back to article How are you feeling today? Don't tell us, save for it this handy emotion-detection code

Computer eggheads from Italy's University of Bari have developed what they claim is "the first open-source toolkit for emotion recognition from text." Developers of Twitter bots, among others, often employ sentiment analysis to evaluate whether text expresses positive or negative feelings. Google engineer Max Braun, for …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"To understand Trump's tweets"

Does anyone?

Time for my morning covfefe I think.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Devil

The one where he gave white supremacists a free pass is pretty understandable.

1. fajensen

Well, If one can for decades sponsor the IRA, numerous jihaddi terrorists and contra death squads abroad, why not be tolerant and inclusive and honest and support some of the same crap at home?

2. Solarflare
  3. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

So now a piece of software can tell me...

You don't look happy enough !

And continously play this song...

4. Tim Seventh
    Go

How to identify Six Emotions

Here' a simple training guide for the EmoTxt.

- oh my god - love

- ooh my god - joy

- OH MY GOD - anger

- ohh my god - sadness

- oh god - fear

- Oh My God - surprise

When you simplified them, they will be

- omg - love

- omg - joy

- OMG - anger

- omg - sadness

- omg - fear

- OMG - surprise

Ok, maybe we should have started with something easier...

5. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

A better way

IF user operating printer: EMOTION = Anger

IF printer working: EMOTION = Surprise

IF user @ pub: EMOTION = Joy

IF user interfacing with online comments: EMOTION = Sadness

IF user is cowering before AI death machine: EMOTION = Fear

THEN computer EMOTION = Joy

ELSE EMOTION = Love

6. Elmer Phud

As if....

I wonder if this latest version of a 'Doris'* can tell sarcasm or not?

*collective noun for mediums

7. sebt
    Flame

No

Just no. Recognition of emotion is a human ability, based on the ability of the person recognising it to feel emotion themselves. It's not yet another fricking terra nullius for techers to try to annex, for no purpose except to sell ways of making money to people who already have money, or to impose a spurious, aggregated "reality" of general sentiment onto human beings.

I'd love to let this "AI" loose on some Nietzsche. Or Saki. Or Swift. See how it rates them on its reductive, one-dimensional scale.

8. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Coat

Surely something for Simon?

I shudder to imagine what the BOFH will do when the boss suggests using this service…

Mine's the one with the a copy of "Give me a free pint or I'll brick your phone" in the pocket.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Google engineer Max Braun, for example, earlier this year released code for a bot designed to buy and sell the stock of public companies mentioned in President Trump's tweets, based on the sometimes correct premise that Trump's praise or condemnation will move the stock price."

- and in buying or selling shares, the twitter bot moves the share price, just like any other trading that occurs. Maybe I should write a twitter bot to act on the share price movement caused by his twitter bot? What could go wrong?

10. bombastic bob Silver badge
    Devil

How do I feel today?

How do I feel today? WITH MY FINGERS! Hands cupped, fingers pointed upwards, wiggle wiggle wiggle...

11. FozzyBear
    Mushroom

Well after walking into the shit storm that is today. They forgot one emotion

Homicidal

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like