back to article Paris nightclub red-faced after booze-for-boobs offer exposed

Bar staff at a nightclub in Paris have hit upon a two-for-one idea to boost custom by promising female patrons that dare to bare their boobs a small, free drink. Wanderlust, an open-air club billed on TripAdvisor as the best in the French capital by one punter, displayed a sign that stated "tits = shots". It was spotted, …

1. SkippyBing

Outrageous Sexism

Surely men should be offered a free shot for showing their boobs or wearing a short skirt as well. I wouldn't have to pay for a drink all night...

1. Steve K

Re: Outrageous Sexism

Maybe they would pay more for you NOT to do either.....;-)

1. SkippyBing

'Maybe they would pay more for you NOT to do either.....;-)'

Judging by the reaction last time I was forced to go out in drag, that's right forced, you may have a point...

1. Steve K

On a loosely-related note, many years ago, participating in a Central London stag night dressed (in drag) as old ladies, we overheard a US tourist observing this in McDonalds at Tower Bridge and remarking "Gee, these UK cross-dressers sure are ugly"...

No photos remain, I am relieved to say! To anyone reading, if you saw any of this in early December 1999 (or were that US tourist) then I can only apologise.

The sight of my Kiwi ex-brother-in-law with huge colourful tattoos, wig and what remained of an old lady dress running down a platform at Waterloo is not easily erased from one's mind.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Of course, but sexism, according to the press, is only rampant in the IT world. Everywhere else everything is fine...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Of course, but sexism, according to the press, is only rampant in the IT world. "

That is a reflection on your chosen reading material rather than reality.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I know, but I'm referring to articles like this:

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-08-19/how-women-got-crowded-out-of-the-computing-revolution

Which has been relaunched by others. It looks that today the worst people, the more racist, the more sexist are programmers... other categories just fine, despite the news...

1. h4rm0ny
            Paris Hilton

There were lots of female programmers in the 1980's. Today, it's down to around 20% in the USA (not sure of figures for UK but likely comparable). You suggest that women have been "crowded out". I believe more likely is that women have ceased to be crowded out in other places. In the 1980's it was very hard as a woman to progress in a career in law, in medicine, veterinary science, in business and to an extent, in the Sciences. Nowadays women make up 51% of law students in the USA, make up the overwhelming majority of veterinarians and have similarly surged in management and medicine and other areas. Where did all these smart women magically come from? A lot jumped ship from IT. In the early years of computers going mainstream, it was actually seen as an outgrowth of secretarial work. Cosmopolitan magazine had an article in the 80's on what a good career it was for women and Admiral Grace Hopper (Peace be upon her) said programming was "like planning a meal - you had to make sure everything arrived when it was supposed to arrive". A peculiarly (for the time, offensive now) female way of selling the career as one suited for women.

Why suppose that women have been "crowded out" of this moderately well paying career rather than falling sexism allowing the pursuit other careers that are either more lucrative (management, medicine and law all typically pay better) or more interesting; or both?

In country's with a higher degree of sexism than the West - Iran, Indonesia for example - gender ratios in programming are actually more even. It's likely not that these countries are more enlightened than us in this one, rather specific area, and more that the prejudices prevent women progressing in more traditionally male careers such as law, management, medicine, et al.

N.b. to be very, very clear - women perform equally to men in technical areas, scoring as well in maths and in engineering in general. But what we are finding is that many women choose other areas more so than men do. Not exclusively, but to a degree that is noticeable.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

Interesting points h4rm0ny and well-taken...

2. h4rm0ny
              Headmaster

>>"In country's"

In country's what?

Shame on you. You were doing well until then!

3. Mark 65

@h4rm0ny: I've often felt it the case that many find it far too easy to just play the sexism card when it comes to women in computing than to stop and think a little and come to the conclusion that maybe, just maybe, they have gone into other careers that are more lucrative and more interesting to them. Let's not forget that programmers and other IT workers are often seen as almost a worthless commodity to be bought at the lowest price possible by many in management and on the user side of the fence. I mean what female wouldn't want to spend the next 40+ years of their life being treated like they're an inconvenience? Not to mention that, where I live at least, there is a booming section of women that have decided to create their own businesses post child birth in order to have greater freedom around the time they have to do things. My guess is that most of these have never looked back. Mumtrepreneurs I believe is the hipster tag for them.

1. Tigra 07
                Pint

...That or hairdressing, teaching, childcare, nursing (or other jobs ignored in the equality debate where men are non-existent)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yeah, again loosely connected, some of the females in my house will doubtless be watching Shitly Come Dancing in the autumn. I hate it, so I've no idea of the line up of 'celebrities'. One thing can be guaranteed : some of the male contestants will be 20-30 years old, probably from Hollyoaks or the like, and they'll be spending a lot of their time topless, for the benefit of teenies or the menopausal. One year, I suggested that some of the female professional dancers should, in the interests of equality, perform topless as well. For reasons I'm struggling to remember (due to the mild concussion I received in the seconds after the suggestion), the females in my house thought that proposal unacceptable.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

The Femen, who visit churches -including Notre Dame, very close to Wanderlust- for the sole purpose of baring their chests in there, are presumably the archetype of machism and misoginy, then, one would suppose ? Or is it a Bad Thing (TM) only in night clubs ?

4. Stevie

Re: Surely men should be offered a free shot

...for showing their boobs or wearing a short skirt as well.

Well I wore a dress, fishnets and hobnail boots when I went to a Halloween party as Granny Weatherwax.

All I know is I've never felt so free and I'm never going back.

1. Dazed and Confused

Some how I can't imagine Granny Weatherwax in fishnets.

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

> Some how I can't imagine Granny Weatherwax in fishnets.

Unfortunately, I can... and there is NOT enough Tequila in the house...

1. Stevie

Re:there is NOT enough Tequila

I admit that while I was shooting for Granny Weatherwax I might have actually come closer to Nanny Ogg in the realization.

2. JimboSmith Silver badge

Have an Upvote for the Sir Pterry reference.

3. Peter Gathercole Silver badge

Re: Surely men should be offered a free shot @Stevie

Fishnets would have been more likely if you were trying to dress like Nanny Ogg.

IIRC, Granny Weatherwax only ever wore traditional witches garb, with the exception of the aforementioned hob-nailed boots.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ahem - my namesake does NOT wear fishnets - it's stripey tights and more layers of petitcoats than you can shake a wizard's staff at. Hobnail boots is perfect, though.

2. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Not unusual

In one of my favorite bars there was a row of lady breast and chap buttocks snaps behind the counter. I don't remember if the barkeep offered a shot for these, but being featured there was considered a badge of honour by all parties. Although presumably not for life. Quite luckily, instant snaps have quite a limited lifetime when kept exposed to light, after a few years the snaps would have faded and be replaced.

1. ratfox
      Paris Hilton

Re: Not unusual

Films can be kept in good condition forever though, and be used to print more pictures...?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Films can be kept in good condition forever though, and be used to print more pictures...?"

Polaroids are basically an instant one-off print medium - although IIRC they did experiment with a "negative" system for later copies.

Polaroid cameras were once the equivalent of SnapChat for couples exchanging intimate pictures - especially in colour.

1. Kimo

Polaroid sold a professional film that produced an instant print and negative for medium and large format cameras. It was mostly intended as a way to check lights at professional photos shoots.

1. Steve the Cynic

And don't forget the original peel-apart Polaroid film. I have this memory of my dad having one of the Polaroid cameras from that time. Take picture, wait for it to eject from the camera, wait 90 seconds, peel apart, throw away the other half very carefully. (Much like the pro film, I guess, except that perhaps the pro version let you keep the other half as the negative.)

1. POKE 649,0
              Paris Hilton

Shake it, Shake, shake shake, shake it, shake shake shake, shake it like a Polaroid Picture.

Paris... well because Paris.

2. PNGuinn
              FAIL

Take picture, wait for it to eject from the camera

You were lucky!

When I were a lad we 'ad t' 'old onter camera wi' both 'ands while tugging on't flimsy little paper tab on't side wi' t'other pair.

AND we had to know 'ow t' count up t' 30 afore we could pull 't film apart ...

AND we 'ad t' know t'at were seconds we was counting...

AND we 'ad t' know wot a second was ...

AND 'ow long it was ...

AND when it were cold we 'ad t' put pussy caustic film in't aluminium frame wi' our toes...

AND we 'ad 't pull't frame out 'o back o' camera wi' our teeth ...

AND open up t' frame wi' our t'other pair ...

AND use t'other set of toes t' put 'pussy caustic frame up an armpit t' keep it warm ...

AND if we tore 't little paper tab out o' camera our dad ....

Kids. Don't Know y've bin born!

3. Lord Schwindratzheim

Polaroid stopped making the peel apart film some years ago but Fuji carried the torch until they ceased production early this year.

Still got a few boxes of the Fuji in my fridge. Quality compared to the modern Instax stuff is wonderful, lugging around 3.5 kilos of attached Mamaiya less so.

2. Andrew Moore

I can remember a bar in down town San Diego which hung bras (given by drunken patrons) from the ceiling.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I'll top you the Red Panty bar in Nuevo Progresso Mexico. Don't know if it still exists. They only had (or needed) one pair.

2. Sam 15

"I can remember a bar in down town San Diego which hung bras (given by drunken patrons) from the ceiling."

Shoddy construction work.

The ceiling shouldn't have needed that extra support.

3. Marty McFly Silver badge

That was the infamous 'Top Gun' bar (used in the movie). Definitely seedy. Burned down a few years ago IIRC. Good BBQ though.

3. Dazed and Confused

When I worked as a barman several women offered to flash their boobs (or more) for a free drink. Some of them weren't even pissed first.

4. Kernel

I'm not sure if it;s still there, but a few years ago there was a bar in Taupo, NZ, that had a wall decorated with framed bras that various female customers (I assume) had donated.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bunch of Millie Tants.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Shouldn't this be a two for one offer?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sounds more like a one-for-two offer to me.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Depends on which side of the bar your standing.

5. Buzzword

Streisand effect

And that's how you drum up business in Paris during the slow August holiday season.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm usually a tolerant leftie but I fail to see the problem with this 'offer'. Unless they are saying it's exploitative of poorer females??

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't think it even manages to do that... Just "exploits" the exhibitionists.

Ladies are more than capable of getting free drinks the traditional way... Simply identify a gentleman in a club and talk to him for a few minutes.

1. AMBxx Silver badge

Downvote just for being a leftie!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Can I ask what a "leftie" is?

A couple of years ago this phrase had no meaning yet now it is described as anyone that isn't on the right, which is another phrase that had a different meaning.

Why would you downvote someone for being a "leftie"? It doesn't exist except in the rantings of a peculiar president.

In an ideal world everyone would take a step back and evaluate where we are going, what the mainstream press is pushing and then push back because to do otherwise means you are sheep.

Maybe it's an outlet for anger, that kind of makes sense. Placate the masses by allowing them to vent anger at different groups and each other.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: What is a leftie

A leftie is a homo Satan worshipper determined to spend white mens' taxes on supporting terrorist immigrants and using profits from sexually exploiting children to run gay conversion camps. All that pales into insignificance when you discover they use their own email servers.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

"A leftie is a homo Satan worshipper determined to spend white mens' taxes on supporting terrorist immigrants and using profits from sexually exploiting children to run gay conversion camps. All that pales into insignificance when you discover they use their own email servers."

In the sake of fairness, let's hear both sides....

A rightie is a beastial Klan member determined to spend white mens' taxes on supporting terrorist nationalists and using profits from exploiting immigrants on low wages to run fascist conversion camps. All that pales into insignificance when you discover they are bigger communist bedfellows than they slam their opponents for being.

1. PNGuinn
                Go

In the sake of fairness, let's hear both sides....

In these modern and enlightened times it's just so incorrect to just limit the argument to 2 sides.

Are you trying to offend someone(s)?

1. the Jim bloke

Re: In the sake of fairness, let's hear both sides....

There are only ever two sides to any argument

Mine,

and the others.

2. PNGuinn
              Holmes

"A leftie is a homo Satan worshipper determined to spend white mens' taxes on supporting terrorist immigrants and using profits from sexually exploiting children to run gay conversion camps. All that pales into insignificance when you discover they use their own email servers."

Yup, that'll do.

When I were a lad, lefties used the term "fascist" I never did get a proper definition out of 'em, but it seemed to mean "Someone whose politics are very slightly to the right of mine and with whom I choose to disagree".

Does that help at all?

3. Oh Homer
              Headmaster

Lefties were Montagnards who sat on the left-hand side of the French Assembly, initially at the Palace of Versailles, and represented the interests of the common man, mostly the commoners of Paris, in opposition to the Girondistes, who represented the interests of the elite, primarily King Louis XVI of France.

Today, a Leftie is anyone who opposes any political ideology, policy or initiative that could most succinctly be characterised as Social Darwinism, which for the most part encompasses Neoliberalism and Neoconservatism, or in other words that which now sadly qualifies as mainstream politics.

1. Potemkine! Silver badge

" Girondistes, who represented the interests of the elite, primarily King Louis XVI of France".

I disagree - Girondins were moderates who opposed the extremism of the Mountain . They were also defending federalism against parisian centralism.

2. Mark 85

Hmm.. at one time, those who where "lefties" were left-handed.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

"Hmm.. at one time, those who where "lefties" were left-handed."
              Still are AFAICT. They're a sinister lot and need to be downvoted at every opportunity!

1. nijam Silver badge

> They're a sinister lot and need to be downvoted at every opportunity!

Some of them are merely gauche.

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

hey're a sinister lot

But not in the bend sense..

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

So essentially...

Left vs Right is a French plot to destabilise English-speaking democracies to that we revert to the level of eating snails.

It's well on the way to working.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre
                    Coat

Re: So essentially...

> English-speaking democracies

that would be... South Africa perhaps? Can't see any other country that would fit the bill...

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

those who where "lefties" were left-handed.

Or "clickies" apparently. Or at least where my wife was dragged^W brought up.

And no, I have no idea why.

3. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Live and leftie

I lean quite radically port-side myself (#no_innuendo) and I am often very surprised by the range of ideas covered by the word "leftie" (or its equivalents in various languages).

In the present case for example, OP seemed to infer that a "leftie" should automatically approve of the twittergasm and thus condemn the voluntary baring of skin. From where I stand, this would seem extremely prude and very right-wing (not an attack).

Some responses suggest that "leftie" means "whoever doesn't agree with Trump" - which is awfully region-specific - because for some very badly mislead people, left = stalinism ( historically speaking, Staline is closer to autocratic fascism -far right- than to communism. In fact, Staline had all the "real" communists killed or deported).

One thing about Staline: he stained his hair black, unlike modern-time like-minded politicians. Orange may well be the new black, after all...

1. PNGuinn
              Headmaster

Staline

Wasn't he the guy who used to send people as slaves to the salt mines?

1. Oh Homer
                Joke

Re: Staline

Salt mines were a Staline solution.

4. PNGuinn
            Headmaster

Can I ask what a "leftie" is?

NO, you may not. You'll likely fall foul of the new rules on Internet Hate Speech (TM)

5. x 7

Isn't a left-footer a catholic?

(or was it a freemason? same thing I guess really - both are the unspeakable who believe in the impossible)

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Simply identify a gentleman"

But how many of the men are gentlemen?

Needless to say, Feynman had a story about this.

2. PNGuinn
      Trollface

I'm usually a tolerant leftie

"but I fail to see the problem with this 'offer'. Unless they are saying it's exploitative of poorer females??"

It's capitalism, my dear boy, capitalism.

Anyways, Shirley there are no tolerant lefties.

AHAH! you're a closet tory and I claim my £5.

No, you can't have any commission.

7. Chris G

Wanted!

A life. The old one was too stuffy.

The lady that complained would probably have a fit here,(Ibiza) I have seen tea bags with more material than the swimsuits the girls wear for streetwear and they don't wear much more in the clubs at night, which is not unreasonable considering the 30+ temperatures in the clubs.

On occasion I have seen topless girls walking around in Ibiza town too.

As for actual beachwear, skin is popular.

1. Stevie

Re: Wanted!

Ah, Miami. Where business casual is apparently a dental floss bikini.

(Cue obligatory "And the women wear even less" punch line).

8. Stevie

Bah!

Did anyone actually say "no drinks unless you lift up yer shirt?", because I'm having difficulty seeing the outrage myself.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bah!

I think the main issue was the more pissed you are, the more likely you are to do it.

1. Version 1.0 Silver badge

I'm 65 and was recently given a bunch of photographs from my days as a Hash House Harrier some 20 years ago - needless to say, I have never had plans to run for public office but what the heck - does anyone really care about this. People do what people do, drunk or sober. Let's just get over it.

And FWIW - I had a hell of a lot of fun Hashing for many years - Hashers, a drinking club with a running problem.

1. nijam Silver badge

> Hash House Harrier

I thought they ran for pubs, not offices...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I think the main issue was the more pissed you are, the more likely you are to do it."

In my youth it was also a matter of how pissed you told yourself you were. Although alcohol removes inhibitions - there is also the psychological effect of excusing your behaviour to yourself "because I was drunk". You can behave in a desired way that is normally thought "not allowed".

ISTR an experiment where students were given a placebo drink that they thought was alcoholic. Their inhibitions decreased in the same way as if they had had alcohol. Possibly the same phenomenon as the "contact high" - or more colloquially "drunk from the smell of the barmaid's apron".

3. Oh Homer
        Childcatcher

Re: "the more pissed you are"

What? You mean businesses whose sole purpose is the sale of alcohol exploit drunk people for money?

Outrageous!

2. codejunky Silver badge

I am not sure about the source of the outrage it could be a number of things-

> Only women could get free drinks. Poor blokes cant flash for some booze.

> Women are the weaker sex and need protecting from their own actions.

> Following Lost all faith...: women are so immature and incapable of looking after themselves that their actions need policing if we dont police their alcohol intake. (I agree with faith btw, not that it should cause outrage)

> Because someone was so bored they needed something to be outraged about.

3. Brangdon

Some women don't want to be asked to expose themselves when they go out at night. It's objectifying and part of rape culture. It probably counts as solicitation - it's not much different to kerb-crawling or offering to pay random women for sex acts.

I don't know about outrage, but it's understandable that some women would want to warn their friends to avoid this bar, and the bar's owner might be annoyed at the loss of business.

1. h4rm0ny

Is there any evidence that women were pressured into doing this? Seriously - "rape culture"? "counts as solicitation?" "not much different to kerb crawling?"

This sounds like someone from outside the a micro-culture poking their nose into something they don't understand and applying their own values on other people. I very much doubt the women who did this were coerced. Enticed, maybe. But enticement is not a bad thing.

9. ukgnome
    FAIL

snapped by a Polaroid camera

What is the world coming to when a 3rd rate camera is used.

Surely someone can suggest a cheap photo printer.

1. Stevie

Re: snapped by a Polaroid camera

I rather think, given the expense of obtaining Polaroid film, that if it is in fact Polaroids we are talking about and not some journalistic shorthand for a more modern alternative, that the point is that the subjects of the photos have some expectation of them not hitting the internet and dogging them for the rest of their days.

Of course, all it takes is one drunken lout with a cell phone more intelligent than they are to make that problematical - assuming there is no "no phone snaps" policy at the bar in question.

Were I the bar staff, I would be making damned sure that no-one in the audience was taking their own snaps of the event itself too.

But then again, I was brought up with the Sunday Mirror's pictures that accompanied the serialization of Desmond Morris's "The Human Zoo" and "The Naked Ape", and the Mirror's page five model. I don't freak out when shown a pair of breasts, nor do I place any expectations on the owner of them if she should show them to me - providing that if she whips them out she doesn't get bent out of shape if I cop a look. I am a hetero male after all, and have my own hard-wiring (Ha!) soldered in place by millions of years of evolution and 60-summodd years seeking wisdom (and the occasional exposed female chest).

Anyway, they are breasts. They need air.

1. Simon Harris

Re: "expectation of them not hitting the internet"

Three words...

Flat Bed Scanner

1. Scroticus Canis
          Pirate

Re: Flat Bed Scanner - what about the office photocopier?

Certain office Christmas parties often found the out tray of the photocopier loaded with commando-style images of ladies naughty bits.

The only person who got outraged about it was the HR old biddy. Thankfully she was no longer agile enough to get on up (which was playing in the discos back then).

10. nickx89

I didn't read that.

Nudity, Nudity, Everywhere. And they are stupid enough to show it regardless of their privacy concerns.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

All the rage

contactless payment!

Unless the bill is over £30.

Don't ask me though, the last Tits I saw were pecking my fat balls.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: All the rage

I am going to guess the downvote you got was for the "fat balls" comment (highly nutritious bird feed, not anything remotely to do with male genitalia).

12. Unclezip

I'm OK with this

People get their tits in a wringer over the smallest things.

13. Andy Tunnah

Really ?

>before questioning if those that agree to expose themselves have not already drunk too much.

Ah yes, because a woman who flashes her tatas is clearly in no straight state of mind and must be being taken advantage of. Or maybe they just don't really see it as a big deal, and hey, some *might even find it funny*.

But nope, it's gotta be exploitation.

1. Andrew Moore

Re: Really ?

Also, this is France, and they have very funny ideas regarding sex...

1. JLV

Not the least being that women are strongly encouraged to be topless on French beaches ; - )

2. Dr_N
        Gimp

@Andrew Moore & JLV

In your dreams, maybe?

1. Nick Ryan Silver badge

Hardly - the last I checked it wasn't unusual for French breakfast TV to feature nude pictures of their viewers... male or female, they didn't care. It has been a few years since I checked though...

14. Simon Harris
    Joke

Same here...

My local pound shop has a similar scheme...

they call it Tit-For-Tat.

15. Potemkine! Silver badge

The outrage might be justified...

.. if you consider it's a light form of prostitution: something is offered in exchange of a service with a sexual connotation.

At a time, showing naked knees was considered as sexual exhibition, we can only hope mentalities will continue to evolve and someday, showing breasts or nude bodies will be something culturally acceptable as it was in the past (NSFW in puritanical and strait-laced countries)

1. Simon Harris
      Pint

Re: "showing naked knees was considered as sexual exhibition"

Patellae for pints?

Kneecaps for nightcaps?

2. nijam Silver badge

Re: The outrage might be justified...

> ... something is offered in exchange of a service with a sexual connotation

You mean like marriage used to be?

1. codejunky Silver badge
        Devil

Re: The outrage might be justified...

@ nijam

"You mean like marriage used to be?"

Not sure why this was never prosecuted as a bate and switch

16. chivo243 Silver badge
    Coat

Compulsory Flag?

SUYT An acquaintance had a flag on his boat with this abbreviation, it got a lot of attention! But that was back in the 90's before everything, including sex had to be PC...

Not my coat, I think it belongs to Larry Flynt or Hugh Heffner or possibly Bob Guccione...

17. bjr

Phony story

Everything about this story sounds phony. Polaroids in 2017, where would you buy the film? A Paris bar, maybe Salt Lake City but not Paris. The beaches in France have been nude since the 1950s, it's doubtful that the bartenders would bother offer anything for a simple tit flash in Paris and even if they did why would the management feel a need to apologize?

1. Simon Harris

Re: Phony story

Polaroid film isn't that hard to come by - instant cameras have had a bit of a renaissance over the last few years, and unless I'm very much mistaken, if you can't be bothered to look for a camera shop (even though there are plenty in Paris), Amazon still deliver to France.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Polaroids in 2017, where would you buy the film?

Their website, it seems.

3. h4rm0ny

>>it's doubtful that the bartenders would bother offer anything for a simple tit flash in Paris

You don't go to a bar purely for the alcohol. You could just buy it in Tescos if you wanted. You go for the atmosphere and the people. They probably thought that it created a fun and flirty atmosphere in the club. And they were probably right, as well.

>>and even if they did why would the management feel a need to apologize?

Same reason any company feels the need to apologise for something like this - fear of the hordes of complaints, harassment and protest that comes with offending a certain online segment of society these days.

That said, reviews of the club on TripAdvisor are pretty dire. I quote: "I'd rather go to a nightclub in Rhyl"

1. Simon Harris

'That said, reviews of the club on TripAdvisor are pretty dire. I quote: "I'd rather go to a nightclub in Rhyl"'

That's a bit harsh - I'm sure lots of people have had many happy mammaries of that place.

18. EveryTime

Unless things have changed in the past few years, Polaroid film isn't Polaroid any more. It's a work-alike clone that is expensive and infamously inconsistent.

You used to be able to buy old stock kept in cold storage. It was expensive and still a dice roll.

1. Adrian 4

You know that polaroid have reinvented instant cameras as digital-camera+printer ?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Polaroid-Z2300-Digital-Instant-Camera/dp/B008GVXL1A

19. hellwig

Soooo confused.

Are women allowed to own and be proud of their bodies? Or are they supposed to be ashamed and hide their bodies for fear of what effect they have on un-controllable men?

Isn't France the same country where so many towns are trying to ban burqa's and burqini's? Do they want women to expose themselves or not?

Seriously France, get your shit together.

20. AdamWill
    Joke

as if

"It is not clear what sort of punishment the staff will receive, but given the bar is in Paris, it might involve being forced to be pleasant to customers for a whole year. Sacré bleu!"

Any self-respecting Parisian member of the service industry would choose the death penalty over that.

21. W. Anderson

Limit to blaming bar staff

While to offer of free drinks for popping boobs may have a tait of sexism for most, the female making complaint could not, and any circumstances blame rthe bar should the participating women drink excessively, since these women are responsible for their own behavior., whether exposing their tits for Free drink or over indulging.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reminds me of a cafe in Oxford in probably 1976.

During a spell of very hot weather the female owner banned topless men. Her argument was that women weren't allowed to be topless there by public opinion or law - so men shouldn't be allowed either.

I once threw a Vicars & Tarts party (definitely no longer PC) for people from the office. It was interesting the amount of licence the women took in their outfits - especially those who had been regarded as rather prim and proper.

On an earlier occasion I had a flat warming party. The next door neighbour was renowned as being a prim battle-axe who always complained about younger residents' behaviour - but I invited her out of courtesy. The flat had just been renovated - and on the carpet was one of the popular goat skin rugs. To the amazement of the assembled company the neighbour made a bee-line for it - and gave a very sultry impression of Eartha Kitt singing "Old Fashioned Millionaire".

An invitation to a friend's birthday fancy dress party was accompanied by a warning that one of the neighbours pulled mens' trousers down after she had had a few drinks. I went in a grass skirt with "warpaint" on my body. At some point someone jokingly asked what make were my briefs - so I took them off - having a G-string under them. The woman was then encouraged by the company to take my G-string off. It became obvious that pissed as she was - the public challenge and my neutral stance - voided the kick she would normally have sought. .

23. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Mushroom

Who cares

Seriosuly I would pay for anyone offended by this to have his teeth loosended,

The "IMMA OFFENDED!!" clown circus must come to end, by force or more force.

It's fucking time, where is my Dodge Ram?

24. crediblywitless

There's an episode of "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia" about this.

25. Bandikoto

I can imagine the casual chat Management had with the barmen

"Good job lads, but next time, ixnay on the ignsay." However you say that in French.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

However you say that in French.

Bof!

26. IceC0ld

"Hmm.. at one time, those who where "lefties" were left-handed."

Still are AFAICT. They're a SINISTER lot and need to be downvoted at every opportunity!

oh well played LOL

old school Latin lessons DO come in handy :o)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like