back to article Twitter to be 'aggressive' enforcer of new, stronger rules

Twitter has reacted to last week's criticism arising from its suspension of actor actress Rose McGowan's account, after she strongly criticised alleged sex fiend Harvey Weinstein – by announcing it will soon implement and aggressively police new community standards. The micro-blogging network's co-funder and CEO Jack Dorsey …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nope, @realPOTUS is here to stay

I cannot possible believe they would have the balls to shut down that account. No way *at* *all*.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Nope, @realPOTUS is here to stay

There is no "@realPOTUS". Trump tweets from his own account, not the @POTUS account which is the official account of the president.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Nope, @realPOTUS is here to stay

Yeah, apologies. It's a side effect of me no longer using it at all. I closed the account as, on evaluation, it added zero value to my life (I have precisely zero need to be public in any way, shape or form). I figured I'd be better off without.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I'm sure you are.

My wife, against my counsel, signed up to Facebook a few years ago. She used it for over two years until one day, out of the blue, she told me she was shutting it down because "it made her aggressive" and she decided that she didn't like that.

I was so happy and relieved that day.

2. MyffyW Silver badge

Can't be arsed to read the terms of service....

I don't recall the threat of nuclear annihilation being mentioned per se so maybe the Orange One will be ok...

2. Dr Scrum Master

Violent Groups

Armed forces?

Martial arts groups?

Boxers?

Wrestlers?

Rugby clubs?

1. Lysenko

Re: Violent Groups

Good point. Looks like some pretty unequivocal "glorification of violence" going here. You can draw a distinction based on fiction, jokes or sport but these guys are entirely serious about actually killing people and taking pride in what they do.

Re: "these guys are entirely serious about actually killing people and taking pride in what they do"

On the other hand, it is their job.

They risk being killed whatever happens. Might as well take pride in being competent.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Violent Groups

It all depends on whether they're using the dictionary definition of violence or the post modernist definition of violence

1. The Nazz

Re: Violent Groups, nay, Individual snowfakes

In or out ?

A typical snowflake tweeting : "next time she says that, or looks at me funny, i'll smash her fucking face in." in response to a harmless and benign tweet, maybe the wrong time of month.

Usually by the same female snowflakes that otherwise abhor violence.

OK, she's unlikely to do it, but it just adds to the nasty undercurrent that's on there. As PM highlighted above, the aggression effect.

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Maybe just rebrand to core values?

"Misogynistter" perhaps?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If they ever shut down Trump's account

Or even deleted one of his tweets, we'd see him throw a hissy fit bigger than any of the others he's thrown. He uses Twitter as a way to communicate directly to his followers - and everyone else, since it makes all the cable news nets whenever he tweets something so those of us who don't even use Twitter let alone follow him find out pretty quickly what he's been saying.

They'd have to be REALLY damn sure before they shut him down, and couldn't do it over something like the golf ball hitting Hillary thing (which, unless he has a golf course with a runway in the fairway, is basically implying that he's a shitty golfer who hits such bad shots he hits someone boarding an airplane!) That's not a threat, just a lame joke.

The risk is, if they maintain an obvious double standard where he's allowed to post the exact same things they shut down other people's accounts for, then they're going to catch a ton of heat. Shut down Trump's account on the other hand, and not only do you get the orange snowflake's outrage, but millions of his followers will turn on them. Dorsey's potentially setting Twitter up to make it a lightning rod for hate either from the left or from the right - or worse, both. That's not a good place for a business that wants to appeal to everyone, not become a darling of the right or the left.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If they ever shut down Trump's account

Or even deleted one of his tweets, we'd see him throw a hissy fit bigger than any of the others he's thrown

Ah, but herein lies the question: how would he do that? Trump using Twitter exclusively for announcements has created a nice single point of failure for him, especially because he has simultaneously been pissing off the press and thus has no good relationship with them for spreading The Word Of Trump, and Fox News on cable isn't going to cut it for immediacy.

If I were a Democrat or really any of the vast volumes of people he has alienated I'd do my damnest to get his Twitter account closed because that would effectively kill off his communication strategy right there. He's too ugly and too vain for Instagram..

1. illuminatus

The easy way to do it is to let him keep his account, but then turn on the mute for every other user in the world. Still in the followers list, but can't hear shit. And he can blissfully twitter-piss into the wind. We just have to make sure no one tells him...

1. Teiwaz

The easy way to do it is to let him keep his account, but then turn on the mute for every other user in the world.

Works for me...

But that wouldn't stop 'evangelists' from retweeting and 'news agencies' from publishing.

A southsea island could disappear beneath the waves in a 'Atlantis level' incident and I'd not be surprised if the event was joint top news item with Trumpetings.

1. Jedit Silver badge
            Headmaster

"that wouldn't stop 'evangelists' from retweeting"

The OP is talking about hellbanning Trump. If you're hellbanned, the only person who can see what you post is you. You think you're talking to the world, but you're just screaming into the void. So nobody would be retweeting or publishing, because they'd never see it.

Go for it.

Please.

2. cosmogoblin

I'd hoped that when the Secret Service took his phone away to secure it, they'd install a fake Twitter app that didn't actually broadcast ... They could even have hooked up a few AI bots to argue with him!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ah, but herein lies the question: how would he do that?

Pretty sure he can get before the worldwide press with about two minutes notice if he wants, so he isn't going to have any problems with that. It isn't like one of us who could only whine to our friends about it.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Pretty sure he can get before the worldwide press with about two minutes notice if he wants, so he isn't going to have any problems with that.

Ah, but that creates the exact dynamics he's desperate to avoid: he becomes beholden to the assembled Press to spread The Word and he needs to plan it.

In addition, taking into account his normal tweeting, umm, "operating conditions" he'd need a far bigger toilet to fit everyone in :).

5. Anonymous c0w@®d

As the saying goes, kill two birds with one stone. Well twitter, one of those tweet tweet birds is you.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

if @realdonaldtrump passes test

come, come, there are rules, and there are... rulers of the world, and you don't risk your business to piss them off. You wouldn't honestly believe twitter, facebook, etc. were to leave supervision of certain accounts to mere bot-ting.... That said, it would be pretty telling if they let the orange-haired comments stay, and then delete identical ones made by some no-name, like me. I'm sure the active opponents of the President are already waiting to make this strike ;)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The political choice you make by not making a political choice

It's almost as though by not protecting people from the nazis they were effectively protecting the nazis all along.

I love Twitter and I use it a lot, but I still feel that closing it down altogether would probably be a public good.

1. Mark 85

Re: The political choice you make by not making a political choice

Reading other news sources indicates that Twitter may be self-destructing. Low income while bleeding cash, falling membership, etc. It would appear just to be a matter of time. If it fails during the next say, 4 years, Trump (and others) will have to find a new outlet for their bleatings*.

*reference dictionary.com for appropriateness.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like