back to article Royal Bank of Scotland customers say digital services gone TITSUP

Royal Bank of Scotland customers have been reporting an inability to log into digital banking services this morning. Down Detector shows that more than 100 users have complained of issues logging into their accounts through mobile devices and web browsers. Some have also contacted the bank on Twitter. @RBS_Help RBS digital …

1. Alister

Hi Duncan,

We just need to re-employ some of the staff we laid off in May and August, and we should have everything working again.

Thanks,

@RBS_Help

1. TitterYeNot

"Hi Duncan,

We just need to re-employ some of the staff we laid off in May and August, and we should have everything working again."

To quote Obelix, 'Menhir a true word is spoken in jest'...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone here work on GDS back in the 90s and beyond? Now that was a system.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It's still alive and kicking. They will never really get rid of it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Wow - that’s quite amazing. It’ll outlive us all.

3. Lysenko

Coincidentally....

... (or not), there happens to be a power outage in SE1 at the moment which is the postcode area for Sampson House.

1. FireBurn

Re: Coincidentally....

Except the data centres running their banking platform are based outside Edinburgh

1. Spanners Silver badge
        FAIL

I have a suspicion that they may not all be in Scotland either.

2. Lysenko

Sampson House used to handle a lot of routing. At one time (I'm out of date) spiking it would have forced at least seven DCs to re-route ... though I have no idea if that involved retail traffic.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I always thought it was a scene from Red Dwarf, what went on in there could have been a rehearsal.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Except the data centres running their banking platform are based outside Edinburgh"

Yes, it's in Macmerry

4. smudge
    Pint

Critical resource sub-optimality

Our support staff enthusiastically celebrated Scotland's win last night, and hasn't turned up today.

Normal service will be resumed once he sobers up and remembers the password.

1. EddieD

Re: Critical resource sub-optimality

Sobers up?

In Scotland?

That'll mean sometime next week. If you're lucky.

1. DuchessofDukeStreet

Given the (in)frequency of the event being celebrated, I'd be surprised if it was this side of Hogmanay.

2. smudge
        Pint

That'll mean sometime next week. If you're lucky.

If we're lucky, we will beat Slovenia on Sunday. And then it won't be anytime next week.

Slainte!

5. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Apple is getting on on the act...

https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/06/apple-system-status-services-down/

But it seems that 'her indoors' can get access to her RBS Mobile banking system ok.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's only ever "A small number" of customers.

1. VinceH

If(total_number_of_customers >= number_of_customers_affected) claim = "only a small number of customers were affected";

2. katrinab Silver badge

Because only a small number of customers log in on any given day, especially when it isn't pay-day time of month.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More CAUSTIC problems ? Or the 15 year old middleware propping up the (ha-ha) real time banking ?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RBS still have any customers left after their previous problems?

I’m surprised that RBS still have any customers left after all of their previous technical problems? Some people really must be gluttons for punishment...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Here's my anecdote

I had an RBS account that I needed to close. I went into the branch. The process was that they wrote "Please close my bank account" on a piece of paper and asked me to sign it. No computer involved. Next week: had to do the exact same thing again (it worked the second time).

Seriously, Apple are going to destroy consumer banks in a couple of months some day. Though everyone will say "they just copied the idea and added rounded corners - RBS did banking for a hundred years".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon