back to article Oracle CEO Mark Hurd reads 'mean tweets' about his 2025 vision

Oracle co-CEO Mark Hurd appears incapable of shrugging off criticism of his predictions for the state of cloud computing in the year 2025. During Monday's Oracle OpenWorld keynote, he decided to hit back at his critics with something a little more adversarial than expected. In a moment reminiscent of celebrities reading less- …

1. shawnfromnh

Screw the cloud, what about ddos killing your business or some idiots on backhoes cutting the fiber lines. This cloud crap has gotten out of hand and when your employees are all sitting around because you can't access the cloud, what then. Business really has to think before committing to stuff like this. Heck my doctors place of business had their records on an offsite server that went down, just about brought them to a standstill.

1. Lysenko

I'm no Cloud advocate, but losing your systems because of cabling damage is not specifically a "cloud" issue. Large organizations (Banks, TfL, Argos et. al.) who run their own DCs have always been in this position since bit barns are typically remotely sited, not squirreled away in office basements.

Your Doctors clinic would be most secure (in this sense) with paper records and failing that, everything on a laptop (because laptops have inbuilt UPS). If they had an on prem server then they would still be vulnerable to a backhoe hitting the power instead of the fiber and would likely take longer to recover from a server failure since they probably don't have on site technicians and hot spares which the remote facility probably does.

If you're worried about all your employees idling because their computer systems won't work then by all means host all servers locally, after you've installed full building UPS and auxiliary generators, hired or trained an IT DR team, purchased relevant hot spares and installed a couple of microwave relays to keep your external connectivity operational if the fiber is down.

That describes my house by the way. In the last three years the UPS has cut in four times and the router switched to 4G cellular backup (two different networks) seven times. The remote stuff I've moved around, but in over a year I've detected no Linode or AWS downtime. If the cloud component goes down, it won't be critical since everything is mirrored from the local NAS, but that is only relevant because the (demonstrably more fragile) local services are secured failure conditions.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't think the DDOS argument really stands up on one of the big three cloud providers, they have built-in mechanisms to deal with that kind of attack, probably more than you're actually aware of. Also if your employees are losing access to the cloud you should probably look at having multiple VPN tunnels...Sorry, but in 2017 I'm tired of reading old school sys admin comments that are anti-cloud, for which their are plenty of on the register.

The cloud is as good as your architect makes it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

DOS goes both ways. Your cloud service may be accessible, but if your ISP is DDOSed you won't be able to get to it. I suspect that most SMEs choose their ISP on price, not on reputation for bullet-proof competence.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Not true. There are ways to access cloud providers without ever touching an ISP.

2. Lysenko

So...

These predictions included that 80 per cent of IT spending would be on cloud services, that the number of corporate-owned data centres would drop by 80 per cent and that there would be two SaaS providers by 2025.

His prediction is that the future belongs to Amazon (AWS) and Microsoft (Azure) with Oracle doomed to "also ran" status along with other bit part players like IBM? Interesting. Personally I think the likes of Alibaba will still be significant (at least regionally), but mostly I would have to agree with Hurds prediction of progressive Oracle marginalization. I'm surprised Leisure Suit Larry lets him voice this publicly though.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: So...

I'm surprised Leisure Suit Larry lets him voice this publicly though.

LLL has probably already plotted his own exit from Oriface. Y'know, retiring to that Pacific volcano island where he can mature his evil plans in peace.

After all, it's not like he needs to work any more.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"In a bid to demonstrate how little he cared about the criticism, Hurd spent the next few minutes pulling up various pieces of research that supported his worldview, which he was at pains to add was “not from the Mark Hurd research department”."

Demonstrating how little you care... you're doing it wrong.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Im surprised that with the growing instability in the world, storing data outside the region of business location is not flagged as a very serious risk. Like a business in Europe having their data stored in the US or Asia. Even within Europe geographical instabilities are growing.

1. Robert Grant

Agree - Cisco and T-Systems are doing a JV cloud solution in Europe at top level EU certification for this very reason.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bothered?

Does anyone really care what Oracle are doing in the cloud?

They are so far down the cloud pecking order I'd probably have a greater cloud footprint running a couple of NAS boxes from home!

1. Hans 1

Re: bothered?

They are so far down the cloud pecking order I'd probably have a greater cloud footprint running a couple of NAS boxes from home!

Funny, I think you forgot the joke icon ... did they not very recently get a big gov contract in the UK ? Need more than a couple NAS boxes for that deal alone ... again, I do not think cloud is a good move ... too much down-time ...

2. Shameless Oracle Flack

Re: bothered?

Nope. Oracle is #1 SaaS provider for large companies, and our SaaS is growing faster annually (70+%) than AWS's IaaS (40%). Combined IaaS/PaaS/SaaS revenues should pass $10 billion in roughly 5-6 quarters. The huge SaaS consumption by enterprises bodes ill for the DIY infrastructure crowd. Hurd is right, deal with it

6. Jay 2

If Oracle are all about the cloud, maybe they can do something about the appaling state of their ULN repos for Oracle Linux. They're slower than a glacier and it takes minutes just to get a yum repolist all to complete (takes seconds on a similar RHN setup), so it's completely unusable. And the most insane bit? That's the stuff you pay for! The free repos on some other CDN are fine...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It isn't what Mark Hurd, it's what Mark sed that's GNUs-worthy...

8. Down not across

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen

Hey Mark,

You're in quite visible and public position. You say things, people will respond or comment. Newflash, we humans have a habit of not always agreeing with each other. If you can't stomach it when people disagree with you then you're in the wrong job and at the very least should perhaps stop opening your mouth in public.

Just out of sheer kindness I will not say what I think about you or your comments.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like