back to article Pumpkin bumpkins battle, 800kg monstrosity wins

Things are getting real for outdoor pumpkin growers ahead of a European championship that starts in less than a week: a German team yesterday won the national heats with a near-800kg orange beast. A team from Bavaria beat 59 other growers from across the country to carve out the top prize at the Ludwigsburg Pumpkin festival on …

1. Aladdin Sane
    Trollface

Pumpkin bumpkin

I though this was going to be another Trump article.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pumpkin bumpkin

It was about a "near-800kg orange beast", not about the "near-150kg orange beast". Very different beasts! Sad.

1. TRT Silver badge

I'm sure if it were a Trumpkin, it would be illuminated by the "warmest candle-ances".

1. Aladdin Sane

And used to make Trumpkin spice covfefe.

2. Montreal Sean

If it were a trumpkin, it would be the yuuuuugest pumpkin ever.

It would make America great again!

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"I though this was going to be another Trump article."

Well the rest of us were thinking of Americans for sure...

1. ukgnome

If you listen to Richard Herring's AIOTM then you would know what a Trumpkin is.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did you know if you divide the circumference by the diameter of one you get Pumpkin Pi?

Waka! Waka!

3. Charles 9

And here I thought they were gonna actually launch these from catapults to see how far they could fly...

Forget the punkin. Let's see some chunkin!

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

Re: Forget the punkin. Let's see some chunkin!

indeed. For our British cousins who might not know...

This event, held by the World Championship Punkin Chunkin Association, WAS a more or less annual thing until an accident at the 2016 event and subsequent lawsuit prompted cancellation of this year's event. Depending upon the outcome of the lawsuit, the event may or may not return. The videos of these events are interesting (and occasionally amusing, when highlighting the often colorful characters involved).

1. Charles 9

Re: Forget the punkin. Let's see some chunkin!

I will admit, after reading the details, that was a bit gruesome, and after giving it some thought, this is the kind of event that really can't escape Murphy's Law. I mean, Scrapheap Challenge and its US counterpart Junkyard Wars had seen many a catapult built (with a noted fondness for counterweight trebuchets), and even the MythBusters have done a few, but it's also easy to see how any of them could go wrong as well (some did go wrong, even). It's a difficult line to draw; where does it move from the builder's fault for not making it safe enough to being the spectator's fault for standing too close to the blasted thing?

4. Tom 7

Its not all pie

you can make a rather nice pumpkin wine. I say rather nice - it surprised the hell out of me when I tasted it. 14% desert wine!

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Its not all pie

Been there, done that, had the alcohol poisoning.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Its not all pie

14% desert wine!

Rather dry, I'd guess?

5. Pascal

That's an impressive pie!

> "The winning vegetable actually weighed in at 792.5kg, or enough to make 100 pumpkin pies serving around 800 people. Despite this bulk, it still came up well short of last year's 900kg record."

We're talking about 8 Kg of pumpkin per pie!

1. drand
      Pint

Re: That's an impressive pie!

Not surprised if it was a Bavarian pumpkin. They don't mess around with portion sizes over there. Though you might not fancy any dessert once you've eaten a pork knuckle the size of your head.

Beer icon because German stereotype!

6. AceRimmer1980

Be sure to apply the pumpkin patch.

</desparate IT angle>

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gourd on you!

What a "great pumpkin" article!

8. Gary Bickford

Fun, but inedible ...

We tried growing some pumpkins from some Giant Pumpkin seeds. We didn't work hard at it, no special treatment other than removing most of the excess fruits early on. We got a good sized pumpkin - 50 lbs. or so. But IMHO it was as close to inedible as pumpkin can get. So I wouldn't recommend using for pie without an excessive amount of spices and sugar!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Fun, but inedible ...

The dirty little secret is that most "pumpkin" pies sold commercially are actually squash pies.

Still, pumpkins do make better missiles, being more spherical and brightly coloured.

1. Charles 9

Re: Fun, but inedible ...

Given a pumpkin IS a squash, what's the difference?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Please please no more trump jokes. Some of us are still living this nightmare

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So, why don't you just wake up? ;-/

10. Pedigree-Pete
    Pint

Germany....

Now that article just reinforces my desire to visit Germany for a holiday (vacation). Always had a great time visiting briefly for work. Apparently, they say Germans have no sense of humour. I beg to differ even tho' Ich spreche kein deutsch. PP

>As per drand Icon stereotype.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon