back to article Ex-Intel boss Paul Otellini dead at age 66

Former Intel CEO Paul Otellini died on Monday aged 66, the chip maker confirmed this morning. Otellini, who sat in the chief exec chair from 2005 until his retirement in 2013, died peacefully in his sleep, we're told. "We are deeply saddened by Paul’s passing,” CEO Brian Krzanich said. “He was the relentless voice of the …

1. ToddRundgrensUtopia

Read my lips there is no 64bit Xeon

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

peacefully in his sleep – at age 66?

WTF? I'm sorry when anyone dies and feel for his wife and kids, but ho lee kow man. I'm not far from 66 myself; if I go at 66 I want to go out in a blaze, not peacefully in my sleep.

That's just way to young for "natural causes." There must be something else. Congestive heart failure? Stroke? Brain tumor? ???

1. Mark 85

Re: peacefully in his sleep – at age 66?

Aren't those "natural causes" or at least my doctor thinks so. I'm 68 and two of the three you mentioned. But yes, he was way to young but aren't we all for the most part? I had an aunt dying at 99 and see was very active to the very end and she felt she was too young also as did the rest of the family.

I do feel for his family and friends.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Statistics.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ah, yes the old "peacefully in his sleep" euphemism basically means he died while having sex. Good on him - its the way I want to go...

4. ecofeco Silver badge

Most likely overwork.

These people are often Type A workaholics who have no respect for anyone not killing themselves for the job.

They literally kill themselves from decades of overwork.

3. Darryn

Condolences to the Otellini family. May you rest in peace Paul.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

66 seems to be today's "end of warrantee" age

Tom Petty died yesterday, also at 66. RIP and you died to young to each of them.

5. TReko

Getting out of Mobile was his biggest blunder

Intel's Xscale ARM CPU was widely used in Blackberry, Palm Treo, Sony Clie, most Compaq Poquet PC's and the original Amazon Kindle. Otellini's decision to sell it to Marvell and focus on the more profitable x86 series is probably one of the biggest blunders in Intel's history.

He made the wrong decision to get out of phone CPUs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Getting out of Mobile was his biggest blunder

I think the massive profits would say otherwise

6. ecofeco Silver badge

WHAT?!

"He was the relentless voice of the customer in a sea of engineers, and he taught us that we only win when we put the customer first."

You sir, are a goddamn liar.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But wait, there's more

"Under Otellini's watch, Intel grew its annual revenues from $34bn to $53bn and became the dominant force in the PC arena and in the server markets, largely at the expense of rival AMD and data center incumbents. ... and helped Chipzilla get through a nasty legal battle with AMD over allegations of unfair competition."

How about allegations of restraint of trade by effectively bribing PC makers to not use AMD x86 processors through use of rebates? Need we be reminded that this type of behavior ultimately costs the customers both increased chip costs and decreased performance advances relative to a healthy competitive environment.

How about allegations of threats against motherboard makers to not promote AMD based motherboards?

How about Intel's part in the alleged illegal no-employee-poaching cartel?

There appears to be a cornucopia of allegations of Intel bad behavior available for free on the Internet. One needs to do only the most modest of searches to find Otellini's contributions to fairness.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like