back to article Australian telcos promise to be better NBN helpers

Faced with an escalating crisis of consumer dissatisfaction over the National Broadband Network rollout, the federal government called an all-hands meeting in Canberra at which everybody promised to do better. No, really. In an environment so toxic the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission is reiterating its decade- …

1. Knoydart
    FAIL

Bah ha ha ha

Looks like those MTM chickens are coming home to roost - well done Messrs Abbott and Turnbull. Good luck Australia with your Cu based broadband* future.

*for those of you who have copper wiring that is able to deliver more than 25Mb per second

2. aberglas

It is not the copper wiring

The article is talking about the problems with backhaul. The last mile works fine for most people. But there is no point if the telcos do not provide sufficient capacity at the other end of the wire. And the NBN charges the telcos for the privilege of providing backhaul, which is why they are not doing it.

Leave the "fraudband" politics behind and stick to the facts.

1. julian.smith

Re: It is not the copper wiring

The article is talking about the problems with backhaul.

[correct]

The last mile works fine for most people.

[correct]

But there is no point if the telcos do not provide sufficient capacity at the other end of the wire.

[correct - my personal lowpoint

Ookla NetGauge Result

Down: [*0.9 Mbps*] Up: [*4.3 Mbps*] Latency: [*84 ms*]

Sydney Server 20/07/2017 20:29+10

SkyMesh nbn™ fixed wireless service (Aggregated)

Peak information rate: 25/5 Mbps]

And the NBN charges the telcos for the privilege of providing backhaul, which is why they are not doing it.

[incorrect .. and contradicts your previous point]

Leave the "fraudband" politics behind and stick to the facts.

[good advice ... pity you didn't take it]

2. Robert Heffernan

Re: It is not the copper wiring

Try being stuck on Fixed Wireless. I am in Albury where the entire region is serviced by a single tower. And is so oversubscribed and under provisioned by NBNCo that you're lucky to get 3Mbps during peak times. It's not always the ISP with the bandwidth problem.

NBNCo in my case know about the issue but have lumped it into the "too-hard" basket and refuse to fix

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's going about as well as I expected

And I had VERY low expectations.

4. mathew42
    FAIL

Voter imact < 4%

If the government wants to avoid many of those customers making the NBN an election issue, it needs a lot more action than it's managed so far.

The voter impact will be marginal.

• Only 14% and falling are ordering 100Mbps plans
    • Of those only one third will be on FTTN = 5%
    • Only 70% of premises are predicted to connect = 3.5%

Labor have moved away from FTTP so that is not a vote winner.

Cheaper NBN pricing is what voters care most about. Arguably the LNP don't care. Labor could write off >$30 billion of NBN build costs to enable NBNCo to reduce wholesale prices, but the LNP would have a field day labelling Labor 'poor economic managers'.

1. Colin Tree

Re: Voter imact < 4%

While we have a piss weak captain at the tiller, we'll just go from problem to problem with no resolutions. He is too gutless to stand up to companies, even the government owned NBN, just let them self regulate, the marketplace will sort out any problems.

Listening to Shorton on Q&A, he said they will not replace existing copper installs, but, at one point said they will install more FTTP. But he was dithering a lot through the show, so I don't think even he knew what he was saying. He was pushing slogans, when he could have been selling quality fibre.

The financial windfall will be savings in future maintenance. There will also be increasing efficiencies as they install more fibre.

I'm sure there will be efforts in the future to bring the whole network up to a good standard. Maybe some gold plating before selling it off for a loss to private enterprise.

1. mathew42
        FAIL

Re: Voter imact < 4%

> government owned NBN, just let them self regulate, the marketplace will sort out any problems

The marketplace cannot sort out problems when it is controlled by a monopoly that Labor created and the only competition is wireless plus limited FTTB.

> But he was dithering a lot through the show, so I don't think even he knew what he was saying. He was pushing slogans, when he could have been selling quality fibre.

Possibly he understands that as a result of Labor designing the NBN with speed tiers that for >80% of voters FTTN, FTTB, HFC & FTTP deliver the same result.

> I'm sure there will be efforts in the future to bring the whole network up to a good standard.

What do you define as a good standard? If it is fatser than 25Mbps then why should only a small rich minority receive the benefits of the 'good standard'?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like