back to article First big Privacy Shield review has ended – and yep, it's great! Just don't ask about mass spying

The much-heralded first review of the EU‑US Privacy Shield Framework that governs the flow of personal information across the Atlantic has concluded – and would you believe it? Representatives of the EU and US think it's doing fine. The two-day review is an annual requirement written into the new framework after the previous …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's great.

Governments that spy on their own people agree with other governments that spy on their own people that it's ok to spy on everyone as long as you share that information.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

First big Privacy Shield review has ended

@<other>AC Quote: "...as long as you share that information"

Well.....not quite. "...as long as you keep all that information secret and only share that information with other civil servants, spooks, spies, police personnel, NHS personnel, etc etc etc...."

.....but not with the citizens who are paying for the spying.....

.....and might want to check whether the secret files held on them are accurate.....

Oh no, no, no...that would stop the civil servants, spooks, spies, etc from "keeping us safe".....

Quite apart from the problem that every recent outrage has been committed by individuals "already known to the security services".....that has NOTHING to do with it!!!

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
    Flame

Everything is going fine

They will continue to publish reports saying so for a few years, then they will reference those same reports to say that all is well and always has been.

And that is how you write History.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Roll on the real review when a case hits the ECJ.

I take it the results of this one were printed on bog paper.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

If it were the ECJ reviewing Privacy Shield every year it would have been a different story.

For a start it's got a name which makes it sound like it's a fake antivirus product. That's.suspicious in itself.

4. DropBear
    Trollface

In ten years, on the silver screen...

"Look, kid - what was it, Matt? ...Max? Yeah okay Max, you caught us with our pants down and did a great job pointing that out, so yeah, good for you, kid. But see, now we'll just sit down and proceed shitting and that will be that - we're done humouring you. The gears need to keep turning, and compared to them, you're not the wrench - you're less than a speck of dust. You're a smart kid... I'm sure you get my drift. So what happens now is you turn around, walk out that door and we'll never see you again. One way or another. Have a nice life!"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I wonder if this is related https://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2017/09/22/microsoft_and_facebooks_transatlantic_cable_completed/

6. Whitter

Max Schrems

Any news on whether Max Schrems feels up to bashing this one down too?

1. EnviableOne

Re: Max Schrems

IIRC the chrems case is still ongoing, and may result in the referal of the Privacy shield to EUCJ, thats if the Art29WP dont kill it first.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Devil

Brought to you by....

EQUIFREEX.

"Data Done Dotard™"

8. Woodnag

The agreement will be toothless...

...unless it mandates that someone around the top of the food chain goes to jail if data flows inappropriately.

9. Pseu Donyme

I'm having mixed feelings as to whether I would like to try some of what those responsible for the EU side of this 'deal' have been smoking.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Didn't the Germans have an unexpectedly intrusive monitoring program too?

While the EU does not have much consumer-level web-stuff going on, the EU mandates the right to be forgotten, while the Americans will be saving the info about us for as long as they like.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon