back to article Samsung heir does not pass Go, does not collect $200

Samsung vice-chairman Lee Jae-yong has been sentenced to five years in the clink for corruption after a six-month trial. A Seoul court found him guilty of paying bribes in expectation of favours from disgraced former South Korean president Park Geun-hye, hiding assets abroad, embezzlement and perjury, Reuters reports. Lee – …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Five years for bribing the president?

Makes you wonder.

1. jmch Silver badge

Re: Five years for bribing the president?

Makes you wonder what?

I can't work out if you think that's too harsh or too lenient!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did they just create...

.....a Korean Mr Bridger?

3. Sam Therapy
    FAIL

Not having a great time lately, are they? Phucked phones, trashed tellies and chairman in chokey.

Oh dear

How sad

Never mind.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Don't forgot about the exploding washing machines! Happened to a friend of mine last fall, and he had the Facebook pictures to prove it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

@Sam Therapy

Given Apple follows Samsung and Samsung follows Apple.

We should expect a chairman at Apple to do 10 years to outdo Samsung then sue Samsung for infringing their patent on bribery and corruption.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Meanwhile the US couldn't even jail one guy

Despite all the obviously corrupt things that happened that helped cause the housing bubble and economic collapse in 2008, and here bribing the president or politicians to do your bidding is called "lobbying" or "campaign finance".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Meanwhile the US couldn't even jail one guy

I was gonna say, in the US, the entire membership of the CFR should be in jail...

But simply owning the entire place is different from a bribe. They don't bribe, by Hillary's admission, they just tell them what to do and the political actors follow suit.

Nobody wants to be next in line for sacrificial disembowelment at the feet of the owl in the Bohemian Grove. And Kennedy still stands as a warning to any politician who mistakenly thinks he has any power to wield.

5. handleoclast
    Coat

Brand loyalty?

I wonder if he'll retain any brand loyalty towards Samsung when faced with having to secrete his (not permitted in jail) mobile phone in a bodily orifice. There are no good places for a mobile phone to burn violently but one of the worst I can think of for an exploding phone is up your arse.

6. Paul Horstink
    Thumb Up

You got my thumbsup...

for the title

7. Ian Joyner Bronze badge

Doing business?

I don't like Samsung's way of doing business - it is a very aggressive company that lets others build a market sector and then moves in because it can subsidise buying a small market with its power in other areas. I wrote an article on why this is bad for the computing industry as a whole.

http://ianjoyner.name/Open_Source.html

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like