back to article So what's in the new Windows Insider build? Bug fixes, an AR goof-around, and a font

Windows Insiders can now drag and drop 3D models into the "real world", as well as enjoy a healthy dose of bug fixes ahead of the fall Creator's Update release. Build 16273 bug fixes include resolving an issue where Facebook status updates got erased during input in the Edge browser, icons couldn't be dragged and dropped …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

And when ?

Is Microsoft going to stop reverting everything to their default settings after each friggin' update ?

1. fobobob

Re: And when ?

Never. Probably.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Which is why you have to accept that after every update you're going to have to use ShutUp10 from those fine fellows at O&O.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Mage Silver badge
        Unhappy

The last update I did switched on one Sharing to MS setting. I do check each time.

Can I block "fall Creator's Update release" and only have security and bug fixes? Especially fix the stupid ultraflat GUI that has silly phone elements and inconsistent settings locations.

I don't care about the AR or an extra font. I've far too many already! Mostly I look for fonts similar to old printed ones to recreate old instructions, posters, labels etc. on stuff from 1920s to 1980s. I don't care to have a new font for the screen or for printed books I publish. If I do, there are plenty decent fonts out there.

Though my main laptop only runs Linux Mint + Mate and I have an Android Tablet, I do still mind a Win 10 Tablet / Keyboard and a Win 10 desktop for a games player.

1. Timmy B

I find it odd that you complain about phone elements when the icons in Mate look almost exactly like those in old iOS and those in Cinnamon look almost like those in Samsungs brand of Android. What you'll see as both MS and Apple tend towards flatter OS looks is that Linux will follow as it did with XP / OSX looks.

2. Timmy B

@Def

I see exactly the same. No changes and I run half a dozen W10 PCs.

3. Martin Summers Silver badge

"I've never seen any Windows 10 reset any of my settings."

The bogus 'error' that comes up stating there was a problem with the default PDF reader so it is helpfully being reset to Microsoft Edge for you is just one of the incredibly agitating and support call inducing resets I can think of.

2. James 47

The Content Creators Update borked the FPS on the one game I play. I'm looking forward to having to rollback this update too

3. David Austin

Virtual or Augmented reality?

Of the two, I can see augmented growing faster, even against Vive PSVR and Rift, which are viable products.

Step outside of gaming, and augmented seems the more immediately useful, cheaper to deploy, and more portable than the current goggles.

4. Luke Worm

What? No new emojis? I thought that was an integral part of an operating system update nowadays

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Devil

The only new emoji that would matter is "REALLY PISSED OFF AT MICRO-SHAFT" which would look a LOT like a hand with a firmly extended middle finger...

5. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Mushroom

If you're gonna do "something 3D"...

Micro-shaft: If you're gonna do "something 3D", why not 3D SKEUOMORPHIC UI APPEARANCE????

You know, instead of that 2D FLATSO FLUGLINESS that began with Windows "Ape".

(and while you're at it, get rid of the SLURPING and AD-NAGGING, too)

Micro-shaft: majoring in the 'minors' with another worthless "new, shiny".

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: If you're gonna do "something 3D"...

Don't worry! Windows 11 will be designed bottom up for use with HoloLens.

Obviously, those who want to use Win11 on desktops and other "so yesterday" UX's will have to stick a piece of tape over the webcam (on by default). However, you won't then be able to use the pan room feature - ie. when you turn round to look behind you, the screen won't display whats behind you (and you won't be able to see the screen)! Also, you won't be able to display the hidden menu's since they are eye and head movement controlled (likewise the mouse) - although for backwards compatibility the keyboard shortcuts will work if spoken to Siri.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Also...

And who dares speak of Windows 10 mobile?

1. nkuk

Re: Also...

I think even the most ardent of Microsoft fans have given up on it now, and have moved on to thinking the next vapourware "Andromeda" is going to somehow right all the wrongs of the last 7+ years even though all the developers, customers and mobile providers have given up and moved on.

1. cambsukguy

Re: Also...

Still using my 950, still works, still gets updates.

Since I don't 'have to have' every new App, the lack of them is less of a problem to me.

I require Mail to work, Office to work with real Office files, Word and Excel especially, PP is nice.

I require a working cloud storage App.

I require Skype and, if I have to, WhatsApp.

I require Text messaging and a phone book etc.

I require a decent camera.

I like lots of storage.

I don't want to pay too much.

I want it a reasonable size and a reasonable screen resolution.

I want updates, especially security ones,

I want a browser that displays most web pages and runs fancy things like video.

I want an eReader with lots of features.

I like having Hiking, Tracking type apps.

Alarms are useful, timers etc. can also be useful.

My 950 does all of the above better than most, especially the Camera and the Office stuff.

The price was 250, why the hell would I pay more or replace what I have.

This phone will be replaced with another 950, second-hand if it breaks or a Surface-type super phone if such an animal comes along.

If nothing else is available I will try an HP x3 thing before I use Android or iOS.

I don't care if other people prefer their phones, I object only to the continual dismissal, without even owning and using one.

At least I have used Android and iOS (for work purposes) and have come to a conclusion based on use not cynicism.

I get that MS don't give a shit about actual phones but the OS is the OS and it works just fine and is maintained at least.

If they make Edge cooler on the PC, the phone tends to get that feature too.

And, most importantly, the bug fixes come to the phone where they are in phone code.

Stop dissing a completely acceptable Phone OS and I will stop ranting, maybe.

2. YARR

Mobiles are more about consuming rather than creating content.

That said, many full-fat Windows users wont want these creator tools filling up their main drive (esp. 32Gb eMMCs on cheapo convertibles), so MS would cause less hassle if they offered them as optional Windows Store apps.

7. LeahroyNake
    Flame

Half hour of my life

I'm guessing this is the update that had me standing about like an idiot for half hour at a customers while my laptop booted up ?

Seriously all I had to do was copy some firmware onto an SD card to update a copier.

Fracking give us an option to avoid this crap !

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Re: Half hour of my life

Unless you have insider previews activated on a laptop you use to take to site day to day and rely on (I would hope not) then no it won't be.

8. Patched Out

Windows 10 Updates? What's that?

For some reason my Windows 10 installation always fails when attempting to update to a new edition. I started with the free upgrade version that installed over Windows 7, so thinking that was the problem, I did a complete clean install last winter to get the November Update. But all subsequent attempts at updates have failed since then.

Maybe this is a good thing.

On the brighter side, the normal security updates are working fine.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Windows 10 Updates? What's that?

>For some reason my Windows 10 installation always fails when attempting to update to a new edition.

Got a third-party AV package installed? Uninstall before installing update then reinstall using the latest download from the vendor's site - have to do this everytime for a client.

They are also still on the November 2016 update, not seen any sign of the April 2017 Creators update, but they are still getting security updates. This uncertainty over updates doesn't help planning or customer relations...

1. nijam Silver badge

> Got a third-party AV package installed?

Got a third-party AV package installed? It will identify the update as malware.

FTFY

2. EddieD

"They are also still on the November 2016 update, not seen any sign of the April 2017 Creators update, but they are still getting security updates. This uncertainty over updates doesn't help planning or customer relations..."

About a third of the folks I know with W10 (including me) haven't received the Creators update.

I don't think any of us are missing it, but as you so rightly say the uncertainty is extremely jarring. You can go to the hassle of downloading it and manually installing the update, but a lot of SMEs, rightly or wrongly*, rely on the AutoUpdate to simplify their workload.

*Almost certainly, for a business, wrongly, but a lot of SMEs are single digit workforce, and employing someone to update the machines just won't happen.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Coat

Keep quiet and be happy with your lot lest Redmond find out how to change things to get you back on the treadmill.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

"Keep quiet and be happy with your lot lest Redmond find out how to change things to get you back on the treadmill."
        Don't worry, they've had their fingers firmly lodged in their earholes for quite some time now and I don't think that's going to change in the near future. Sad really...

9. the Jim bloke
    Facepalm

"The post notes that "we are now at the point of the development cycle for the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update where our focus is now on stabilization for release to the world" so we might be seeing mostly bug fixes for a little while yet"

but instead, we will be distracted by something shiny, or a management change will decree a new UI layout to prove they are being pro-active, or the bean counters will off-shore the development to someplace where literacy is a four letter word, or....

stability ? bug fixes ?...

nah.

10. thomas k

Facebook status updates got erased during input in the Edge

That's not a bug, it's a feature.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Microsoft still dreaming of that 'third ecosystem' i.e. app store?

Windows Store... who really is using it?

12. ITS Retired

Bug fixes?

Wouldn't that require a massive rewrite?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like