back to article Resellers on Surface: Yeah, go ahead and kill it. What do we care...

The biggest tech resellers in Europe would not mourn the demise of the Surface device should Microsoft decide to kill it off by 2019, as was recently predicted at the Canalys Channels Forum. Industry figures including Steve Brazier, CEO at Canalys; Lenovo COO Gianfranco Lanci; and Dell president Marius Haas have all claimed …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I bought my Surface directly from Microsoft.

Just like many people do with Apple, I believe.

Probably it's what is worrying "the channel"?

1. jm19094

Re: I bought my Surface directly from Microsoft.

I bought mine direct from Microsoft as well, but I doubt that's what bothers the likes of Computacenter.

They make razor thin margins on desktops/laptops/tablets and sell in massive bulk to businesses - if they can't make money out of it, it's because there isn't the kind of demand to support that business model.

Another way they sneak in a bit more profit is charging over the odds for accessories and things like memory upgrades (big companies don't shop around for that stuff) and with the Surface being non-upgradable that's another factor.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How can they be loosing money on something that they are selling several billion dollars a year worth of at such a high price?!

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

I expect the margins are razor thin and resellers have to field support calls like "the battery doesn't last very long" and "it won't sleep and wake up properly".

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I agree entirely. I don't believe for a moment that they are losing money from a billion dollar business, especially given that most people probably buy direct from Microsoft so they don't have the distribution network and logistical costs, and the middlemen to pay.

I also very much doubt they would have bothered to expand the range to the Book and Laptop if they were making a loss, let alone continued with the program.

No, this is quite simply a case of competitors (Dell, Lenovo etc.) bleating because they are losing sales to the Surface. If they had any sense they would attack Apple or the Chromebook instead. If their claims were true it's unlikely they would be making such a fuss about it. If it's a loss-maker why are they all copying it?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The issue here is not where you bought it from, but what it is.

Surface is a dead productline, as is everything else Microsoft Hardware (and much Software too these days).

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I bought my Surface directly from Microsoft

With your own money? Seriously?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft told us previously that “Surface continues to drive category growth and redefine the way people create, learn and work. You’ll see us continue to innovate and create devices that offer users new and impactful experiences”

"Impactful experiences"? What, like being hit in the head or having an automotive accident?

Did this spokesperson even read a single book which was not a marketing manual, ever in their life?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's Microsoft

Soulless marketing-speak is the prevailing culture at Redmond. The Microsofties genuinely believe their PR-driven bovine excrement.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: It's Microsoft

It's actually a citation from the dread Necromarketdroicion, written by the mad carpet seller, Abdul All Discount.

3. Pompous Git Silver badge

In another thread...

I was assured the iPad Pro was the way to go. After a little searching, I came across this:

Wacom MobileStudio Pro.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: In another thread...

Hmm, nice but niche. i7, nVidia etc. Wacom appeared to have ditched their Android tablet... I guess iPads are better supported by 3rd party devs, and fit better into the Mac workflow often favoured by graphics types.

CAD types, who can often have a use for a quality stylus, have usually gone for Windows PCs

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

"Hmm, nice but niche."
        Very and pricey @ $AU4,324 delivered.

"CAD types, who can often have a use for a quality stylus, have usually gone for Windows PCs"
        Indeed, but there is a significant number of artists using Corel graphics software. I'll be purchasing the Cintiq 27QHD display for a thousand dollars less. I don't need portability.

2. GBE

> Wacom MobileStudio Pro.

I don't see anywhere on that page where it says what OS it runs. Seems like a rather major detail to omit.

1. Ilsa Loving

Considering that it has an intel processor in it and touts paintshop pro, it's most likely windows. AFAIK there is no android version of PSP.

2. Pompous Git Silver badge

"I don't see anywhere on that page where it says what OS it runs. Seems like a rather major detail to omit."
        Ctrl-F, operating, Enter finds Windows 10. It's easy when you know how to use a computer...

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Diogenes

Re: Who Is Buying Surface ???

As a teacher, it is an almost perfect classroom device. Touch and stylus and the tablet formfactor are really useful when wandering around the classroom, and it uses the software that is on our desktops.

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Hi Shadmeister

Do note that the MS Surface range includes a convertible laptop, a traditional laptop and a desktop - not just tablets.

Whilst not everybody has a use for a stylus, I think you'll agree that a precision stylus is actually useful for some people (agreed, not the mass market) whereas a plain ol touchscreen is a bit 'meh' on a laptop.

Anyway, the purpose of the Surface range was to get other Windows PC vendors to up their game - and it appears to have worked. There's some cracking hardware out there. Sadly for 'the channel' many of us find our 5 year old computers still fit for our purposes.

Regard D

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ teacher 100 lines of form factor is two words now

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"This is the main reason people buy tablets - basic computing and entertainment only."

Are you sure?

My Surface doubles as a tablet *and* a laptop. I need only one device, instead of two. Especially while traveling, far more comfortable.

It may look more expensive, but if I had to buy a laptop *and* a tablet I wouldn't spend much less, and would lose the flexibility.

4. Tikimon
      WTF?

We are! 45-person non-profit, we give Surface tabs to our outreach nurses and social workers. We moved to SIM-equipped Surface from larger Lenovo convertibles that needed a hotspot for net access. Small, light and fairly powerful. Our staff love them, darn it.

Segue to a generic rant how I'm ever more reluctant to buy a new product because I don't know if it will be around very long.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

We are! 45-person non-profit,

At the prices Microsoft are charging for a Surface, I can understand why you're a non-profit.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

At the prices Microsoft are charging for a Surface, I can understand why you're a non-profit.

Being a non-profit does not mean that raking it in and paying hadnsome fees internally is a no-go area.

2. Ilsa Loving

> Segue to a generic rant how I'm ever more reluctant to buy a new product because I don't know if it will be around very long.

This is why I won't consider one. It's a nice enough device, but a) it runs Windows 10 which Microsoft has done a fantastic job of making me despise with all my being, and b) Microsoft has not been able to put out one single product this past decade that they haven't subsequently stabbed people in the back with.

" Microsoft has not been able to put out one single product this past decade that they haven't subsequently stabbed people in the back with."
          I'm trying to get my head around stabbing someone with a mouse!

Downvote not from me BTW...

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Surface seems to be Microsoft trying to gain market share in the tablet arena, with an overpriced unit, with more functionality than most people will ever need."

Surface is not targeted at "most people". It's a high end product for high end uses...

5. ColonelClaw
    Coat

So, it doesn't generate profit?

You could never do that with a Mac

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've had various android and apple tablets over the years since they firt came on the market.

The last time I used my ipad air was the day I purchased my surface pro.

They are very good devices. I can run regular PC software on it - this is the main thing for me.

The operating system is what matters, if Apple used MacOS on their ipads then it would be much better but they don't - this is the problem.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sure, you and everyone who has used one say they're great, but I've never met any of you in real life. Surface seems to be that Big Fish in the mouth of the White Buffalo. I guess I'll keep an eye out, because I never know (or maybe I'll never know?).

1. coolcity

Think about it, it's not the type of device that you will see people pull out of a backpack or suitcase on a train or in the park because of it's size, so is not the sort of thing you're likely to actually see in use everyday life as such, in the way that you're likely to see people with an iPad. Most people I've seen with iPad outdoors have the smaller versions. I was surprised they canned the Surface Mini for that reason.

"not the sort of thing you're likely to actually see in use everyday life as such, in the way that you're likely to see people with an iPad. "
          Most of the people I've seen using iPads have been in front of me at music concerts where they successfully prevent anyone shorter than 10 feet tall seeing what's happening on stage.

2. jmch Silver badge

"... if Apple used MacOS on their ipads..."

I believe there are some efforts underway to integrate iOS and OSX (for example killing iPhoto on OSX to replace it with the iOS-derived version). BUT that is a huge process, and I'm not at all sure how much common code base is shared between the 2. Apple sell a ton of kit with either OS so it's probbaly not a priority for them.

Microsoft had a good shot with their original Windows Mobile, and the right idea with Continuum of getting a common code base. But didn't get critical mass with many apps not being converted and so missed that boat.

I guess that since Android is broadly speaking Linux-based that Google would have a good shot at combining a phone with a laptop, but they aren't interested in selling you a Linux desktop

Having a full-fledged desktop OS on mobile would be awesome in a way, just connect peripherals and you can work with a desk(lap)top wherever you have your phone. But there's still a long way to go to get there

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I believe there are some efforts underway to integrate iOS and OSX"

Just the trend looks to be to have mobile/tablets apps working on desktop, not viceversa like the Surface allows.

While I understand a phone alone is not the right device to run desktop apps (unless you "dock" it to some peripherals), the difference between a larger tablet and a desktop is much more blurred.

What I like of the Surface is exactly I can run desktop applications like Lightroom, and not its "mobile" version. It's also much easier to transfer photos from camera cards to an external disk, and it doesn't rely on any "cloud" storage - when abroad in countries were data roaming fees are absurd, and hotel wifi totally untrusted, it's important.

Many applications also come with a license that allows to install on two devices, so software availability is not an issue.

7. adam payne

'Microsoft told us previously that “Surface continues to drive category growth and redefine the way people create, learn and work. You’ll see us continue to innovate and create devices that offer users new and impactful experiences”. '

That sounds like the Microsoft random buzzword generator is being used again.

Impactful experiences? does that mean smashing the thing on the desk because the display has failed again or that battery gives you a grand total of 4 minutes on battery power even though it's only a few months old? Maybe it's the HDMI out that has decided to stop working for the millionth time forcing you to reboot it again.

8. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Surface Hubs

We have Surface hubs in each of our IT and core business offices. As far as I can see they are just VERY expensive TVs, as getting all of the supposedly "collaborative" stuff working is a major PITA that just doesn't work. The most productive thing we have done with ours is to present Kanban boards to the wider IT teams, and watch Rogue 1 on it via USB stick.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Surface Hubs

"We have Surface hubs in each of our IT and core business offices. As far as I can see they are just VERY expensive TVs"

Very expensive mutipoint hi res touch screen TVs with camera / Kinect. They are a lot cheaper now then they used to be!

"as getting all of the supposedly "collaborative" stuff working is a major PITA that just doesn't work."

Works just fine here. It's a breeze to use.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've never used a Surface but I know I don't like it.

10. Ramazan
    Pint

Microsoft told us previously that “Surface continues to drive category growth

continues to drive category growth down, fixed it for ya.

11. Banksy

Surface Book 2

They just announced a Surface Book 2 (https://www.engadget.com/2017/10/17/microsoft-introduces-surface-book-2/) so chances of killing off the line don't look too high.

Also, the channel saying "nobody makes any money" misses the point. MS launched these to show that PCs, laptops and tablets running Windows didn't have to be ugly or beige with the intention that other manufacturers would follow the design cues. So they're not necessarily running this product line just for $$$$.

12. IGnatius T Foobar
    FAIL

Microsoft, get out of the tablet business.

Microsoft should just get out of the tablet business completely. 100% of Microsoft's "touch" interface is complete crap. Re-optimize Windows for use with a mouse and keyboard. Anyone who wants a tablet is going to buy one with iOS or Android anyway.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Surface Book 2??

Microsoft just announced the Surface Book 2 - in 2 sizes. The 15 incher is going to go head to head with the high end Macs. I think sales and development of this line are going to continue!!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like