back to article Hey, cloud big three! AI-wielding Huawei says it's coming for you

Huawei is gearing up to deliver public cloud services with an AI component, both directly and with partners in China, and provide plumbing for partners abroad. Details were presented by Guo Ping, Huawei's deputy board chairman and rotating CEO, at the Huawei Connect 2017 event in Shanghai. Guo_Ping Guo Ping Four cloud …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The world according to Huawei

{or rather the Chinese Government}

Is one where everything you do is done with a Huawei branded device and you are driven in a Huawei robot vehicle to your Huawei branded house where you eat Huawei branded food and the Huawei braned security system feeds every movement and conversation you have back to central control.

Room 101 becons. Big Brother (Bejing) is indeed watching you 24/7

Well, that is my fear. They seem to want to take on and beat every other company into the ground. The state aid they will get will make this happen unless we say No and soon.

1. foo_bar_baz
      Big Brother

Re: The world according to Huawei

So, a Chinese version of Google.

2. Chika
      Big Brother

Is one where everything you do is done with a Huawei branded device and you are driven in a Huawei robot vehicle to your Huawei branded house where you eat Huawei branded food and the Huawei braned security system feeds every movement and conversation you have back to central control.

And so what is so different? Simply substitute the word "Huawei" for "Google", "Microsoft" or "Apple" and it all makes the same amount of sense. These are all people that want your respect, your obedience, your loyalty... your money...

I wouldn't blame Huawei for trying to get in on the act that Amazon and others are trying. Trust them? Perhaps not. Blame them? Moneeeeey....

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Kind of interesting that within the past year the Chinese government has knocked out all access to external cloud providers via the great firewall plus some DNS hackery. At least they've done this to the general public - probably companies are still accessing needed cloud services to stay competitive.

And suddenly Huawei announces a cloud service that will work in China. They should be able to get a half a billion signups in short order, and compete with Google and Amazon.

Smart business practice to get your government to force hundreds of millions of customers into your fold. Western healthcare and insurance and banking corporations are old hands at this type of activity. Tech players like Microsoft, Google, and the cable and telco companies have become quite adept at the practice also. Welcome to the big boy league, Huawei.

4. martinusher Silver badge

I've just posted a comment on the oversized quadcopter article which warns against using old-fashioned Cold War attitudes when judging what China is doing. Like it or not China is now a major player in technology and sniping at a company such as Huawei just because they're Chinese and have a funny sounding name is fiddling while (competitive) Rome burns. After all, the only way US manufacturers can compete with them is by spreading FUD -- they're Chinese so invoke 007 circa 1970-something. (Same happened with Kaspersky -- their claim to fame is picking apart the web of malware that the NSA had developed; the only Russian angle was they didn't seem to be making too much of a fuss about it until Snowden blew the lid on it.)

We need to take the Chinese seriously -- not as enemies, though, but as competitors.

2. knarf

Trust

Sooo would you trust China with your data

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Trust - Sooo would you trust China with your data

Depends what data.

If you live in the UK, Blair's extradition treaty with the US says that they can render you to the US at will. They don't even have to have their evidence tested in court. Even John McCain said it was ridiculous.

The Russian and Chinese governments can't do that.

I don't have industrial or commercial secrets to hide; I'm not running anything illegal, my data are innocuous. But I still might want to store them in a country which genuinely isn't interested in me, rather than one where some malicious berk might decide I have enough money to be worth getting over there for some special treatment.

3. Arctic fox
    Happy

".....rotating CEO........."

There has to be a joke in there somewhere, I just can't get to it.

1. spold Silver badge

Re: ".....rotating CEO........."

Yes they have 3 who take it in turns as the expectation is that is requires too much for one person to handle continuously... other companies might learn.

Yes I'm sure there is an animated gif for it...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like