back to article Ads regulator raps PC repair biz for massaging malware infection rates

An online PC repair shop was yesterday given a small ticking off by the Advertising Standards Agency – the UK's notoriously gummy marketing watchdog – for claiming that one in three PCs are blighted by malware on a daily basis. The web shop ReimagePlus published a promo on April 21 warning prospective customers: "Don't be part …

1. Roger Varley

Google is your friend here ...

Googling on the Cyprus address Athinodorou 3; Dasoupoli - it's quite interesting the number of times and different places that address turns up in.

1. psychonaut

Re: Google is your friend here ...

that reimage shit practically IS a virus.

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Holmes

I checked Google Maps

Went hunting for that address, Google Maps transformed it into Athinodorou 3, Dasoupolis, Strovolos, Cyprus.

From the satellite image, it looks like a small individual house, not an office building at all. To have that many references pointing to a simple house clearly means something fishy is going on.

1. Roger Varley

Re: I checked Google Maps

Not neccessarily. Here in Cyprus it is not uncommon to find offices, doctors surgeries, dentists etc etc in what look like residential houses or blocks of flats. However, it's the number of different references to that address that make it look dodgy

3. paulf
      Holmes

Re: Google is your friend here ...

I'm surprised* a significant number of people didn't see that claim for the BS it is.

If it completely excludes reinfections then every computer considered by the survey (all in normal use?) would be infected within 3 days. Even if we look at the other end of the scale (every infection is on an already infected computer) the computers in question would acquire 2-3 new malware infections per week and surely become unusable within a few weeks. I'm not saying malware isn't prevalent, but those kind of claims are nuts!

The ASA is a bunch of useless crap - but that shouldn't forgive people who seem to suffer from widespread gullibility. Unfortunately the very people we should accord the highest scepticism (adverts, politicians) are the very ones people seem to lap up with more credulity than they deserve.

*Not surprised

2. Your alien overlord - fear me

I heard that 1 in 3 PC repair shops where investigated by the ASA every day !!!

3. David Roberts
    Facepalm

Hello, this is the Advertising Standards Agency

No thank you.

We don't want any.

4. DontFeedTheTrolls
    Pirate

I haven't checked out their offering, but it sounds like someone logs onto your computer remotely, does some remote stuff, and installs some software that can then remotely help "protect" you.

Now, where have I come across that process before...

1. DontFeedTheTrolls

Further, googled "ReimagePlus", and the top hits seem to be articles on how to remove it. Says a lot really.

5. adam payne

A dodgy piece of software from a dodgy company.

False positives, bundled with other software and detected as a PUP by MBAM good enough reasons to avoid.

What's the betting they ignore ASA and keep on doing whatever they want?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nope, no infections here right now. 700 odd machines.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

but how many normal (i.e. not odd) machines?

7. Tromos

Ditto

At least 6 Internet-facing machines running with Win 95 initially and on Win 7 today. No AV other than Microsoft Security Essentials. No viruses or malware ever activated in 22 years. That comes to over 30000 machine days, so it would require 10000 idiots downloading naked celebrity screensavers to get the claimed level of statistics. I don't for a moment doubt that there are ten thousand idiots out there, but I suspect there must be enough careful and savvy people around too that make the one per three days figure look almost as ridiculous as the wrath of the ASA. They'll probably just move to claiming 2 infections per week which is a different advert and will take the ASA over a month to respond to.

BT got stopped from claiming the most powerful Wi-Fi, so they've just moved to claiming the best coverage which is equally bollocks.

8. Tikimon
    Devil

"1 out of 3 computers is infected by malware every single day"

They only manage to infect one of three computers they work on with malware? That's not much to brag about.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like