back to article Computers4Christians miraculously appears on Ubuntu wiki

Ubuntu's wiki page this morning temporarily played host to a bit of info from religious group Computers4Christians, whose aim is to propagate the use of its operating system to spread the word of the Lord. It is not known who is behind the hijack. While many open-source advocates might appear to be on a mission from God …

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Time to switch to BSD

I should spin up a couple of BSDs in the house and proudly raise a flag with the Beastie on it in front of the house. D(a)emon wearing basketball boots. Hmmm... this is appealing...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

IT'S A DEMON, NOT A DEVIL

The concept of a daemon on which the BSD beasty is based is on Greek wood spirits that maintain nature in the background, and all that rot. At the time the concept of independently running background services was revolutionary.

No Christian mythology involved.

1. Jonathan 27

Re: IT'S A DEMON, NOT A DEVIL

I think "pagan" religions are more threatening to Christian fundamentalists than Christian demons would be.

1. Teiwaz

Re: IT'S A DEMON, NOT A DEVIL

I think "pagan" religions are more threatening to Christian fundamentalists than Christian demons would be.

Eeesch! "pagan" religions are not more threatening, Christian fundamentalists are just more offended by their existence.

Early christianity was just the low-brow freebie version of the Cult of Mithras.

2. WolfFan Silver badge

Re: Time to switch to BSD

Feh. Wrong gender. http://freebsd-image-gallery.netcode.pl/_daemonette/FreeBSD-tan___by_captainslug.jpg or perhaps http://freebsd-image-gallery.netcode.pl/_daemonette/devilgirl.jpg

If you're gonna annoy the bible-thumpers, really annoy the bible-thumpers.

1. druck Silver badge
        Devil

Re: Time to switch to BSD

Bah, there is only one true Daemonette!

http://www.bishopston.com/jamie/misc/bsd-daemonette/

2. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

If the Christian OS ever crashes, does it just restart itself three days later?

1. wolfetone Silver badge

It has enough problems with the daemons it has to even consider that.

1. Marco Fontani
        Joke

It has enough problems with the daemons it has

thought they renamed SystemD to SystemG in that distro :/

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It is cross platform

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yes but you'll have a hard time getting people to believe it.

4. Fatman
      Joke

RE: Christian OS

<quote>If the Christian OS ever crashes, does it just restart itself three days later?</quote>

Cute

But, I wonder, in the event Christian OS gets infected with malware, are you required to secure the services of an exorcist???? "In the name of Jesus Christ, Our Lord and Savior; get out of our Holy OS you demonic infestation."

5. Disgusted of Cheltenham

Zero days

No, it's on the third day, i.e two days later.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's not very christian, is it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

RE: "That's not very christian, is it?"

Almost none of them are, fortunately.

4. Khaptain Silver badge

Direct link to Deity

Why do "believers" need computers ? Doesn't their Deity already provide them with a direct link to all that they need to know ?

I am always amazed at just how much coercion/publicity etc that the "pushers of belief" require to spread their particular version of dogma.

From my point of understanding : If a Deity truly existed there would be no need for religion..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Direct link to Deity

"From my point of understanding : If a Deity truly existed there would be no need for religion.."

Your point of understanding is wrong.

Look not at the religion itself but on the effect it has on those who believe in it. You might think it's horseshit, but it was probably the one thing that stopped the person taking their own life.

It can be very hard to judge something or other people by something that isn't yourself.

Source: an episode of depression several years ago and very nearly topped myself. It was only the local priest who would take time and talk to me. Not pushing my belief on anyone else with the above. Just giving another point of view.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

"Look not at the religion itself but on the effect it has on those who believe in it".

Do you truly believe that religion has only positive effects ?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Look not at the religion itself but on the effect it has on those who believe in it".

Do you truly believe that religion has only positive effects ?

Or, more tellingly, look at the effect on people who believe in it have on others.

Yes, there plenty of people who receive acts of charity performed by believers who feel it is their duty to do according to their faith.

There have also been plenty of others who have been killed or persecuted by believers who feel it their duty to do so according to their faith.

2. hplasm
          FAIL

They sometimes explode.

1. Chemical Bob

Re: They sometimes explode.

You say that like it's a bad thing...

2. Khaptain Silver badge

"It was only the local priest who would take time and talk to me"

Then it was human not divine intervention that saved you, two very completely different things...

1. Dan Wilkie

Arguably it was a human who was driven to their course of action by their belief in a deity that shaped their moral values.

Disclosure: I'm not a Christian so I have no vested interest. However I also have no issue with people believing what they want to believe and think Militant Atheists are the worst thing since Militant Missionaries - at least they invented a practical sex-move...

1. Khaptain Silver badge

"Arguably it was a human who was driven to their course of action by their belief in a deity that shaped their moral values."

I could counter-argue by stating that anyone in search of self improvement has made a positive decision to improve oneself. The merit lies in their decision to self improve, not in the means by which it was done.

2. Teiwaz

Militant Atheists are the worst thing since Militant Missionaries

Both are 'evangelists' seeking to convert others to the same world-view as themselves.

It's these 'there can be only one' world view types are the source of most of humanities issues. Be it One God, One Faith, One Party or one interpretation of scripture.

They'll bother everyone with leaflets on the streets, today, but given half the chance they'll all gleefully return to herding people into rivers and stacking kindling round non-conformers.

1. Mark 85

@Teiwaz -- Re: Direct link to Deity

Sort of like politics then? Come to think of it... both are very similar.

1. Teiwaz

Re: @Teiwaz -- Direct link to Deity

Sort of like politics then? Come to think of it... both are very similar.

Two definitions to politics -

1 Activities connected with governing.

2 Activities connected to positioning of an individual within an organisation.

Depends on the politics - in the jovial, frontal lobotomy public face of British politics, the combatants appear to prefer getting the mental best of an adversary in the political ring*. They like to pretend it's all in the name of the 1st definition, but it's become all about the 2nd a long time ago.

* Which has been all posture, spin, and coached handwaving lessons these days.

In the evangelists eyes, an adversary is someone holding an opposing world view which because it's not their viewpoint it is a threat that must be eradicated if its proponents cannot be converted or won over, they must be purged. While The evangelist may be political motivated or a true believer, the politically motivated one may be reasoned with or bribed, the true believers are the real dangerous ones.

3. Pollik

I am glad it worked for you, but really and truthfully, one does not have to be religious to care about strangers.

And of course, religion has been responsible for many deaths and traumatic experiences, such as children in their care. Doubly heinous since that is also breach of trust in a privileged position.

Caveat - I treat religion and personal faith as separate concepts. I have no issue with the latter.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@Pollik

Slight correction.

religion has been responsible for many deaths and traumatic experiences

should be

religion has been an excuse for many deaths and traumatic experiences

In my opinion anyway.

Wars are fought for three things, Money, Land/Resources or Power, religion is a tool to get people on your side.

1. Pedigree-Pete
            Coat

@AC @Pollick. Amen to that. PP

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

" It was only the local priest who would take time"

Yes, religions are used to attack people when they are weaker... it's much easier to lure them into their creed in such situations. It's exactly the time you need to be more vigilant...

It's really no different from what con artists do... after all, that's what religions where invented for.

5. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Your point of understanding is wrong

Why is it wrong? How do you measure right and wrong? The usual tests for truth in religion are "I read it in a book" and "in my heart I know it is true" (often a bit both). I am a scientist. In science, the test of truth is an experiment. A good experiment is well documented so anyone can check the experiment actually tests the conjecture. It should be repeatable so any who doubt the results can do the experiment themselves. There is in fact a well documented experiment to test for the existence of the christian god. I am not convinced that the published results are entirely accurate, so I would like to re-do Nebuchadnezzar's experiment.

Any volunteers?

1. John Robson Silver badge

Nebuchadnezzar didn't perform an experiment though, so you can't repeat it.

Interestingly there is a significant amount of scientific theory which we find ourselves unable to test, and yet seem to be defended religiously by people who don't understand them fully...

I'd suggest that the original premise (From my point of understanding : If a Deity truly existed there would be no need for religion..) is about as valid as "If democracy truly existed there would be no need for voting".

Religion isn't needed per se - a relationship doesn't *need* the structure of organised religion (I'm assuming that it's organised religion that is being objected to). However it's common for groups to form when they have a common interest/relationship, and it'd common for those groups to have a set of behaviours which reflects their common interests/relationship.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: Nebuchadnezzar's experiment

Nebuchadnezzar's experiment requires a fiery furnace and three people with faith that their god will protect them. You can find the experiment documented here along with Nebuchadnezzar's results. It is possible that the source document is not entirely reliable, that Nebuchadnezzar never conducted the experiment and the results were fabricated. I would prefer not to make such allegations without evidence.

There are countries where preaching Christianity is a crime that carries the death sentence. A quick web search for "missionaries burned alive" gives a distressing number of results. Clearly Nebuchadnezzar's experiment has already been tried repeatedly (although possibly not by the man himself) and the results contradict the original publication. Perhaps the experimental subjects lacked the required faith. Perhaps they were not given sufficient opportunity to change their mind about the strength of their faith as Nebuchadnezzar did (allegedly).

I would gladly abandon conducting the experiment if the existing evidence is widely accepted as proof of the non-existence of god. Until then, any volunteers?

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Interestingly there is a significant amount of scientific theory which we find ourselves unable to test,"

Isn't that a hypothesis rather than a theory?

2. bitten

Scientist read books quoting other books. No need for God to be religious just a "superhuman controlling power"

6. David Nash Silver badge

"Source: an episode of depression several years ago and very nearly topped myself. It was only the local priest who would take time and talk to me."

I am sorry for your depression and glad you were helped. But I would say it's a very edge case for claiming that supernatural forces exist just in case belief in such can help people in that way.

If religion didn't exist, you could just as easily have been helped by a rational humanist for example.

If the guy who had helped you had believed in a different God than you, say he seriously appeared to believe in the old Norse gods, would that have helped and justified such belief?

To be clear: some of the effects of religion can be helpful on occasions but that does not mean that religion is the only way of achieving such effects; nor does it mean that all effects of religion are beneficial.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

"I am sorry for your depression and glad you were helped. But I would say it's a very edge case for claiming that supernatural forces exist just in case belief in such can help people in that way.

If religion didn't exist, you could just as easily have been helped by a rational humanist for example."

The problem here is that rational humanists don't go on the street to help their fellow human beings. Them who believe in Big G do because they are commanded by Big G to do so.

My oldest son is a believer who does that kind of thing. The existence/non-existence of God is irrelevant. The belief in God and His commandments is not.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

@Pompus Git

"The problem here is that rational humanists don't go on the street to help their fellow human beings."

Actually they do. Not all of them, and not all the time, but the same is true of Christians. The big difference is that atheists help other people to make the world a better place for everyone. Christians do what they do to buy comfort for themselves in their afterlife.

Re: @Pompus Git

@ Fluck Kores

What's the name of this atheist equivalent of The Salvation Army? I don't seem to have come across it. What makes you the expert on why my son helps the homeless on the streets? The reason my son gives is that having been helped, he wanted to help others in turn as a kind of payback. This has nothing whatsoever to do with belief in an afterlife.

1. WolfFan Silver badge

What's the name of this atheist equivalent of The Salvation Army?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9decins_Sans_Fronti%C3%A8res

"https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%A9decins_Sans_Fronti%C3%A8res"
                  I'll watch out for them in the pub on Friday night then...

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

You must live in a rough neighbourhood.

"You must live in a rough neighbourhood."
                      Not particularly. The Sallies fund-raise in Australia's pubs regardless of locale. I never heard of them being attacked; rather the reverse. Pretty much everyone gives them their loose change knowing it's for a very good cause. I'd rather punch out the secular fund-raisers who phone incessantly that you know are only doing it to make a quid for themselves. At least with the Sallies you know your hard-earned is going where it's needed: to poor relief.

7. Muscleguy

Whereas my wife's SSRI's helped her depression. I could tell she was better when she could no longer stand the side effects and took the decision to go cold turkey and could not be dissuaded. Not the actions of a depressive.

My anecdote trumps your anecdote and that is the problem with anecdotes, it is top trumps ALL the way down. Remember the plural of anecdote is not data. Data is a proper study takes only particular and not too many salient points from each anecdote in forms which make those from different arms of the study directly comparable. Put too many features of the anecdotes into your data and the confounders in your stats multiply so fast your significance evaporates. IOW garbage in, garbage out.

I have designed experimental protocols and analysed a ton of results in very different forms. I'm published in Nature doing one sort of analysis nobody had ever even attempted before.

I also know that there is good data that Cognitive Behavioural Therapy outperforms SSRI anti-depressants in both efficacy and value for money in mild to moderate depression. Do you know absolutely for sure your priest knows nothing about CBT? or does not use methods incorporated into CBT? IOW you likely got the gold standard, best in class depression therapy there is, which works on a completely secular level too. If I were a priest seeking to help folk I would seek to do a course or buy a book on CBT. I would bet odds that seminaries around the Western world are teaching CBT even if not by name.

1. Orv Silver badge

Religion, if anything, kept me depressed longer. I felt like drugs and therapy were cheating and that if I wasn't getting better it was because life on this sinful earth was supposed to be miserable. Sez so in the scriptures! Maybe it was just my cross to bear, right?

YMMV. I had identity issues that my religion strongly objected to me investigating, which didn't help.

8. cream wobbly

"it was probably the one thing that stopped the person taking their own life"

You know, whenever I look for something, I always find it in the last place I looked.

Religion just happened to be the last thing you turned to before you extracted yourself from your suicidal phase, so it feels like it was the only thing that helped, despite it being just the first thing that helped. I hope you find the will to pursue a sounder path out of depression, because mere religion is almost guaranteed to let you down.

Back to the topic: the religious seem to think that secularity is theirs for "potential conversion". It seldom is. It's very seldom welcomed. And if someone wants religion, as you did, they'll go find it. A Christian Linux is a terrible idea. Let's say you'd been told by Clippy that "It looks like you're writing a suicide note... you should go talk to a priest" -- I've a sneaking suspicion we wouldn't be having this conversation today.

2. cray74

Why do "believers" need computers ? Doesn't their Deity already provide them with a direct link to all that they need to know ?

In some cases the two are not mutually exclusive, at least in the mind of the believer. TempleOS is an interesting story, both as a retro computing exercise and of the person behind it.

(Terry Davis)'s done this work because God told him to. ​According to the TempleOS charter, it is "God's official temple. Just like Solomon's temple, this is a community focal point where offerings are made and God's oracle is consulted." God also told Davis that 640x480, 16-color graphics "is a covenant like circumcision," making it easier for children to make drawings for God.

The article goes into some depth about how Davis developed schizophrenia in adulthood, thought oil companies and men in black were following him, and eventually decided God was talking to him. God wants an operating system for direct consultations with his believers, and also likes beamers and the Beatles.

3. Pen-y-gors

From my point of understanding : If a Deity truly existed there would be no need for religion..

An interesting thought. If one argues that all religions are based on the need for absolute belief in one's deity or deities, then if said deity actually exists, belief - and thus religion - would not be needed. When you bump into your deity in Tesco or it appears in a pillar of flame when you're about to exceed the speed limit, then no belief is required. You have absolute knowledge. Religion based on belief is then as pointless as a religion based on mud or carpets. It's there.

(I do like a good bit of theological disputation - El Reg again demonstrates that it is the Numero Uno of commentardism)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> if said deity actually exists, belief - and thus religion - would not be needed

Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys, but that didn't stop Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as the theme of his best-selling book, Well That About Wraps It Up For God.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Have they exorcised the systemd?

6. Tweetiepooh

As a Christian I condemn this action entirely. If the disto is good enough then it will be used and doesn't need this sort of approach. Many of the applications used are easily added to other operating systems. This action is more harmful both to the distro, the organisation and the wider Christian community than it helps.

1. Richard Jones 1

Sorry @Tweetiepooh

I am truly sorry, I clicked the wrong box. I thought that your post was balanced in a way that some others are not, My click went in the wrong place. I can blame some nerve damage but clearly need to improve my mouse control, which is not normally this bad - others might not agree but all discussion should be honest and where possible balanced.

1. Alister

Re: Sorry @Tweetiepooh

@ Richard Jones 1.

If you click on upvote it should cancel out your erroneous downvote.

1. Richard Jones 1

Thank you, @Alister, when I tried that the first time it did not work.

Clearly, I need mouse driving lessons!

Still it worked when I tried a second time after your prompt, thank you.

1. Solarflare
            Trollface

"Clearly, I need mouse driving lessons!"

Have you considered a Mouse4Christians course?

1. Chemical Bob

He needs to tutored by a Mouseketeer!

7. heyrick Silver badge
    WTF?

Sorry...

This coming right on top of what happened in Vegas, my "holy WTF?" quotient is already maxed out.

Try again next week.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are you sure?

"Ubuntu's wiki page was temporarily taken over by religious group Computers4Christians this morning"

Or an anonymous troll who was trying to put the project into a bad spotlight.

This kind of project is something I prefer to steer clear from because I can't help spot a bit of fanaticism. Doesn't have to be that, but that's my impression. But the thing is: if you look at their website you'll notice that they do seem to respect copyright and everything else. All their work has proper mention of credits, links to other works, licenses are made clear.

Although they definitely look a bit fanatic to me I don't think they'd stoop this low. Seems a bit out of place and character to me.

1. sabroni Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Are you sure?

I blame the muslims!!!

1. Mark 85

Re: Are you sure?

"I blame the muslims!!!"

You're Donald Trump and I claim my 5 pounds (or dollars or shekels).

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

LTS ... would that be as in "for ever and ever, world without end, Amen"?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>> LTS ... would that be as in "for ever and ever, world without end, Amen"?

No, because Christians have been trying to tell people their pretties / toys will fade for quite a while now. They're just fading a bit faster these days [640K of RAM is enough for everyone, right?]

10. 45RPM Silver badge

Of special interest to the clergy will be the hidden search engine for pictures of choirboys. There’s a real surplice of images there.

Oh, I’m soo damned for that joke.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't make a habit of it

1. sqlrob

Quit with the jokes already. Puns make me cross.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Nailed it with that one.

2. Chemical Bob
        Megaphone

Re: Don't make a habit of it

Hey! We'll have nun of that kind of talk around here!

2. Bernard M. Orwell

"Kiddle"

Is that app particularly popular with the Catholic priesthood?

11. sisk

Speaking as a Christian, I condemn this action. Vandalism is fundamentally incompatible with the teachings of Christ. So are the hate and intolerance that so many non-Christians think are central to the faith because of a very loud vocal minority. This is just one more instance of some idiot who seems to have missed the important parts of Christ's teachings making us all look bad.

1. nijam Silver badge

> This is just one more instance...

...to add to the millions already making you look bad?

2. hplasm
      Devil

"Vandalism is fundamentally incompatible with the teachings of Christ."

Romanes eunt domus!

3. Tigra 07
      Thumb Down

RE: Sisk

Are you sure? Raping, pillaging and slavery are all in the Bible and allowed by god.

1. Tigra 07
        Thumb Down

Re: RE: Sisk

Ooh, downvoted by defensive christians...Here's a novel idea - if you find it hurtful then actually read your Bible. It's the quickest way to become an atheist.

Heck, the Bible even tells you how to trick people into becoming your slaves forever...

"Here's a novel idea - if you find it hurtful then actually read your Bible. It's the quickest way to become an atheist."
          Given that the first explicit writing in favour of atheism was French Catholic priest Jean Meslier's Thoughts and Feelings of Jean Meslier ... Clear and Evident Demonstrations of the Vanity and Falsity of All the Religions of the World written in the early 18th C, maybe it's the slowest rather than the quickest.

2. sisk

Ooh, downvoted by defensive christians.

Has it ever occurred to you that you got downvoted for being a jerk?

I've personally no problem with people who disagree with my religion. I've even debated the subject in a civilized manner with multiple people and have always walked away from such discussions with no hard feelings and a mutually improved understanding of the other person's point of view. But what you did above amounts to nothing more than an unprovoked textual jab at someone simply for having a different worldview than you do. It was stupid and petty.

You don't share my religion. That's fine. You're entitled to your own beliefs and worldview and I'm not going to cram mine down your throat. I don't think it's so much to ask the same courtesy from you.

1. Tigra 07

Bit of an over reaction there isn't it? I didn't say anything that could be construed as cramming non-religion down your throat. I merely pointed out how ridiculous and bigoted some of the book is that you hold dear and you got defensive.

We should always be free to criticise ideas and maybe, just maybe, if you find it offensive then that says more about the religion than the person pointing at the bad stuff in it.

"I merely pointed out how ridiculous and bigoted some of the book is that you hold dear and you got defensive."
              Bullshit! You wrote: "Here's a novel idea - if you find it hurtful then actually read your Bible." That was offensive and pretty obviously intentional.

3. Toni the terrible Bronze badge
          Angel

The trouble is that the old testament is being referenced. Christains should stick to the New.

12. David Nash Silver badge

"While many open-source advocates might appear to be on a mission from God already, these ones

literally are"

Literally? From God? so you know He/she/it exists?

1. GrumpenKraut
      Linux

> ...so you know He/she/it exists?

Yes, it exists =----------->

13. Sebastian Brosig

Gee, that takes me back to 1999, when some joker came up with http://pudge.net/jesux/, suggesting we get rid of abominations such as "chmod 666", demons, and sendmail ("written by a prominent homosexual")

14. Tigra 07
    Pint

Good luck finding your porn if you use Bible.cc as a search engine...

Also Kiddle sounds more like an app made by a paedophile...

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Good luck finding your porn if you use Bible.cc as a search engine...

Oh, I don't know about that. There's some nice stuff in the Bible. Sex, some of it including incest and even bestiality, and assorted fetishes with hair, chains, whips, clothes with lots of colours... something for everyone, actually.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No place within these walls......

Ned : "I've really enjoyed my time here Superintendent. May the Lord bless and keep...."

Chalmers : "Yeah, take it outside, god boy".

16. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
    Devil

Bring back (OK, update) Ubuntu Satanic!

Still waiting in vain for updated themes and icon sets...

http://ubuntusatanic.org/

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Any science apps on there?

On the Origin of Species is out of copyright too, did they include the the ebook?

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Back thee away from me, systemd!

19. vincent himpe

nothing to pay

except your immortal soul . for eternity. mbwuhahahaaaaa.

20. Eddy Ito

Church closed, source of attack unknown

They suffered a Denial of Deity Services.

21. Arthur the cat Silver badge

penguin carrying a crucifix

As Steve Bell fans know, this is why they carry crucifixes.

1. RogerB

Re: penguin carrying a crucifix

When I looked it seemed that the penguin was carrying a cross, NOT a crucifix.

Yes, I am pedantic.

Re: penguin carrying a crucifix

"When I looked it seemed that the penguin was carrying a cross, NOT a crucifix."
        I imagine that's because penguins have difficulty holding the hammer to knock the nails in...

22. popey

It was a simple mistake

The wiki home page is the target when you login, so often people think they're on their own page, and go to edit it, not realising they're editing the main landing page on the wiki.

We frequently have to revert edits on the home page, to undo these little beginner mistakes.

Would have been more fun if Ubuntu Satanic Edition made the mistake.

(not an invitation).

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you shut it down, after three days does it spontaneously start up again?

24. Alistair

I hit the comments on this thread - there were 66 comments.

C'mon ElReg Commetariat, we can do this ... only 599 more to go...

25. W. Anderson

An Open Source "Operating System" has no direct technological connection to any religion.

C4C maybe in breach of FSF License policy by calling their OS "Christian OS", when in fact it is correctly Lubuntu (Ubuntu based) configured for "Christians" terms and uses.

Even then, if Arian Nation, Skin heads and White Supremists use this OS as "Christians", how does this speak to the image of Christian Religion.

I am confident that if Muslim "Jihadists" terrorists configured Ubuntu for their perspective and teachings of Islam with an "Jihadist OS", then Christians and US/UK governments would be all over Canonical (owners of Ubuntu) about denouncing use of Ubuntu under such terms.

1. Chemical Bob

Re: An Open Source "Operating System" has no direct technological connection to any religion.

There is actually a Muslim edition of Ubuntu:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabily

26. John 98

TRACK RECORDS

Quite true that religion has had its worser moments, but so has atheism if one looks at Stalin, Pol Pot etc. And since different religions disagree, teaching and inspiring different things, you can't blame one for the fault of t'other. And people may say they don't believe anything, but they still have a working assumption. ... Often that God doesn't exist, but then he might ...

1. Trilkhai

Re: TRACK RECORDS

That's the thing that frustrates me as an agnostic when I see comments taking the stance of "bad things having happened means that any possible 'good' doesn't count." Pretty much everything capable of making a positive impact on humanity will also have been associated with or used to cause harm—and a lot of the time, the people saying "bad nullifies any good" would protest angrily if somebody made parallel statements about their favorite part of computer technology, like computer games or the Internet.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In code we trust

Is the term "religious nutters" a tautology?

28. thomn8r

kiddle - sounds like an app for Catholic priests.

29. Pompous Git Silver badge

@ WolfFan

Despite your claim that Médecins Sans Frontières provide the same services as The Salvation Army, it appears this is false. The only other organisations providing poor relief where I live are Anglicaire, St Vinnies and Hobart City Mission all of which appear to be Christian Organisations.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: @ WolfFan

Doesn't the "Red Cross" count, they are neither political not religious ?

Re: @ WolfFan

"Doesn't the "Red Cross" count, they are neither political not religious ?"
        They would if they provided the same services as The Salvation Army, but they don't. Sallies provide cheap and free accommodation for the homeless, drug and alcohol counselling for addicts, court and prison services... The Red Cross collect blood and provide transport for the elderly to get to non-urgent medical treatment. Important too, but not the same services. As stated earlier, the Sallies collect donations in the pubs on Friday nights and have an annual door-knock. The Sallies are volunteers for the main part. The Red Cross employ telemarketers and I have grown to loathe telemarketers. Not that I have trouble with telemarketers since installing Call Guardian.

FWIW we do support Médecins Sans Frontières even though they provide no services in our country and never have. We also support the Menzies Research Foundation and other sectarian charities. But my original question was "What's the name of this atheist equivalent of The Salvation Army?" There isn't one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like