back to article Russia, America dig into tug-of-war over Bitcoin laundering suspect

Russia doesn't want America taking one of its nationals accused of running a $4bn Bitcoin laundering ring – Moscow wants him more. The Russian foreign ministry said in a statement on Friday that a Greek court's decision to extradite Alexander Vinnik to the US is "unjust and a violation of international law". The 38-year-old …

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    Coat

Life in prison in the US or a safe trip to Moscow followed by an accidental slip in the shower a week or so later to keep him quiet?

Which will he choose?

1. IHateWearingATie

Life in prison in the US or a safe trip to Moscow followed by .... sneaky work laundering ill gotten gains for security officials more like!

1. Mark 65

You can infer the likely outcomes from the statement that he is willing to return to Russia.

2. Stevie

Bah!

We should just solve this by using the gordian! operator.

Cut him in half down the middle and let each side have some.

What?

1. Mark 85

Re: Bah!

Do it at the waist.. one can have the head and other can have the ass. I'll leave it an exercise for the reader which country gets another ass.

3. Jason Hindle

I bet he’s FSB

Why else would the Russians be so desperate to get him back?

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: I bet he’s FSB

"Why else would the Russians be so desperate to get him back?"

For the $4b?

4. Lysenko

It's obvious which he'll be going for...

On the one hand, up to 55 years in the Federal Gulag

On the other, conviction under either Article 159 (Swindling) or 160 (Embezzlement) of the Russian criminal code ... maximum sentence, 2 years (plus fines and asset recovery). Worst case scenario, they try him under Articles 272-274 (Computer Misuse offences) in which case he could get a maximum of 5 years.

He's also permanently immune from extradition once he's back in Russia because Russia doesn't do that, ever (the Constitution prohibits it).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't help wondering how much the Greek court was paid to give that decision.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Very astute observation

It's Greece, the cradle of corr..., sorry civilization after all.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why don't they have a naked mud wrestling match between Trump and Putin to decide who gets him?

1. Chris G

"Why don't they have a naked mud wrestling match between Trump and Putin to decide who gets him?"

Now that is something I would pay NOT to see, even the thought needs brain bleach.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That is one fight USA cannot win

The Orange baboon has only one chance to win it - to invoke NATO article 5 and force Boiko into the mud pool. That is something I would love to sell tickets for:

Prime MInister, Black Belt, Chairman of Bulgarian Karate federation, ex-dictator bodyguard.

vs

President, Black Belt Dzudo

Place your bets ladies and gentlemen, place your bets (my bet will be on Boiko. Putin may be a killer all right, but he has a lot to learn as far as fighting REALLY dirty).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: That is one fight USA cannot win

Cue Frankie goes to Hollywood.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: That is one fight USA cannot win

"Cue Frankie goes to Hollywood."

I hadn't even thought of that but it must be the strange workings of the subconscious at play. It's going to be awkward next time I go to my parents.

7. Nick Z

It's hard to know who is right and who is wrong, when you don't know the evidence.

But given the recent anti-Russian hysteria in USA by US politicians and mainstream media, it's hard to imagine that this guy will get a fair trial there.

This would be like sending a Jewish person to Nazi Germany for trial in 1930s. Because there is some ethnic hate going on there. This isn't just some political disagreement, the way it was during the Cold War.

The word 'Russian' describes nationality and ethnicity. And if you read US media, then they definitely have something against Russians there.

8. JJKing
    Paris Hilton

Russia's Mad Monk number (damn, I've lost count of them all)

So rasPutin wants to add to his bitcoin collection. I guess for a despot even his supposed $80Billion of theft from the Russian people isn't enough.

At the protest in Moscow on the weekend one brave soul had a cartoon of rasPutin sitting on a mountain of cash with a crown on his head. The wording was, Happy birthday you little thief. I wish you a continued life you brave man!

Even Paris sheds a tear for the plight of the poor Russian people.

9. adam payne

Jail in the US or go back to his pay masters, such a hard decision.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like