back to article Uber squints, makes room for another probe: This time it's bribery

Uber's new CEO Dara Khosrowshahi better have his caffeine on a drip, because a brand-new crisis has just landed in his lap: a US investigation into whether managers have breached foreign bribery laws. The company is “cooperating with US investigators” from the Department of Justice regarding whether employees have violated the …

1. Haku

Probe related story?

We should start calling them Moon River stories, after that scene in Fletch.

2. Captain DaFt

Another day,

another Uber Scandal. Is there anything that company hasn't tried that's shady?

1. Commswonk

Re: Another day,

Is there anything that company hasn't tried that's shady?

Please let's not make it easy for them and provide a pick - list... providing we can actually think of anything, that is.

PS; I think you meant to type "has tried that isn't shady" but your intent was blindingly obvious anyway. :)

3. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Just ordered a big box of popcorn from

Uber eats

4. the Jim bloke

The question

.. is not whether,

but "how badly"

5. cdrcat
    Pirate

Either Uber isn't paying it's moles in the DoJ enough

Or Lyft has paid the DoJ more...

6. hoola Silver badge

This is what happens when a company sets all this stuff up but because it is "Techie", "App-Based" and has no real assets, the originators believe that the are completely above any laws. This is compounded by the idiotic venture capitalists that provide the money because it is a way of making a quick buck.

If someone came up with real, hard engineering ideas then it would be stifled by regulation, lack of funding and indifference.

7. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

I moan about my time at IBM quite a bit, but one thing IBM had nailed, was this compliance lark. We all had to re-certify each year, taking little courses on Business Conduct Guidelines, export regulations, etc.

Having said that, it shouldn't take a course to inform staff that bribery is wrong.

8. Hans 1

The FCPA forbids American companies from bribing foreign officials to secure or maintain a business in a foreign country.

Hm, OK, how do American Oil and Gas companies do it, then ? I cannot believe they ALWAYS get the gov tp send the Marines in, do they ?

1. WolfFan Silver badge

Hm, OK, how do American Oil and Gas companies do it, then ? I cannot believe they ALWAYS get the gov tp send the Marines in, do they ?

Why not? Doing exactly that worked so well in the Banana Wars, after all... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_Wars

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not even slightly surprising

Companies like Uber who have to operate worldwide very soon realise that in half the world, it's really is only possible to do business if you bribe: very sad, but still true. Oh, normally it goes via an "agent", but the local customs / police / monopolies can literally block you from operating very easily, and there's no recourse: they are the powers that be :-(

10. Mark 85

Khosrowshahi already had enough on his hands

No sympathy here. Isn't that what he gets the big bucks to do?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like