back to article Ah, good ol' Windows update cycles... Wait, before anything else, check your hardware

Windows 10 means a major shift in how IT operations should perceive and manage Windows and their hardware estate. The most significant is the move away from Big Bang version launches in favour of a subscription model with much more frequent updates. This has an interesting knock-on effect on hardware requirements. Many …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TRT Silver badge

"platform of built-in solutions to optimize your Windows 10 investment"

I hate them already.

1. beep54
      Flame

Re: "platform of built-in solutions to optimize your Windows 10 investment"

Uh, pardon my French, but Windows update is seriously fucking with my computer. It is renaming many of my folders and simply erasing a goodly number of my files. Enough, already....

1. ilmari

Re: "platform of built-in solutions to optimize your Windows 10 investment"

On mine it "upgrades" the synaptics touchpad drivers to a version which turns the touchpad on and off rapidly. The blinking notification onscreen (at around 20 on/off cycles per second) is annoying enough, it also makes it harder to click things so I can roll back to the working version.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"More positively, when done right, Windows 10 should mean fewer headaches for the IT department."

There's an oxymoron in there somewhere.

Not a whisper about telemetry and national legal data protection compliance.

1. Lee D Silver badge

Because nobody has ever proved that Windows 10 transmits anything more than already transmitted by all the previous modern versions of Windows.

Literally, it was a Reddit article that got over-hyped, and turned out to be the same Windows "Customer Improvement Program" as has been in there since about Vista. And turn-off-able using group policy if you're paranoid.

Data protection compliance is therefore no different to how it's been for the last 10-15 years, or have you only just read the EULA?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Updraft102

Microsoft has told us about the breadth of data sent even in the "basic" telemetry mode, the most minimal setting that non-enterprise customers can select. The enterprise customers can also set "security" as their telemetry level, which still sends data home.

I've read their descriptions about what it sends in each mode. It's not hype or paranoia to think that Windows 10 is collecting the data that Microsoft has come right out and told us they're collecting. Even the "too good for home and Pro" security mode is too much telemetry. I don't want them sending anything without my approval... not even data regarding "infections" with what they claim to be "malware."

Windows 10 will do all of this when CEIP is off; meanwhile, for all the years CEIP has been in use in the pre-10 era, no reports have emerged about spying going on with CEIP off. It's only been very recently that earlier versions of Windows got the "Diagnostics Tracking Service" that has been built into 10 from the start (and has now been renamed to something in corporatespeak instead of English).

With previous versions, I don't have to wonder why Cortana is sending data to bing.com every time I do a local search. Why would Win 10 do that? What is it sending? No way to tell; the packets are encrypted and resist analysis. We know they exist, and we know Cortana does no such thing in 8.1 or 7, since there is no Cortana in 8.1 or 7 (which is one of my favorite things about the older versions).

After deleting diagtrack and some other deletions to make sure the added telemetry is now gone, I've done Wireshark runs with 8.1, and I've seen no suspicious packets sent to MS or any server that could be operated by MS. I've seen the usual things, Windows Update checks, certificate revocation list checks, stuff like that, but nothing that makes me say, "What IS that?" It's possible that it didn't try to send anything while I was looking, but I'd wager that it's just not sending anything beyond what I want it to send.

Would the same techniques I used to remove the spying from 8.1 work on 10? Quite possibly, but 10 is a moving target. It's known to repeatedly bring back things you've already removed, and I would bet this is one of them. It's also not certain that there aren't backup methods to send the spy data if the conventional (visible) ones don't work. Windows 10 was designed from the start to be this way, unlike every other version of Windows.

Of course, Windows 10 is such a piece of crap that even if they added a "no telemetry" button that did what it says on the tin, it still wouldn't be worth taking for free. The frenetic update cycle and a lack of quality assurance team alone are reason enough to avoid 10. Win 8.1 and 7 don't get properly tested patches either, but at least they're only security patches, not biannual service-pack level upgrades that change a ton of stuff to add a ton of stuff no one asked for. Stability is what people require from an OS... let the things people run on that OS take the role of making things fun and exciting, while the OS sits in the background and makes it all work. Stop trying to be the star and realize that your job is backstage, where no one can see, and if you do your job right, no one even thinks about.

1. Adair Silver badge

Let's face it, the vast majority of people (commercial and private) only use Windows because they have no choice, think they have no choice, or they don't think at all because they just don't care.

Microsoft exploits it's 'monopoly' to extract as much financial benefit as it can, because Microsoft's business is making money. Software development is simply a means to that end. Add to that any 'arrangements' it may have to look after the needs of other 'interested' parties, and we can see what should come as no surprise to anyone: looking after the best interests of their customers/users/victims (take your pick) is only of interest to Microsoft insofar as doing so supports it's primary goal of making money, i.e. they will attempt to get away with as liitle as possible, for the least possible cost (to them).

In short: caveat emptor -- it's a very old story, but in the case of multi-national corporates you are generally treated as a host for their parasitic practices. Assume the worst, you are unlikely to be disappointed, but may very occasionally be delighted by customer care that is somewhat higher than mere irresponsible exploitation.

3. Dan 55 Silver badge

How could that be remotely true when W7 CEIP is just off/on and W10 telemetry has four levels, none of them off, and full W10 telemetry allows remote login from MS which CEIP never did.

Also the privacy policy suddenly became 45 pages long on W10's launch.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Perhaps because "off" wasn't really off.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Well, not after the W7 stealth telemetry update.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Big Brother

Microsoft Telemetry Policy Setting - NO means YES ..

@Lee D: 'Literally, it was a Reddit article that got over-hyped, and turned out to be the same Windows "Customer Improvement Program" as has been in there since about Vista. And turn-off-able using group policy if you're paranoid.'

Microsoft Telemetry Policy Setting

'This policy setting determines the amount of diagnostic and usage data reported to Microsoft. A value of 0 indicates that no telemetry data from OS components is sent to Microsoft. Setting a value of 0 is applicable to enterprise and server devices only. Setting a value of 0 for other devices is equivalent to choosing a value of 1.'

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Security out of the box is essentially what Windows 10 is all about'

I laughed out loud when I read that!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 'Security out of the box is essentially what Windows 10 is all about'

"I laughed out loud when I read that!"

Read it again. You buy Windows 10 in a box. The security is outside it, i.e. not included. You need equal weasels to understand marketing.

4. Semtex451
    Coffee/keyboard

Sponsored

Times must be tough at Vulture Central

2. Updraft102

Re: Sponsored

That's one way to bypass adblockers. Think it worked, Intel and Microsoft? Do we seem convinced now?

3. Paul Crawford Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: Sponsored

No, this is much better than the usual web adverts because we all get a chance to bitch about it.

4. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Semtex451

Hate to 'actually' you, but ACTUALLY: Our revenue this year is neatly following 2016's record high. As in, 2016 smashed El Reg's all-time ad sales records. The unsung heroes here are our sterling ad sales team, and us news scribes are in their debt.

So yes, we sometimes run vendor-sponsored articles - clearly labelled sponsored or promos - and they make us a decent amount of money. Take 'em as you like: they are written by freelance journos we vet for quality. And the pieces are super interesting. Don't skip over them just because they are biz-sponsored. It's all part of the El Reg mix.

However, a vast chunk of our cash comes from display ads against our top news articles - which are produced well away from any vendor interference.

We strive to provide highly technical and accurate IT news and features independently and ethically.

Ultimately, this all funds the snark, sarcasm, the exclusives, the analyses, the features of The Reg that you love and we'll continue to serve.

1. Semtex451

Yea ok whatevs. So guess which story is top of the list of "The Week's top Headlines" mailout? Yes this one.

I'm old enough to remember a time when El Reg wasn't trying to be the Daily Mail of IT news pages. When it didn't treat the readership as cash cows

1. Semtex451
          Pirate

You did after all make my point for me.

2. Martin Summers Silver badge

"I'm old enough to remember a time when El Reg wasn't trying to be the Daily Mail of IT news pages. When it didn't treat the readership as cash cows"

There are direct parallels with the milk farming industry and online publications. Milk from smaller farms used to be delivered in bottles to your door by a guy you used to know the name of. Supermarkets took that away by selling milk to a wider audience. We the humble readership are the cows being milked for a lesser yield than was available many years ago. More sites for those eyeballs mean this is how it is. There would be mutiny if this site compromised its integrity and whilst the Reg has come close to the boundaries they've never crossed them. As has been raised before by commentards including me (but never gone any further) they could introduce a subscription for no ads or even a paywall. Look how that's turned out for some well known publications. We have to accept that this is how they survive and recognise that it is in The Registers' own interest to make sure it keeps us on side with this arrangement.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oooooo

C'mon guys, take Intel's advice and go with the forthcoming Windows 10 version, you know.

Windows on ARM !

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oooooo

C'mon guys, take Intel's advice and go with the forthcoming Windows 10 version, you know.

Windows on ARM !

Windows on Power64 would be more amusing.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Windows 10 is here to stay'

* Thankfully so is Linux and there are alternative platforms too (this isn't the early 00's or something)!

* Dear Hardware-Makers, you are suffering falling sales because of Win10. When will you wake up!!! Do any of you have a tongue, or are you all Microsoft's bitches in this life? Facebook like slurp is not an attractive proposition, worse so in a business context!!! Please don't say buy Enterprise Licenses either. There's a reason Google had to drop Gmail slurp, its costing them Cloud business!!!

* Sure I may have to buy Win10 gear for game dev work someday, as the UE4-Unity / Windows branch is better supported than Linux right now (no flat-pack etc). But I'll delay that decision for as long as possible (no hardware purchases), and I'm never going to connect Win-10 boxes to the internet ever, never mind using them for surfing etc!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 'Windows 10 is here to stay'

"I'm never going to connect Win-10 boxes to the internet ever, never mind using them for surfing etc!"

No doubt part of their business plan is to have W10 phone home every few days - or stop working.

Our office's security updating package did that if you hadn't been connected to the company intranet for a few days.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

'W10 phone home every few days or stop working'

No doubt. But my money is on the Chinese / Russians cracking it, so that it doesn't phone home ever. After all they've had black market industries in this type of thing for over a decade. They're all at least as talented if not more than the developers at Microsoft too. Look at all the deep-hacks / zero-days / Zeus banking Trojans!

2. Updraft102

I don't think it is here to stay.

I think this is a cynical exit strategy Microsoft is using to get out of the OS business. Their heads are up... in the clouds, and the Windows division is no longer the moneymaker it once was. Revenue drops a lot more rapidly than development costs as the number of buyers declines, and MS appears to have no faith at all in the PC platform's survival, even though there are a lot of roles to which it is suited and mobiles are not. As such, it's not hard to imagine that MS may have forecast Windows to be a net money loser at some point in the future.

It looks like Microsoft's goal is to soak the Windows community for all they're worth, squeezing all the revenue they can out of them by any means possible, abusing the customers mercilessly while claiming it's for their own benefit, and eventually destroying Windows as a brand and as a product. At that point, MS will have extracted all possible value from their former Windows empire, which they will then toss aside like a banana peel.

I don't think any of the powers that be at Microsoft are stupid enough to believe that the strategy MS is employing now has any chance of ensuring long-term health of the Windows market. The abuses are too brazen, the policies too unfriendly, the patches too shoddy. I don't think MS wants to be in the OS business anymore, and this is their way to turn it into short-term revenue while killing it off long-term, so they can be wholly a cloud services company.

1. teknopaul

Its an interesting theory.

In order to be a fully cloud company the are going to need a cloud that stays up.

A few hundred million pcs beta testing patches for them might be useful for a while.

Google which is arguably, fully cloud, recognises the need for a browser on which to develop and run apps.

Why would anyone deploy on Microsoft cloud if you have to have a chrome/linux pc to do the dev on and to run the apps.

Without Windows they don't have an edge.

Occams razor, windows 10 is shitty cos Microsoft dont have a clear strategy after recent spectacular fails in mobile.

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

Using the "cloud", doesn't matter the provider, removes you from your data, puts your data at risk of being hijacked or harvested and installs the possibility of a paywall when you really need to recover your data. Large companies and those with offices in different cities can back up their data to servers in their own offices where it can be kept secure and if a restore is needed, it can be physically accessed and transported by courier to anywhere in the world much faster than most internet connections can transfer in a day. Let's not forget the local and off-site backups that will be the goto data banks for all but a natural disaster.

I find is laughable when I see statements that the "modern workforce is highly mobile" when companies such as Yahoo are discontinuing their remote workers and forcing them back into an office where they can be watched more closely. I suspect that what They are referring to are companies that are wheedling their employees into spending their evenings and weekends working from home as well as the time they spend in the office.

Years ago I started keeping my Windows machines from accessing the internet. I use Mac and Linux for connected activities and the PC with my engineering and Dev software is air-gapped. So far, so good. Besides picking up a nasty, I don't want a forced "upgrade" to break an application or hardware driver. It would really suck to find that my plotter won't work just when I need to print and deliver prints to a client… on a Friday night when all of the shops are closed, just before I need to get on a plane to make a presentation the next day.

2. Schultz

I believe Windows is here to stay, but that doesn't hold me back from exploring less painful alternatives. Turns out that most of my families' computing needs are nicely met with some form of Debian Linux. Not even my kids manage to mess that up beyond repair and updates occur without anyone noticing.

7. a_yank_lurker

Hardware Refresh

It sounds like no one will have any idea when a new release of Bloat 10 will make some or all your hardware obsolete. That is not going to go over well when there is a significant hardware investment to be unexpectedly trashed because Slurp and Chipzilla are run by slimes who make a Mafioso look like a saint.

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge

Re: Hardware Refresh

Well being charitable about the article: It does make a lot of sense to consider a major OS shift as part of a hardware refresh cycle, and that applies more or less to everything (Windows, Linux, Mac, etc).

Certainly for bigger organisations on the basis that you don't want the pain of a change in OS/application behaviour, testing, and fixing any more often than around 5 year intervals and by that point your hardware is due for a change anyway just to keep the failure rate down. Said new machines probably have SSD which is a genuinely useful speed-up (if you can tolerate the cost/storage ratio).

But personally I don't really want Win10 and its spying in all but the most expensive enterprise version...

1. J. Cook Silver badge
        Mushroom

Oh that's the other thing- you can't completely turn off the telemetry, EVEN ON ENTERPRISE AND SERVER.

The best you can do is set it to 'security' and hope for the best, unless you've decided to perform surgery on the install and neuter the telemetry components, will will quite likely break stuff, or packet-sniffed the telemetry packets and blocked them at the firewall.

Oh, did I mention that (on server 2016, at least) if you are deploying the OS image per standards, the telemetry resets from 'security' to 'basic' when you sysprep the box?

2. Roland6 Silver badge

It sounds like no one will have any idea when a new release of Bloat 10 will make some or all your hardware obsolete.

Agree, given the article heading, I was expecting something along the lines that Win10/Intel management would include a hardware monitoring/assessment function so that they could generate warnings that a system's hardware was reaching its end of life with respect to Win10 support.

Because the real problem with Win10 (aka "the last version of Windows") is going to be identifying hardware obsolescence, a problem that didn't exist with previous discrete versions, as people expected each new version to have differing base hardware requirements and thus it made sense to link hardware refresh to major software upgrade/refresh.

Alternatively, perhaps we'll get GWX style of advertising: you need to upgrade your system to get the full win10 experience, click here to order your new PC...

8. Blotto Silver badge

Greedy

The post is required, and must contain letters.

9. MAH

Windows 10 should mean fewer headaches for the IT department.

Except every time a patch rollup or New release comes out then its an absolutely crapshow...

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Especially as the delay toggle in the Windows Update settings panel is wired up back to front, according to commentards in another W10 story a few days ago...

10. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Intel Baked Features...

That leads me to ask how long will it be before there is some 'baked in feature' that a future W10 release demands and is not available on AMD this rendering all W10/AMD systems hobbled at boot?

Any takers?

1. J. Cook Silver badge
          Flame

Re: Intel Baked Features...

Microsoft has done that with windows 7 already- certain updates will refuse to install on windows 7 if it's running on gen 7 intel procs.

said updates are security updates, too, which really pisses us corporate types off, because now we have to tell our box shufflers to put a specific gen 6 processor in the machine, IF THEY STILL CARRY THEM.

11. RareToy

Windows 10 should mean fewer headaches for the IT department.

Until they take a feature you use exclusively. Or remove DLL's a program you use, was using.

1. J. Cook Silver badge

Microshaft's official response to that is 'buy the enterprise version of windows 10', which is far more expensive then the professional version, even if you have a SA agreement or do a crap-tonne of business with them.

And even then, I'm still not sure if the 'auto-update, auto-stage,auto-deploy' features behave once you have the system connected to an in-house server like SCCM or a WSUS cache.

12. Jim-234

Sponsored = don't bother reading

Pretty much just straight marketing drivel.

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Sponsored = don't bother reading

I saw that, dropped straight to the comments, wasn't disappointed. ☺

13. hplasm
    Thumb Down

Shill shit.

Tut Tut.

14. Cynic_999

I'm confused

The article says that 32 bit systems are less secure than 64 bit systems, and recommends throwing away all 32 bit PCs for that reason. As an embedded assembler programmer who has worked with 8 bit, 16 bit, 32 bit and 64 bit CPUs I don't understand how the security of a device is dependent upon its bus width. In fact the 8 bit CPU in my microwave oven is quite obviously more secure than the 64 bit CPU in my PC because to the best of my knowledge there has not been a single case of a virus attack on any of those devices. YMMV.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm confused

What if you haven't cooked your food properly?

1. Craig 2
        Trollface

Because the timer only goes up to 255 seconds!

2. alain williams Silver badge

I don't understand how the security of a device is dependent upon its bus width.

More room for ASLR (Address Space Layout Randomisation), which makes buffer overflow attacks harder to exploit. Windows 10 uses so much RAM that there is not much left over for ASLR if all that you have are 32 bits of virtual address space.

My guess anyway.

3. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: Microwave Oven

And the chances are that your 8-bit Oven is not connected to the internet.

I really think that Intel and MS are going to make a whole slew of new PC's not update to a future release. This will force users to buy new hardware which is what Intel wants. IT is failing miserably to get new CPU's out on time so what better ruse than to obsolete currently supported CPU's?

A new System means CPU revenue for Intel and a new Windows License for MS. Gradually, over time the percentage of 'free' upgrade to W10 systems will drop towards zero and MS will be back to where they were before W10 came along.

It is all about the money folks.

This is IMHO, their cunning plan.

4. Paul Crawford Silver badge

It has nothing to do with the bus-width, but related to features that newer CPUs have and often only work in the CPU's 64-bit mode, or were only added to the 64-bit version of the OS. As others have pointed out, some techniques such as ASLR are more effective the greater the possible virtual address space that is available (irrespective of actual usable RAM).

But even beside that, you usually get a modest speed advantage (I have seen ~30%) in 64-bit mode for numeric-heavy software just because you can do more in a single bus operation, and the 64-bit mode for the x86 series has more CPU registers that allows better code optimisation when built for it.

5. ilmari

64-bit mode removes some old backwards compatibility, and many new features are only available in 64-bit mode.

It's slowly moving towards being two entirely different CPUs, with 32-bit mode being left as it was, and 64-bit getting all the new features.

Anyone remember typing "go64" on a Commodore 128? :-)

15. LeahroyNake

Really ?

Corporate builds have lots of baggage, as you all know.

No I don't. My images include some reg hacks to set the screen saver, AV install and basic AD stuff.

No idea what you are on about as corporate images are usually much cleaner that an off the shelf / pc world install !

16. handleoclast

Bunch of management-speak garbage.

I hope El Reg got paid a lot to push this drivel at us. Because it sure as hell dented their reputation.

I suggest a CSS-style translucent overlay for this kind of article. Containing the words "Sponsored shite. Ignore" repeated several times on the page. Because otherwise it's easy to miss the fact that it's sponsored until you find your eyes glazing over and your soul departing your body.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bunch of management-speak garbage.

"Because otherwise it's easy to miss the fact that it's sponsored "

See your own title. To me it's pretty obvious. I still read it in the hope for finding some information and actually I did. To be precise, the barely hidden paragraph that reads "Keep your users on W7 if possible till the end of support and plan to migrate them to something else when that happens."

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Perhaps they might not be too keen on keeping it real and living in bedsits.

They put "Sponsored" as the first word under the headline, we get to read something amusing, hopefully it doesn't repeat as much as the DevOps sponsorship, that's how it works.

3. Donn Bly

I hope El Reg got paid a lot to push this drivel at us. Because it sure as hell dented their reputation.

I fail to see how a full-page ad, clearly marked as such, somehow dents their reputation. If they tried to sneak it in as an editorial then maybe, but it is CLEARLY labeled as sponsored content.

1. Semtex451

Except guess which story is top of the list of "The Week's top Headlines" mailout? Yes this one.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Intel and Microsoft have been working together to ease the pain

"Intel and Microsoft have been working together to ease the pain"

Haaa .. nice one .. that's a good one :)

Remember when people wrote the OS to run on the specific hardware and not arse-over-cart (copyright Micros©)

'Intel's answer is the 7th Gen Intel Core vPro processor family, which delivers a "platform of built-in solutions to optimize your Windows 10 investment".'

A current version of a Linux distro can run on a ten year old PC ..

18. billdehaan

Headaches for IT

More positively, when done right, Windows 10 should mean fewer headaches for the IT department.

Yes, it will do so by offloading those headaches from the IT department to the end users.

Generally speaking, IT headaches come when users have the freedom and ability to install software, causing conflicts.

Speaking as a software developer, I love being able to install software. Speaking as an IT person, I hate it when users install crap. The happy medium is users requesting, and IT reviewing, and then approving, software that can be supported.

Unfortunately, usually you either have one extreme or the other - total chaos, as users do whatever they want as IT watches helplessly as the network thrashes itself to death and virus infections are rampant, or total lockdown, where users are so restricted by IT that they can't get anything done, and people have to use their phones to do a Google search because the IT restrictions are so oppressive.

The author seems to think that the latter situation is desirable. I doubt all that many users will agree.

1. pwingert

Re: Headaches for IT

Our review process requires 10 business groups to test and verify against known product test suites for accuracy. Then this is repeated in 16 countries. Each review costs us about 2.7 million and takes 11 years. We are planning for Windows 10 testing to start in 2031 and be completed in 2050.

2. pwingert

Re: Headaches for IT

We are just starting Windows 8 testing now! We should be done by 2020.

19. FozzyBear
    Facepalm

So El Reg is the motto changing from

Biting the hand that IT to

Shaking the hand that hands over the cash!

The amazing thing is that someone actually thought the readers would believe any of that marketing drivel

But then Like I always say

If you can't dazzle them with the detail. Baffle them with Bullshit

20. Stevie

Bah!

Alternatively, consider this:

Your 3d print-on-demand business is ticking along nicely then an unannounced driver update scuppers your money-earning hardware.

But on the good side, the computer will still run ms excell so you can calculate how quickly you are going to go bankrupt.

1. ilmari

Re: Bah!

Now I understand why some 3D printers have SD card slot for storing the print while it's printing!

21. inmypjs Silver badge

Let me be sure I have this right...

If an article starts with :

Sponsored

It means someone paid the register to talk shit - right?

22. pwingert

Toshiba C50-A will not run creators update!

The upgrade installs with no errors. After final restart there is no networking. Microsoft 2nd level support says The specific versions of the atherosclerosis and relate key chips are not supported. So I am able to backgrade to 1613 but will receive no further feature updates. Reccomendationid to purchase a Toshiba laptop manufactured later than July 2017.

1. tiggity Silver badge

Re: Toshiba C50-A will not run creators update!

Where and when was it purchased?

If in UK, various consumer laws apply, although they are a bit lacking in clarity in the area of enforced OS downloads (lots of stuff on digital downloads though and could apply some of those) - so can get scenario where you can get refund / replacement irrespective of warranty.

23. steamnut

WINTEL still lives

With AMD's new offerings showing that there is still life in the only alternative CPU supplier then surely there is a case for yet another Anti-Trust examination of Intel and Microsoft?

If Intel are baking-in special code to support Microsoft at the exclusion of others then how is this fair on AMD?

Thankfully, the world of Linux has more transparency but, of course, Intel has lost a lot of ground to ARM so Microsoft is it's only hope.

24. Tannin

Reads like an unedited and not-very-bright press release.

Oh, my mistake.

Is an unedited and not-very-bright press release.

25. Creamy-G00dness

In my opinion

Sponsored content = intellectual prostitution.

Shame on you El Reg, I expect this sort crap from MSM not you guys.

26. Craig100

Linux Bomb

As a Linux Mint user of 8 years, I'm just waiting for the shout that now you won't be able to "convert" your latest Windoze appliance to a proper OS. Big corp really makes me sick. Either actively nasty or just plain incompetent.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Sponsored

Next time, call 'im Bloody Doogie Howser or somesuch. Cor.... "Data Done Doofus™"

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like