back to article Database biz MongoDB files to go public, hopes to raise a cool $100m

Oracle-chaser MongoDB has filed to go public, with its accounts revealing it made a net loss of almost $90m in the year ended January 31, 2017. The company, which started life as 10Gen in 2007, has secured a total of $303.4m in equity funding to date, and is hoping to raise $100m in its initial public offering. MongoDB's SEC …

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

VC pressing the eject button

Annual losses of $ 90 million and an IPO of $ 100 million? That's desperation.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Recently heard from an AWS rep and they said they have no interest in MongoDB, if you want it then fire up some of our VMs and run it off your bat, we're not interested.

3. spacecadet66

It's been a rough week, so thanks for the laugh, MongoDB!

4. Jonathan 27

I'm just waiting for MongoDB to go tits up and get snapped up by Oracle, Microsoft or Amazon. They don't seem to have much of a business model. It's a shame though, the product is really good. I guess they could go the other way and transition to a community-driven open source project, but I don't hold out much hope of that.

5. Chemical Bob

But Mongo DB is Web Scale!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2F-DItXtZs

6. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

They need to change their name...

MongoDB is a horrible name with awful connotations. Why the hell are they still using it? Until hey change it, they can piss right off, the insensitive bastards.

7. crediblywitless

Mostly, I'd like a new name (what were they thinking?), a 'create database' operation (confidence-building), and some sort of explanation of the security model.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like