back to article UK.gov launches 'co-ordination hub' for driverless car industry

The government has today unveiled a "co-ordination hub" to test driverless cars under its £100m Connected and Autonomous Vehicle (CAV) investment programme. Branded as MERIDIAN, the bases in Coventry and Stratford are intended to bring together the UK's existing CAV testing centres to create "a concentrated cluster" of testing …

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

I am reminded of this

Martin Rowson on semi-automated truck convoys in the UK – cartoon

UK.gov seem to think they can do it on the cheap and without the talent which is currently busy packing its bags.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apples and Pears

It's not fair really to compare US with UK.

US - Straight wide roads, easy intersections, mainly clear conditions

UK - Bendy, twist narrow roads, roundabouts, often lashing it down.

1. codejunky Silver badge

Re: Apples and Pears

Often designed to be the least intuitive and blocked by one way systems and bike/taxi/bus only sections only a minion of the devil himself could truly appreciate.

3. BoldMan

They can take their driverless cars and stick them where the sun don't shine*

*Please insert the shit-hole town of your choice at this point.

1. Alister

That's that place in Slice in the Ramptops, isn't it?

4. handleoclast

If Barry put his hand in a fire, would you?

I remember that sort of question from junior school days. Intended to show the stupidity of doing something just because somebody else did.

So if the lead lorry had an autonomous brain fart and drove off a bridge...

5. Commswonk

Oh dear...

The government has today unveiled a "co-ordination hub" to test driverless cars under its £100m Connected and Autonomous Vehicle (CAV) investment programme.

It might have been nice if someone had checkled that the initials "CAV" didn't already have some meaning within the automotive industry. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucas_Industries#CAV.

Too much to hope for I suppose...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like