back to article UK third worst in Europe for fibre-to-the-premises – report

The UK has been ranked the third-worst country in Europe for fibre-to-the-premises (FTTP) coverage, according to a comprehensive study of speeds from 28 countries across the continent. At the end of June 2016 FTTP coverage in Blighty was 1.8 per cent, the study by IHS Markit found. Greece and Belgium reported the lowest …

1. ukgnome

Openreach - I often wonder what they actually do.

For the last three years my exchange has been in scope for fibre, we actually thought they made progress as the equipment is now in the exchange. The only problem is we don't have a cabinet. All 500 homes and businesses connect directly to the exchange.

I now need to change my supplier, but with no company having LLU I am stuck. All I want is fast and reliable, something that Openreach clearly isn't.

1. David Aston

We were in the same position - all direct Exchange lines. BT/Openreach got round this by building a green cabinet outside the exchange and FTTCing from that. Get about 34mbs downstream so not brilliant but certainly not bad!

1. WonkoTheSane
        Facepalm

This was the solution for my line too. (Part of the "Superfast Cymru" initiative).

Apparently, the regulations actually prohibit installing fibre equipment inside the exchange!

1. AndrueC Silver badge
          Boffin

Apparently, the regulations actually prohibit installing fibre equipment inside the exchange!

Sorta. What they actually forbid is the installation of equipment that can't be electrically masked appropriately. VDSL falls into that category (ANFP document). There's nothing stopping fibre equipment being installed because it doesn't give out any electrical interference worthy of consideration and certainly not to copper lines. But the VDSL modems that are inside the street cabinet are not allowed in the exchange.

These are Ofcom rules. BT has a hand in developing them of course but it's basically an industry consortium that agree on what equipment can be attached to BT's network rather than BT itself saying it won't do it.

2. AndrueC Silver badge
      Meh

Yeah EO lines can be a pain to deal with. Sometimes the topography means that there's just nowhere that enough of them meet together to make a cabinet viable. Or maybe there is but it's a long way from the actual properties (often the case in rural areas) making the resulting service worse than ADSL(*).

Unfortunately in some cases the only options for EO lines are FTTP or rerouting cables. Both of these are very expensive and since the problem often only afflicts a relatively few lines is not economical. You can cover far more properties with your money by moving on to another town.

(*)Strange to say but ADSL performs better than VDSL on very long lines.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>Openreach - I often wonder what they actually do.

Take your money and give you excuses.

BT is the problem and not the solution.

1. Not also known as SC
        Coat

Although I'd like to agree with you as a matter of principal - BT as an organisation is complete pants - the dealings I've had with OpenReach and their engineers have always been really good, especially when my home had a damaged telephone line between the exchange and the property. They came out quickly, did the repair efficiently and I've had no problems since.

So I'll agree that BT and everything about them is a problem but with the caveat that there are (or were) at least two excellent engineers working for them.

2. Semtex451
    Facepalm

Help

I missed the link to the Study. If its UK 1.8% what was the highest?

My brain doesn't do well without the benefit of some context.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

You didn't miss it

It's just not there.

Such a shame.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: You didn't miss it

It's just not there....Such a shame.

Or, using that new-fangled Googlything, you could have found it yourselves with fewer keystrokes than you needed to post your indignation here:

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/news/study-broadband-coverage-europe-2016

Note that despite the "2016" titles, this is the IHS Markit study being referred to.

1. Semtex451

Re: You didn't miss it

Why didn't I think of that, we should research and write the story ourselves. Genius.

That new-fangled Googlything of yours is.. is..amazeballs, I have discovered.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

@Ledswinger

This article is not a forum post made by a clueless Netizen, it is written by a professional and posted in a professional business online publication.

Therefor, as per Internet Protocol since the dawn of professional publication arose, you source your articles with links so as to provide fact-checking to your readers.

As such, I maintain that it is a shame that this was overlooked here, especially since it is not the usual practice in these hallowed pages. Oh well, mistakes can be made.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: @Pascal

Therefor, as per Internet Protocol since the dawn of professional publication arose, you source your articles with links so as to provide fact-checking to your readers.

Feel free to be outraged when they don't spoon-feed you, and fee equally free to be insulted by my total and utter lack of sympathy for your tragic predicament. Some important points you might want to consider:

a) It's hardly a peer review academic journal, it's deliberately a red-top snarkfest.

b) We don''t pay a brass farthing for it (and the many of us deploying ad-blockers don't even pay with our eyeballs).

c) Since this is a tech site, anybody unable or unwilling to drive a search engine shouldn't be here.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Re: @Pascal

You really don't get it, Ledswinger. It's not about being spoon-fed, it's about checking that the source justifies what the article mentions.

If I google it on my own, I can very well find an article on the subject, but I have no guarantee that it is the same article the author is referencing.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Help

I missed the link to the Study. If its UK 1.8% what was the highest?

Well, the study has some relevance, but for customers the question is not what technology is deployed, but how well it works. If you look at the widely availble reports on average internet connection speeds, you end up (even with latest data) with a map not too dissimilar to this. That's from 2015 and latest available data pushes up all of the figures shown by about 15% or so across all countries, but that map gives a nice graphical view that is still accurate in comparative ranking terms.

The facts are inconvenient for many, but actually, the UK and Openreach (for all our carping) are doing comparatively well when you look at the data from the comparable EU economies. So perhaps optimising copper isn't such a bad thing after all. If the money turns up for either G.fast, or universal FTTP, that'll be grand, if it doesn't then you lot might be glad that they're doing what they are.

Makes no difference to me of course, suckiing data down my 200 Mbps VM pipe. Did you know that when you download data at that speed, it makes a woooshing noise? Of course, silly me, you won't know that on VDSL. Bwahahahahahahahaaha!

1. Ben1892

"The facts are inconvenient for many, but actually, the UK and Openreach (for all our carping) are doing comparatively well when you look at the data from the comparable EU economies"

Burn the heretic ! You can't say that, you're meant to hand-wring and self-flagellate when comparing the UK to any other country, regarding anything.

If the stats accidentally make us look reasonably OK then go and find a metric that skews it.

2. Ken Hagan Gold badge

"a map not too dissimilar to this."

Excellent, ta!

"Makes no difference to me of course, suckiing data down my 200 Mbps VM pipe."

And that is another fair point, since FTTP isn't the only way to get connected and it would be a shame to burn boat-loads of government cash bringing technology to everyone only to find that it is the previous decade's technology and all the money was wasted.

3. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

It would have been nice to have a link to the report, or even to tell us what the top were getting so we could see how badly we are performing (if we are), or even a table to illustrate that better.

That would be far more useful than happens with other articles where Twitter or Facebook 'grabs' are included to repeat what's just been quoted as having been said - which adds absolutely nothing to an article.

Given the lack of information; I am not convinced FTTP is a useful metric or even if we are performing as badly as the figures and our ranking makes it look

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I am not convinced FTTP is a useful metric or even if we are performing as badly as the figures and our ranking makes it look

Indeed. For one thing, different countries have a different idea of "premises". Some places, France for example, have a very high level of apartment living, and one "premises" can mean a 50-apartment building. Obviously that's easier to cable than 50 separate houses which is more typical of the UK.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

>I am not convinced FTTP is a useful metric

It's not!

However, it is about the only metric in the report that castes the UK situation in a bad light!

Looking around on the web, it would seem that some such as uSwitch, ISPreview & El reg have chosen to run with this spin on the EU report because it supports a bash BT/Openreach agenda.

The report, notes that the UK is still deploying FTTC, but fails to connect this with the fact that that is what the BDUK project was largely intended to deliver and that project will continue for a few more years yet. Hence why the main Openreach effort is in deploying FTTC and not FTTP...

4. Roland6 Silver badge

Links:

IHS Markit press release:

https://technology.ihs.com/595739/growth-in-european-high-speed-broadband-availability-and-4g-lte-coverage-progress-confirmed-by-ihs-markit-and-european-commission-study

EU Report:

https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/news/study-broadband-coverage-europe-2016

Whilst I've not read the report yet, although it isn't a peer reviewed scientific paper, as it is an official EU report, I would hope its data gathering and conclusions are reasonably rigorous.

3. wolfetone Silver badge
    Trollface

Well one of the good things about Brexit is that the UK can start to beat other european countries at their own game. I'm sure Nigel Farage and Boris Johnson will proudly display the message "We have better fibre internet than Greece AND Belgium!" on the side of a bus soon.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

The UK needs fast fibre to copy over the corporate data centre over to the new premises in France.

London’s tech elite discuss Brexit Britain with French PM

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I don't think any of those will be missed.

2. Roland6 Silver badge

>The UK needs fast fibre to copy over the corporate data centre over to the new premises in France.

Don't need to involve Openreach - I'm sure Eurotunnel will happily provide duct space...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Already beating Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Poland in terms of average speeds. Will it be OK to post that on the side of a bus?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My flat has been at the "typically it'll be available to your premises within the next five months" state for what feels like the last 2 years according to https://www.homeandbusiness.openreach.co.uk/fibre-broadband/when-can-i-get-fibre - need to start keeping a history of when the status changes!

5. gskr
    Unhappy

For the last 5 years the local exchange has been fibre, enabled but the cabinet has not.

For about the last 2 years the openreach checker has been saying "Your area is currently in our plans to be upgraded with Fibre to the Premises (FTTP), however we follow a different design and build process for FTTP so you won't see updates at each stage. When you are able to place orders you will see the Accepting Orders message. In some instances our FTTP plans change. If this happens you will move though the journey stages normally."

Very helpful BT, no time estimate, no means of obtaining a time estimate, just a choice of ADSL2+ or nothing here in the centre of Manchester, with a vague promise of something at some indeterminate point in the future, that might never happen.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Meh

Sounds like contractor delays. BT can't do everything and two of the most common causes of delays are the local power network provider and the local council. There are several stories of new cabinets being erected then left empty for six months waiting for power. For FTTP they are very much more at the whim of councils and contractors.

Being in the middle of Manchester makes it even worse. BT do have some code powers to cut through red tape but they still can't just charge into the centre of the second (third?) largest city in the UK and start digging up roads and laying cables. These things have to be planned, approved then contractors scheduled. It's a shame openreach can't give you a better schedule but they probably just don't know.

As is so often the case in the UK - too many cooks in the kitchen and most of them are rubbish at cooking anyway.

2. Sartori

I hadn't checked for ages on availability for mine but you prompted me to. Mercifully, I have Virgin fibre for my broadband as BT's offering has always been dire where I live. So, let's see what is on offer today shall we:

Estimated speeds

1Mb-3.5Mb

512k Lowest assured download speed

Oh, and I also get the 5 months blah blah for fibre message too. I'm a little South of you, on the Wirral, if anything changes in the next 5 months I'll be suitably astonished.

6. defiler

Central Manchester

One of our clients had super-shonky ADSL. I think the duct is flooded or something, because it's bad all the time, but really takes a crap in foul weather. FTTC, we though - that'll get us past some (lots) of the ducting intact. Exchange is live. Cabinet scheduled for <5 months. Then they pulled the plug on the upgrade so they can push out FTTP.

What? So we can't get FTTC in there this year and FTTP later? We ditched Openreach and got an all-fibre line in via Pulsant. Sorted.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Central Manchester

What? So we can't get FTTC in there this year and FTTP later? We ditched Openreach and got an all-fibre line in via Pulsant. Sorted.

From looking at their website Pulsant don't appear to own any backhaul cable (not many leased line sellers do) although those are all copper based services. My assumption would therefore be that you are using openreach cable that Pulsant are paying to rent. That's how most leased lines operate simply because openreach has so much cable in the ground. It's rarely worth anyone's bother overlaying what BT already have in place in the local loop and for a leased line BT are generally quite happy to blow new fibre.

They may even be using openreach for the core network although there at least there is a lot more competition to choose from, especially somewhere like Manchester.

The thing is that what a lot of consumers don't see is that once you get past the hell of ordering from openreach the actual product - the data transportation - is bloody reliable and covers just about everywhere. It's not even that expensive if you are dealing with them direct. Unfortunately dealing with them direct can also be incredibly frustrating. I've done it a few times now and every time I swear I'm never going to do it again and will choose someone else. But then you discover that means dealing with several other companies just to get your data from A to B and suddenly the attraction of the one-stop-shop of openreach doesn't seem quite so bad. Just keep a bottle of Valium to hand.

1. defiler

@AndrueC

The fibre run is Virgin, not Openreach. And you're right in what you're saying - when Openreach work they're (generally) great. But when they don't it turns into a game of pass-the-parcel with the problem.

I've had a DSL line problem bounced between ourselves and three other agencies for about 2 months before I walked onto the site with snips and a punch tool and reterminated it. Worked great after that. And I have had a number of episodes like that...

In the case of this Manchester site, though, I reckon there's water in the cables, and that would be a mammoth nettle to grasp. The client are delighted with their fibre line. And Pulsant were an easy choice because that same client have had SDSL and EFM from them for years beforehand with exactly zero issues.

(I don't work for Pulsant, and I accept that they've had their issues over the years, but their business comms have been pretty robust.)

1. AndrueC Silver badge

The fibre run is Virgin, not Openreach. And you're right in what you're saying - when Openreach work they're (generally) great. But when they don't it turns into a game of pass-the-parcel with the problem.

Ah! Yes, of course, I'd forgotten they were involved in leased lines and of course will be present in Manchester centre.

And you're absolutely right about the hell of dealing with openreach. I once nearly got two fibres blown to the same location. I was saved by a miracle. A lady at openreach who spotted the duplicate request called me to query it instead of just extending the order and charging us double. She was probably new and hadn't finished indoctrination yet :)

Of course that all started because OR lost the original order. Although their response to our 'what's the delay?' tried to imply that it had never been placed. We offered to send a copy of the order confirmation but they weren't interested in it.

7. txt3rob

if they just invested like the koreans we would be able to provide businesses better internet speeds.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Korea is rolling out g.fast to improve coverage cost effectively.

The headline speed figure doesn't tell you that coverage outside of cities is very poor. Easy to have a high average speed if you don't cover rural areas.

8. johnfbw

OpenReach - not fit for purpose

Every time I check my area for fibre they insist I can't get it, even though the box 2m from my house is FTTC enabled AND I already have FTTP. They often try arguing with me that I don't have a fibre cable coming in to the building.

Usually the argument is when then cut off my copper cable (because they insist I pay for one) and then wonder why I don't notice for weeks/months

9. Tigra 07
    WTF?

Judging from the steam...

Is the woman in your photo drinking Liquid Nitrogen or McDonalds Coffee?

1. Semtex451

Re: Judging from the steam...

Could someone dream up some ropey reasons how that pic is at all relevant to the article?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>Could someone dream up some ropey reasons how that pic is at all relevant to the article?

It's all The Reg could afford from the bargain basement stock photography catalogue.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It's all The Reg could afford from the bargain basement stock photography catalogue.

In this age of very competent smartphone cameras, it's a miracle that anybody still pisses around with the stock photography horse-traders. Ms Hall or any of the Reg editorial crew have undoubtedly walked past suitable imagery every single day on their way too and from work, and you'd have thought they could just take a suitable pic themselves.

The cost savings probably would be nil, but at least the images might be new and relevant.

1. Tigra 07

I'd have been happy with a photo of a cable, regardless of the colour, location or size...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

She's drinking tea, but would prefer coffee. Java is a type of coffee and Javascript is often confused with Java. Javascript is the best way of consuming your internet bandwidth, so therefore you need a faster connection to send your entire browsing history to the advertising agency.

Therefore Tea needs Faster Internet.

Simple.

1. Semtex451

Tea held by a Non IP infringing 101 Dalmatians reference, biting satire on Frau Merkel with the EU28 spotty dogs?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So the Atlantic Provinces (500,000 sq km, population 2.3 million) in Canada have Fiber to the Premise available to ~70-90% of homes by a privately owned Telco. I think with a little government money.

I, absolutely, don't believe that this is not economically viable in England (130,000 sq km, population 66.5 million). The only reason everyone in England does not have FTTP is graft and other corruption, imho.

1. A K Stiles
      Boffin

Not that I disagree with the general sentiment, but the population of England (130,000 km^2) is 55.3 million, not 66.5 million which is closer to the population of the entire UK (242,500 km^2).

It's still woeful performance by governments, councils and communications providers though. It astounds me that they are still building new houses and either connecting them with copper, or even not connecting them at all in this day and age.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@ A K Stiles

Thanks. I did a quick google search and that was the number presented :)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

The only reason everyone in England does not have FTTP is graft and other corruption, imho.

Actually it isn't. The fundamental driver is that the old copper last mile network is owned by BT, who took over the (really, really rubbish) state telecoms provider AND its underfunded pension liabilities. Because the pension scheme provided final salary, index linked pensions, BT have to earn sufficient to keep the Ponzi pension scheme (designed and agreed when a state owned entity) afloat, and that suck continuous amounts of cash out of the business. They recently closed off the generous pension scheme, but the liabilities have a bad habit of continuing to rise, as RPI outstrips CPI, and as old buzzards refuse to die for longer.

What should have happened is that the tossers of government should always have accrued for pension liabilities, instead of assuming that somebody else can pay for them - but that wasn't what happened, and the result is that BT took on those promises of jam tomorrow.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Pensions do need to be paid for. I've never understood how either Government or private businesses were allowed to underfund their pension responsibilities or raid pensions for cash, like it's their own money.

Still, BT must have known what they were getting into or they are completely incompetent.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I think the requirement to wholesale hurts investment. The Canadian telco gets a much better return on investment because every customer it connects buys Internet from them. In the UK, Opebreach build and Sky and talk talk make the money.

11. wyatt

Looks like I'm in a similar situation, BT exchange enabled for FTTC but not cabinets rolled out. I've VM which is something but over subscribed, but, very few sites can deliver 100Mb worth of data to saturate the circuit so I'm onto a winner. Fortunately most of my usage is in working hours when everyone is at work..

12. Ikoth

We moved house last October, to an area where all six cabinets on the local exchange have FTTC. Apart from the one serving the new house. Openreach's "When can I get fibre" page said the cab was to get FTTP "within six months". I thought that acceptable and so we moved.

Over the succeeding months, my daily checks saw the wait time come down to four, then three months. In May, we even had BT contractors in the road pulling the fibre into the ducts. Then, in July the availability checker jumped back up to "December 2017".

In frustration I contacted the local MP who promised to take the issue up with BT. Several weeks later he replied, forwarding BT's response which was just a regurgitation of the information I had included in my complaint, and a closing paragraph which amounted to "screw you, we'll finish the job when we're ready".

It comes to something when the local MP can't even get a meaningful response out of these b4$t4rd5.

Having also suffered extensively at BT / OpenReach's hands when I used to manage a 15 site, MPLS network, I am no longer able to articulate how much I loathe and despise them and their de facto infrastructure monopoly. I sincerely hope they're first against the wall, come the glorious day.

13. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Well i get about 7Mb , and thats fine for me, mostly because I havent got a teenager watching 1080p on a 3" phone screen 24/7

14. JaitcH
    FAIL

Why is Openreach like a Duck?

Because it is tight, like a duck's a*se which is watertight.

The size of a fibre cable is SMALLER than a 2-pair telephone cable and can be fished through conduits even PLOUGHED IN under gardens. There is the option of using an air powered 'torpedo' which avoids disturbing the gardens. The ONLY RESTRICTION is that bends cannot be as tight as a 2-pair cable.

Terminating subscriber fibre drops is a breeze and putting the modem on a sub's premises is more reliable, secure and Openreach gets free power.

1. Terry Barnes

Re: Why is Openreach like a Duck?

You're forgetting the other restriction which is that there has to be power near the termination to run the NTE - most phone master sockets in the UK are in hallways or by front doors, where there's no nearby power socket.

Once you start installing mains spurs or trying to run fibre unobtrusively and safely inside the home the costs soon start racking up I'd imagine.

how does Openreach get free power? Glass is a reasonably poor conductor. What would they be powering?

15. Andus McCoatover
    Windows

New law to supplement Godwin's Law

Crofts' Law:

"As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a person blaming Brexit for something totally unconnected approaches 1"

1. This post has been deleted by its author

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

City of culture

Come and join us in the city of culture 2017.

KC (possibly finally going to be defined as a monopoly at last - 15 years too late) are installing FTTP. It's taking a while but where available, 250Mbps down, 30 Mbps up.

They've got a lot of things wrong in the past (KC TV anyone?) and still make it impossible to have a choice but they appear to have at least got this right.

1. Baldrickk

Re: City of culture

From everything I have heard, they do a pretty good internet service there, for a good price.

Is a monopoly in an area that bad if they are still investing and keeping up / exceeding the performance in the rest of the country?

17. wallaby

From the Window in my office I can see the openreach cab on the corner, yet I still cant get FTTC. The building managers have said they are happy to provide access should it be requested, but openreach tell me time and again it cant be done - Complete waste of space.,

18. technoise

The Old Green Copper Ropewalk

If Openreach can keep upgrading the ADSL services so that the copper loop lines can be kept in place as long as possible, then they keep in reserve the inevitable upgrade to fibre as a massive amount of future revenue.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Old Green Copper Ropewalk

Future revenue?

The lack of new revenues from rolling out FTTP is one of the major commercial problems. Most people will simply buy the cheapest thing available and very few will pay more. When there's a full rollout of FTTP I expect the revenue won't change at all - people will only take it if it costs the same as the copper service they already get.

19. Funkymunky

Works for me...

Were were direct connected to the exchange (less than 100ft away) and had an average 18.5mb down, 0.5 up for years. Then, for a few months, Openretch vans were seen parked around a hole close to the exchange...voila...FTTC arrived. Upgraded my account (an extra £10 a month) and now get 74.5mb down, 18.8mb up here in rural Scotland. Son overjoyed and continues with his quest to reach 1tb use per month (we currently use around 850gb - slacker!).

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like