back to article Equifax backtracks arbitrate-don't-litigate plan for punters

Equifax has decided it will no longer try and impose arbitration on any of the millions of Americans who try to find out if they've been stung in its massive data leak. Following its 143-million-record megaleak, the company created a website meant to let worried people sign up for a credit file monitoring product – if they …

1. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

Equifax has "also bought a random number generator for PINs

etc.

1. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Re: Equifax has "also bought a random number generator for PINs

An hour has passed and it's up to '8' now.

2. Orv Silver badge

That 7 was chosen by rolling a d20. It's guaranteed to be random.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Without wanting to sound more than a little geeky, have you ever tried rolling a D20 (or a d100) and charting the results?

Physical dice do tend to have a bias towards one point thanks to moulding flaws and it becomes more obvious the closer they get to "ball shaped".

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm just glad Equifax are such a forward thinking company, I'm guessing they have already registered equifaxsecurity2018.com and so on? Wouldn't want your users getting caught out in the future by malicious actors. I also note that experiansecurity2017.com has been registered by someone, I wonder what that's going to be used for? I'm certainly not going to be checking if anythings currently on it.

1. johnfbw

someone has equifaxsecurity2018.com redirects, but not equifaxsecurity2019.com

Registered on Godaddy...

4. Nate Amsden

let users choose own pin?

How hard can that be? I froze my credit for the first time the day after the announcement. At least one of them let me use my own pin. Though I think it was limited to 4 digits.

This is the only data compromise that I'm aware of that impacts me that I am concerned about. Compromising credit cards etc doesn't matter to me. I reported a credit card breach to a hotel chain earlier in the year. A virtual credit card I gave to them and only them was compromised (in part because they never charged it so it remained open). They never replied. About a month ago got notifications from the propery management service that hotel uses(among hundreds of other properties) to a mass compromise.

One of them transunion I think I had to call them the website was giving server errors.

Wonder if credit card companies will start including credit monitoring as a more common feature. Certainly seems more beneficial than a lot of the other things offered.

1. elDog

Maybe hotel chains, restaurants, hospitals, etc. should include credit watch as a bene?

Seems that anyone that touches our credit cards, bank accounts, etc are subject to massive breaches.

So, tacked onto our hospital bill (I'm in the US) would be a $89.99/day charge to give you a free credit watch. Insurance would pay 80% up to $9.99, so no worries.

Your fine-dining night out would include an additional service charge of $9.99 in case the server/owner makes a copy of your credit-card info for personal use.

Hell, in the fine ole USofA, the tax collectors can add 1.9% to your tax bill since they also have been known to leak your privates.

2. Orv Silver badge

Re: let users choose own pin?

The problem with letting people choose their own pin is most of them will choose either their birthdate or their anniversary.

5. elDog

Posted a couple of months ago....

Re: "Toto, our data is not in Kansas anymore!"

It would be too cynical to suggest that these "credit watch" companies (for profit vultures) may have an interest in exposures?

I don't know how it works in the rest of the world but in the fine ole UsOfA the first suspected perpetrators of arson are the firefighters. Wonder why?

https://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2017/07/24/kansas_government_loses_5m_ssns/

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: Posted a couple of months ago....

"I don't know how it works in the rest of the world but in the fine ole UsOfA the first suspected perpetrators of arson are the firefighters. Wonder why?"

For the same reason that the Greater Manchester Serious Crime squad was found to be the perpetrators of most of the serious crime in Greater Manchester.

6. lansalot

Dear Equifax hackers?

Could you find out if I have PPI, and submit a claim for me automatically? Thanks!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like