back to article A plethora of patches, Kaspersky hits back, new hope for Wannacry Brit hero – and more

IT admins aren't always fond of patching. It's like going to the dentist – it needs to be done but it can be a pain to do. Sadly, this week there was a lot of patching to be done. The Wi-Fi WPA2 weakness dubbed KRACK burdened Android, Linux and macOS users at work and home with patch installation responsibilities, and Cisco …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No update for my Samasung

I guess tab3 SM310 doesn't need a patch or just one more example of product abandonment

2. Florida1920
    Facepalm

Hutchins

Yeah, he's going to slip off the ankle bracelet and swim from California back to the UK. SMH.

1. James O'Shea

Re: Hutchins

"Yeah, he's going to slip off the ankle bracelet and swim from California back to the UK. SMH."

No he won't... but he might swim to a boat off shore. If he gets onto a British flagged vessel, well, the odds of Unc Sugar getting him back aren't good.

1. Florida1920

No he won't... but he might swim to a boat off shore. If he gets onto a British flagged vessel, well, the odds of Unc Sugar getting him back aren't good.
        Not if Agent Lucy has anything to say about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_the_Needle_(film)

2. David Roberts
        Black Helicopters

If he swims to a UK registered ship then the ankle bracelet is irrelevant. Only a problem for him if he gets shipped back to the USA. Unless Semtex, of course.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Hutchins - "If he gets onto a British flagged vessel"

I'd go for Ecuador or Russia myself.

At the moment, the Conservative Party would only roll over and die for Trump.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

Re: Hutchins - "If he gets onto a British flagged vessel"

For anyone wanting to read up a bit more on Hutchins' past, you could do worse than check out

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/who-is-marcus-hutchins/

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Expert using Kaspersky?

You can see that as an endorsement, or you can see it as "I had a copy of Kaspersky laying around so I used it". Just because he's an expert doesn't mean all his decisions are made with due deliberation and care. Maybe he was the sort of expert who thinks he's so smart he's immune to being hacked and simply was careless.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"including some in our Mac business unit"

Nice of Microsoft to toss that one out, I guess to say "I know it seems like poetic justice to many of you that we got hacked due to our own buggy software, but hey look over here someone else's stuff got hacked too!"

5. ThatOne Silver badge
    Facepalm

Kaspersky Endorsement? Not really

What exactly is an endorsement by a guy who got easily hacked worth?

I can understand why Kaspersky doesn't want to insist on that specific aspect...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft getting hacked

Didn't even seen to make the news, but Sony getting hacked was newsworthy for weeks.. that's the power Microsoft has over the media...

1. Paul 195

Re: Microsoft getting hacked

Sony got hacked and lots of juicy emails about directors, rows with celebrities, etc got leaked. Microsoft's bug database gets hacked, most journalists will barely understand why that might be important.

I can see why one interested the redtops and one didn't, and it's got nothing to do with Microsoft's power over the media.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon