back to article Sweden may extend data retention, splat NAT and register VPNs

Sweden may be about to adopt increased surveillance of the internet, with new proposals about data retention and network rules leaked to local ISP Bahnhof. The proposals are contained in submissions to a parliamentary inquiry into Sweden's data retention regime, which came into force in 2010. The company says it's been passed …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Next one in line

Ignoring ECJ comes at your own peril - as Poland is about to understand the hard way.

The wheels of the machine revolve slowly, but once it gets going it does not take long to lose your voting rights.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Next one in line

The Home Office seems to have ignored the ECJ since last December's ruling against the Snoopers' Charter.

I suppose the fine will now be included as part of the payment for leaving the EU.

1. big_D Silver badge

@Dan55 the fine will be that UK businesses will not be able to do business with Europe (storing personally identifiable information) or hosting EU data, until the Snoopers' Charter is brought in line with EU law.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I hope you are all right but the realist in me sees the EU changing tact because "terrorists"

Also, how many countries currently part of the EU are snooping on their own citizens? I would say nearly all of them so they will demand that they are allowed to carry on. At the end of the day the EU is accountable to it's members whether it likes it or not.

1. big_D Silver badge

@AC - The German government has been brought to task on several occasions, both by its Constitutional Court and by the ECJ because it has tried to snoop on citizens and they had to back peddle and tone down what they wanted to something that was constitutional / legal - keeping more than 6 months of ISP data, for example or installing the "Bundestrojaner", a state written trojan for monitoring citizens' PCs. Both were brought to a swift halt.

The second run at the trojan went through, narrowly, they can manually install it on a device (physical access), when they have a valid warrant.

@Charley Clark the Poles ignored an ECJ court ruling over a piece of primeval forest, which was designated a UNESCO World Heritage area.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jul/31/poland-continue-logging-biaowieza-forest-despite-eu-court-ban

1. elip

See, too much logging involved either way! :-P

We also disobeyed when it came to the currency/Euro rules - I can still buy everything in Poland with Zloty.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

But really, there's no really way of checking how the Internet in the UK is being snooped on until the next big leak so it's academic (if there is a next big leak). Everything's buried in technical notes which have restricted circulation and are under a NDA. The wording could probably be tailored for each person to trace leaks.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

as Poland is about to understand the hard way.

Sorry, but what ECJ judgement has Poland ignored? It's currently in Commission's bad books but I didn't think the ECJ had made a decision against Poland.

2. Pen-y-gors

VPN?

a demand that ISPs log the first activation of each new anonymisation service.

What does that mean? Log the first time a new VPN company starts operating? Log what anyway? And how does it apply to e.g. a VPN in Norway, not Sweden?

3. Redstone
    Terminator

Politics as usual

..it looks like Sweden is imitating China, “where the state requires the network to be tailor-made for monitoring, not for the internet to work as well as possible”.

Yeah, but at least in the West we can vote in a whole new set of politicians who want to deploy exactly the same state monitoring as their predecessors....

Hmmmm. Not looking that good really, is it?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Politics as usual

Is is bad that I would trust the Chinese government with my data more than the UK one?

At least in China you can be pretty sure the local council won't be using snooping powers to find out who is leaving their bins out too early...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The return of the FRA law then..

Wasn't there a lot of hubbub about Sweden a while back because their spy agencies gave themselves the legal right to intercept foreign traffic?

It took a lot of protesting to get that dialed back, but the very fact that they managed to get it into law shows an intent, so this appears merely another fork of that idea.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sweden may extend data retention...

because they've run out of things they can leak.

6. Yes Me Silver badge

Naughty NAT

"Carrier Grade NAT" with address sharing (i.e. port-limited NAT) is well known to create ginormous logging requirements if you want to correlate sessions with end users. So if this passes into law in Sweden, it will basically change the economics of CGN enough that IPv6 becomes the norm in Sweden.

7. Winkypop Silver badge
    Facepalm

Alas poor Privacy!

I knew him.

OR

Tyvärr, dålig integritet! Jag kände honom.

1. ponga

Re: Alas poor Privacy!

"Sorry, bad integrity! I knew him." Google Translate has a way to go yet.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like