back to article Robocall scumbags already target Hurricane Harvey victims

With much of Houston, Texas, still under water from flooding caused by Hurricane Harvey, scammers are running robocall operations aimed at residents of the storm-ravaged area. US trade watchdog the FTC on Thursday issued an alert after receiving reports of a "flood insurance" scam targeting those in and around the American …

1. jake Silver badge

Not just folks in Texas.

Here in California, I've already received three phone calls from scammers soliciting funds for victims. How do I know they are scams? They all wanted me to use a pre-paid card to donate. One offered to transfer the money for me to save me the trouble of getting a pre-paid card, all I had to do was give them my account number.

Don't fall for scams, folks. If you want to help, initiate the call yourself, and only go through a recognized relief agency.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Mushroom

a special place in hell

A special place in hell is reserved for scammers of those who are already victims of a disaster...

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: a special place in hell

They are why the Good Lord invented lamp-posts and rope.

1. mics39
        Holmes

Re: a special place in hell

Betcha half of the robocalls originate from Florida and the rest from Texas.

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Flame

If I was in any way religious...

I would wish the full-fat Catholic Hell on these scum-bags.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: If I was in any way religious...

Yep, loosely connected to you being non-religious, one of the first interview shown of a victim last week over here, was a woman who was basically saying they spent their time waiting to be rescued praising God. My first thoughts were that this all powerful God, and I'm talking about all the 'Omni' you can shake a stick at, allowed this to happen to you. And now is quite happy to sit around while evil beings that he created in his own image, try to profit from the misery that he allowed to transpire. The hold religion has over people is truly awesome, when they can totally abandon all logic and reason in such a manner. I don't get it.

1. AbelSoul

spent their time waiting to be rescued praising God

But not praising the actual rescuers?

1. jake Silver badge

Praise rescuers? Hardly. That type usually complains because the rescue made them late for a hair/nails appointment, and how can they go to church looking like that?!?!

(Ex VFD here)

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

Actually one of the political cartoonists here did a cartoon on just that. He showed a Texan going "angels from the lord!!" getting rescued by a Coast Guard helicopter who said "no, Coast Guard... From the government"

And he caught an amazing amount of shit for it...

http://static5.businessinsider.com/image/59a70a756eac401b008b6cce-829/screen%20shot%202017-08-30%20at%2024840%20pm.png

3. Col_Panek

Big difference between true religion and superstition, where people think God is their special uncle who can be bargained with.He gave you a brain, now don't live in a flood plain.

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Go

Welcome to America!

… isn't this how things are supposed to work? Never give a sucker an even break.

Anyway the fraudsters are only just getting started. The US authorities are famous for doling out cash after disasters without doing much checking about the viability of the claims. I made a packet claiming for my fishing fleet after Deepwater Horizon and have just completed the paperwork for my fake refinery business… With the governor talking up rebuilding costs of more than $ 125 * 10^9 there's a lot to go around. Except for the chumps living in accommodation built on flood plains and who have no insurance.

Course Trump will be at the head of the queue with his offer to donate from his private fortune. We've heard that one before.

Plus ça change.

1. chivo243 Silver badge

Re: Welcome to America!

Doling out cash? FEMA? last time I checked more disaster victims were getting declined by FEMA than approved.

2. Chris Jasper

Re: Welcome to America!

Trump pledges $1 million dollars for relief funds, funny how he offered $5 million for Obama's 'real' birth certificate.......

5. Chris G

Insurance premiums

Offer to pay cash, request a face to face meeting at their office, take choice of blunt implement/weapon.

6. Neil Barnes Silver badge

A 48 hour sentence is sufficient for these types

Chained to a rock on the low tide line... head down.

7. handleoclast
    Mushroom

Fire ants and scammers

Here's how one youtuber deals with fire ants. Perhaps the technique could be adapted to scammers. I doubt the end results would be as artistic, but as performance art it would be deeply satisfying.

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Re: Fire ants and scammers

Ah, the Viserys Targaryen and Khal Drogo solution, only not so expensive.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like