back to article QEMU qontemplates qleanup of old qode

Open source hypervisor QEMU is contemplating a code cleanup. The project's developers have recently pointed out that “The deprecation of features in QEMU is totally adhoc currently, with no way for the user to get a list of what is deprecated in each release.” The project therefore made an effort to properly document …

1. Richard Lloyd

Oh no, not again...

Let's hope Yahoo doesn't buy up QEMU, then we'll get a qaqoqophany! of! qrummy! (and! not!) qomiq! sentences. Please, please stop this rubbish repeated char meme, El Reg or at least do it once a year. It stopped being funny, oh, about 8 years ago.

1. cbars Bronze badge

Re: Oh no, not again...

Disagree

It's more interesting this way, and its good to keep a bit of silly behaviour around as an adult, prevents you going mad.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Flakk
          Trollface

Re: Oh no, not again...

What does he know?

That people from Porlock are time-wasting buzz-kills?

2. karlkarl Silver badge

Here we go...

Basically they are going to remove support for older operating systems because "it doesn't make business / resources sense to maintain them".

Unfortunately that is the only reason I use Qemu. I am not interested in hooking it up with KVM and running it in a massive server farm, I just want to be able to run old copies of Windows to play games.

One of my last resorts is then bochs (which will do similar in about 5 years) and then.... Oh crap, I am left with Windows Store games... argh!!!

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Here we go...

Also those most affected may not know how to respond, or that there even is a consultation.

Like MS-Word feature changes since 2002.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So far the list of deprecated "features" seems to consist almost entirely of command-line options that have non-deprecated synonyms. If your main interest is in running old software you probably won't be affected. Usually old software does not require obscure hardware (to be simulated). You can usually run an ancient Windows on a standard modern machine, let alone a standard old machine. So who needs the non-standard old machine (to be simulated)?

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"I just want to be able to run old copies of Windows to play games."

VirtualBox no good for you?

3. Nuno trancoso

@People that use this for windows/dos desktop/games...

How about just not using it? VMWare has a free offer for Linux too and DosBox same thing. And lo and behold, both actually manage some pretty solid RTM's unlike some craptastic projects...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like