back to article A glimpse of life under President Zuckerberg? Facebook CEO's boffins censor awkward Q&A

Money can't buy you love, but it can remove criticism, at least in the hallowed world of Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg. With the Zuck continuing his Definitely Not Getting Into A Presidential Race tour of the United States, carrying out a bizarre series of secret photo-ops and precision-engineered PR-friendly drop-ins on normal …

1. Magani
    Unhappy

Censorship

Is and always has been double-plus ungood.

2. Chris 3

This was an /r/science AMA

Very strict rules about 'science only questions' - so, I presume this was just the mods deleting stuff that didn't follow those rules.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: This was an /r/science AMA

People don't care about what the title of the subreddit is. That Zuckerberg receives so much vitriol on a discussion of a completely unrelated topic tells you that most folks don't give a shit what he has to say on science issues, and these folks will gladly flaunt those fake internet discussion rules to take shots at a man that is dumbing down the Internet for his own personal gain.

Discussion rules don't apply to universally hated figures. People know that he's using the AMA and the touring to distract from the problems he's causing, and the comments are going to reflect that regardless of how much money is spent to squelch them.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Meh

Re: This was an /r/science AMA

having actual SCIENTISTS discussing science would be better than Zuck anyway.

3. Fan of Mr. Obvious

My rant on this situation

[comment removed]

1. Stevie
      Pint

Re: My rant on this situation

[comment removed]

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Re: My rant on this situation

[comment removed]

4. Your alien overlord - fear me

So the big question is why did they even bother with an AMA session?

1. Haku

PR stunt.

1. samzeman

Seems like it may have backfired a little. It's called the Streisand effect right? The more you censor an image or question online, the more people notice it.

1. Swarthy

[comment removed]

2. Tikimon

People mainly notice such things by being told by others. I wonder if the censorship will extend to Faceborg posts about the incident?

That guy is a textbook sociopath.

5. Faux Science Slayer

Help make FakeBook the next MySpace....

Zucky, Bezo and Musk are likely front men for Demonic Warlords.... boycott these monopolists....

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
      Happy

Re: Help make FakeBook the next MySpace....

Musk isn't a monopolist. At least not yet. Though if his rocket tech keeps improving and the rest of the industry doesn't catch up, I suppose he might be.

Admittedly he's got the name, and the spaceships, to be a demonic warlord (whatever one of those is). Or at least a Bond villain.

1. MJI Silver badge

Musk is definately Bond Villain not demonic warlord.

White cat.

Volcano base

Yes Bond Villain.

1. Flakk

Musk in a secret volcano base? Maybe, but only if he managed to talk SPECTRE the U.S. Government into footing the bill.

Zuck, on the other hand... who looks at him and DOESN'T see Elliot Carver?

1. MJI Silver badge

No I see an irritating twerp.

Carver is a young unwalnutty Turdoch

2. O RLY

MJI,

Musk has a sense of humor about it:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/588144086755999744?lang=en

"If this works, I'm treating myself to a volcano lair. It's time."

1. MJI Silver badge

I know, he has a good laugh about it.

Still don't think much of Zuckerberg!

6. Pascal Monett Silver badge

So The Zuck is setting up a "research" company

And he's trying to make it look like a charity when it is clearly a for-profit entity that has zero transparency and no obligation to report anything. Typical.

You'd have to be daft to give him money anyways. I'm sure he'll find some who will, though.

1. Teiwaz

Re: So The Zuck is setting up a "research" company

You'd have to be daft to give him money anyways. I'm sure he'll find some who will, though.

The way FB has it's creepy tendrils all over the net, you'd need to be pretty canny to just avoid contributing to the FB oligarchy in some way.

7. regregular

So, if /r/science has such a very strict policy, and I support their right to do so and enforce it, should they not rename AMA to AMA(sti)* or something? It IS kinda misleading...

* Ask Me Anything (sciencey, that is)

8. MJI Silver badge

What is the use of a Zuckerberg anyway?

Why compare him to Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos?

Both of those have achieved more.

Elon Musk is definately more intelligent.

Jeff Bezos has a much more usefull product.

1. Teiwaz

Re: What is the use of a Zuckerberg anyway?

Jeff Bezos has a much more usefull product.

Or so he claims.

9. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Windows

These are the people who will disappear the "faux news" for your reading pleasure

Oh Brave New World!

10. Florida1920
    Headmaster

Chan Zuckerberg Initiative

CZI?

More like Sleazy I.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like