back to article Kaspersky axes antitrust complaints against Microsoft after Windows giant vows to play nice

Kaspersky Labs is dropping its antitrust complaints against Microsoft in Russia and Europe. The Russian antivirus biz had claimed the US software giant was unfairly promoting the use of Windows Defender over third-party security products. In November last year, Russia's Federal Antimonopoly Service probed a complaint by …

1. knarf

In Time

We will be free of the CRAPWARE that is called anti-virus.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In Time

Only when we are free from malware. I don't see that happening in my lifetime.

The only way around it is to require signed binaries, and even that isn't a guarantee (you can still be hacked, but you don't have to worry too much about viruses and worms at least so there's not much of a role for AV software)

1. Allan George Dyer
        Facepalm

@DougS "require signed binaries, and even that isn't a guarantee (you can still be hacked, but you don't have to worry too much about viruses and worms"

Unless you're a developer (some has to sign those binaries), or until someone adds a macro language to your favourite app, because of course everyone needs wordprocessor documents that are programs.

2. hplasm
      Gimp

We will be free of the CRAPWARE that is called Windows.

You're Welcome.

2. Dwarf

Microsoft still at their usual tricks then

Nothing changed in decades, think this fell into the Extinguish box of their normal Embrace, Extend, Extinguish strategy

Well done Kaspersky for the temporary win on the common sense. Just don't bet on it not happening "accidentally" again with another update in a couple of months time.

Think we all know that MS don't deserve any trust in this regard based on their continuous behaviour like this over many years.

3. Your alien overlord - fear me

What's the difference between this and companies selling Notepad replacements?

Does Microsoft's bundling of Notepad kill off all competition of Notepad replacements or do they exist (and sell) because they offer more functionality than Microsoft's offering?

What about games like Solitaire? Has Microsoft killed the 3rd party card games market? Don't think so.

Sounds like someone (mentioning no names) isn't selling much because their product is basically rubbish and they want to blame everyone apart from themselves.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I don't think you get what the story is about. It's not about blocking sales, it's about windows intentionally preventing other applications from working well, to take their business. Or maybe you would prefer if there were no competing products?

1. Mark 85

I think we've seen this before. Wlordperfect ran into this a couple decades ago with Win7 and "undocumented" features of the OS.

4. hellwig

Simple solution

Split up Microsoft, make Defender an individual company that has to interact with Windows in the exact same way ever other AV company has to.

Oh, what? The government tried that in the 90's with Internet Exploder? It didn't work?

Weird.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

No, seriously

Friends don't let friends install the hideous bloatware of Norton, Kaspersky etc. that simply open back-doors into the OS kernel with their DLL hacks and FUD marketing 'alerts'

6. Steve Aubrey

"Sheer coincidence"

El Reg, your nose is growing.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Get real everyone

MSFT is the only AV supplier than doesn't create profitable demand by having a 'black ops' unit that writes and releases malware into the wild.

1. Mark 85

Re: Get real everyone

citation please. I know we've all heard that but there's never been any proof. Yes, I know that Kaspersly became known due to finding viruses that no one else did and the rumors... but never any proof.

2. hplasm
      Gimp

Re: Get real everyone

MSFT is the only OS supplier than doesn't create profitable demand and writes and releases malware into the wild.

FTFY, Fanboi.

8. Son 1

Allow Russia??

As much as I don't particularly like Microsoft, I trust them implicitly over a bunch of demonic Russians. That will be the day I allow this country to put anything on my computer, never mind a program with access to everything going in and out.

In this case, it is Microsoft all the way!

1. MrDamage Silver badge

Re: Allow Russia??

I would rather trust a Russian company whose business plan is to find and close exploits, when compared to an American company whose business plan is to release exploitable products due to shitful coding, and placing greater import on bells and whistles instead of security and stability.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Because everyone should be allowed to apply lipstick to the pig.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like