that proactive replacement is not covered by vendor support? If for example I have a high probability of a disk or appliance failure unless I can show it has failed most vendors will shrug and just say it hasn't failed yet its not their issue. I don't really see the value that this offers.

8. Dave Harvey
    Alien

I've just picked up a fault in the AE35 unit. It's going to go 100% failure in 72 hours

And it does turn out to be wrong....well we know what happens next!

9. Wings2i

AI and ITIL

AI definitely enhances ITIL and thereby ITSM...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like