back to article How can you kill that which will not die? Windows XP is back (sorta... OK, not really)

Windows 10 adoption keeps rising and Windows 8 usage continues to fall, StatCounter confirmed in its latest monthly worldwide traffic sniff to discern who's using which desktop operating system. Collectively, Microsoft's OSes are used by 84.48 per cent of the market; OS X took 11.3 per cent; Linux 1.79 per cent; Chrome OS 0.46 …

1. davidp231

Depends what they count an XP installation as - are we talking native XP (be it bare metal or within something like Virtualbox) or the XP mode offered to Win 7 Pro and up, since that comes with a full copy of XP.

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Linux 1.79 per cent (was 1.55 in Jan)

I told you back in January, this is the year of desktop Linux...

1. teknopaul

Re: Linux 1.79 per cent (was 1.55 in Jan)

did you include android in that stat?

1. Geoffrey W

RE: "did you include android in that stat?"

Do Penguins really want to claim that huge security hole as one of their own?

1. Not also known as SC
            Linux

Two Cthulhu references in one article - The main cosmic entity himself (itself?) in the byline and the penguins from the Mountains of Madness in the comments. I bet most people outside IT wouldn't think we were such a literary bunch. :-)

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Erm,what "security hole"? Given there are over 5 billion android devices, over 2 billion of them active, more than Windows, and yet nothing realworld, I really have no idea what you are on about..

Even the big noise like stagefright didn't ever amount to anything here in the real world..

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/15/google_stagefright_android_bug_zero_success/

Windows on the other hand...... That's a whole different story..

3. Mark 110

Android is only a security hole cos its popular. The desktop kernel has all the same vulnerabilities its just that no one gives a shit about exploiting it.

1. phuzz Silver badge
              Linux

Most Android devices are still using v3.18 of the Linux kernel (some are on 4.4), so an up to date desktop shouldn't have any of the same kernel flaws as your phone.

Instead it has new, and as yet undiscovered vulnerabilities ;)

Kernel bugs are only a small part the story on either though, user installed programs are generally a bigger risk on any platform.

4. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

And there is the problem with the linux community in a nutshell.

A linux variant that's actually used outside the geekspace? Disown it immediately, cast it out into darkness!

1. MyffyW Silver badge

Hardly, I'm sure plenty of penguinistas have an android phone or tablet (I certainly do).

But the only commonality between GNU/Linux and Android is the kernel.

Throw the tardy approach many manufacturers / carriers have to Android updates into the mix and you can see why there is a disconnect between attitudes to security in GNU/Linux and Android.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Devil

"did you include android in that stat"

probably not, because it would be considered a "mobile" OS and this was about desktop computing [pretty sure]. It's also consistent with what I've seen in the past.

And... the article said "FreeBSD nabbed 0 per cent of that tracked desktop traffic".

I didn't now they were tracking FBSD. But a lot of people like to 'anonymize' their browser self-identification with plugins etc. to limit tracking. So while I don't bother doing that [probably means "they" can track me] I also don't web surf to a lot of things that many people do, and when I do it, I've got NoScript and cookie blockers and things of that nature running.

(and when I need script for something, like maybe a digikey order - their shopping cart hates NoScript for some reason and I doubt they'll fix it - I do it from a VM running Linux, hosted by a FreeBSD box)

So yeah FBSD is getting low numbers, but there might be a very good reason as to why. I also have to wonder if SIMILAR reasons exist for *INFLATING* Win-10-nic's numbers...

And Linux's numbers may be artificially low, too...

[glad to see they're rising, though]

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: bob

Have you tried the EFF's panopticlick? Caring about privacy puts you in a minority and doing so effectively can make your browser close enough to unique that you can be tracked.

statcounter does not say which websites they monitor. If the did, a small number of penguins would do some ballot box stuffing. I assume the tracked websites show a blank page or a "we require javascript" page to anyone who does not click on at least a dozen adverts per day.

statcounter shows a clear prejudice against robots. Robots must make up a significant proportion of the internet by now. Can anyone who has failed a Turing test tell me ... are there adverts targeted to robots yet?

1. TonyJ

"...Hadn't seen panopticlick before - had to allow scripts several times and it still didn't complete the fingerprint section..."

Got this as my result:

"Yes! You have strong protection against Web tracking, though your software isn’t checking for Do Not Track policies."

1. DropBear

"your software isn’t checking for Do Not Track policies"

Not sure what that is supposed to mean, unless it's "you keep blocking even trackers that promise to honour DNT", in which case it's Perfectly Fine and Just The Way It Should Be. On an unrelated note, I just learned today that checking the DNT checkbox in Firefox ONLY APPLIES IT TO PRIVATE WINDOWS, and there's no setting to have it on at all times (unless you want to be in full "private browsing mode" all the time which ALSO means no history, no persistent cookies - ie. YOU can't "track" anything either) - WHAT THE F##K, you idiots?!?

2. Jonathan 27

The way they check is by measuring reported OS on web browser requests, so it doesn't differentiate between a VM and bare metal install.

P.S. "XP Mode" in Windows 7 is just a Hyper-V VM with Windows XP on it.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's just old XP copies...

.... fired up to install WannaCry patches...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What was the W7 share?

Windows = 84%

Windows 10 = 37%

Windows 8+8.1 = 11%

Windows XP = 5%

That leaves the best part of 32% shared between W7 and Vista.

1. Jonathan 27

The Windows OS shares are based on the percentage of the total Windows number, so they don't add up like that.

Windows 7 has 45.76% and Windows Vista 0.93%.

Windows 7 is still more popular than 10, despite Microsoft's heavy marketing offensive.

1. RudderLessIT

Symantics

"Windows 7 is still more popular than 10"

It's more popular... yes, but the context is (missing) important: Are people buying new machines with 10 and then laboriously removing & installing 7?

Or are people not wanting to spend the $ on upgrading.

Another relevant context is that a computer lives in an environment, that includes legacy tech that cannot be upgraded - this can be anything from SAP to a Zeiss microscope - so you can be a fan of Windows 10, and continue to support/implement 7.

1. Boothy

Re: Symantics

Also a lot of corporate machines around still with Win 7 desktop on.

Gone (for the most part) is the automatic replace/refresh after ~3 years, to a replace/refresh when it breaks.

If your 3+ year old laptop still works, good chance it's still on Win 7.

I also guess a lot of people who'd like an updated corp laptop, are holding out on a refresh, as they don't want to loose their Win 7, and end up being put on 8 or 10!

4. 45RPM Silver badge

It seems like a rather anachronistic way of measuring Operating System market share - especially now that most internet use is on mobile devices (tablets and smartphones). I'll bet if the analysis included the likes of Android and iOS you'd see that Android has by far the largest market share. I'd further guess that Windows and iOS have roughly the same share of the market.

So, do you have these (I suspect more representative) figures el Reg?

1. 1Rafayal

If the Reg was interested in showing the stats for mobile devices then I am sure they would have shown them instead of these operating systems.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

I'm sure El Reg are interested, but if they split them up they get double or even triple the eyeballs!

Huzzah, beers all round.

2. Jonathan 27

It does, go read the source. It has all the market share. Android is number 1 overall, followed by Windows, then iOS.

5. G2
    Mushroom

april 2019 and the pink elephant in the room that nobody wants to talk about.

XP won't die until april 2019 when POSREADY support ends.

at work we're still using XP on 80% of the systems because the beancounters see there is still a way to get updates for it, even without support, and won't accept to scrap it out of the asset inventory while it can still be updated.

Microsoft needs to put their boot down HARD on the OS detection and trash this frankenstein zombie OS, even if they have to sneak in every update a FORCED bluescreen when the POSREADY registry patch is detected on a regular XP OS. THAT will light the proper fire under the beancounters' asses.

(selected a fire icon to match)

1. jtaylor

Re: april 2019 and the pink elephant in the room that nobody wants to talk about.

It sounds like your company lacks a desktop roadmap and that management doesn't consider desktop support to be a priority.

I understand why you would want to outsource those decisions. Maybe there's a less drastic way to do so.

Edit to add: Assets depreciate on a schedule. When the value of an asset reaches zero, it is written off (it may still be used, but it has no book value). If those Windows XP licenses aren't fully depreciated by now, I wonder about the accounting practices.

1. G2

Re: april 2019 and the pink elephant in the room that nobody wants to talk about.

in my case "management" = central government + prime minister above them. They don't move their political asses unless there's a proper fire under them.

edit: oh, and accounting practices say that we are forbidden to trash ANY licenses... but they don't think of licenses in terms of software, more like IP rights.

2. bombastic bob Silver badge
        Devil

"Assets depreciate on a schedule"

this is useful when you want to spread the cost over several years. I see no value in it, though [as I don't spend that much on such things] and just expense things like computer hardware, software, OSs ,whatever (then, they have NO book value and I just use them). Actually it turns out that annual MSDN renewal at $900/year has been the most expensive of all of it... then again the business consists of "just me" and so depreciation is probably not necessary anyway.

I've never sold a computer. They always run until they break, or are so obsolete (like a 486) that I couldn't pay someone to take them.

[I'm also considering ABANDONING the MSDN subscription, even though I've had it since the 90's. Keeping up with what MS is doing is nothing less than frustration and disappointment. Might as well save the $ and flush them completely...]

2. Jonathan 27

Those POS systems are probably not included in these numbers. Not unless they're accessing the public websites these numbers are pulled from.

1. G2

you're thinking POS ATMs or such... i'm talking about regular XP desktop with POS patches - different sides of the same fish. They even have Office 2003 installed and some of them even have Firefox + LibreOffice and are used for internet access.

3. bombastic bob Silver badge
      Thumb Down

"Microsoft needs to put their boot down HARD on the OS detection"

I was interested in what you had to say until you said THAT.

Micro-shaft has ALREADY done the "boot down HARD" thing. Remember GWX? Also remember how much it PISSED! EVERYONE! OFF! when they kept JAMMING! IT! UP! OUR! DOWN! OUR! THROATS!!

So putting on their JACK BOOTS and GRINDING THE XP _CUSTOMERS_ INTO THE GROUND is only going to create even MORE anger, hopefully to the point of REBELLION (i.e. "Let's do Linux!" or BSD).

Anyway, icon obvious.

1. G2

well, ok... a bluescreen might be too much, but a mandatory nag message at every logon that covers half the screen and you have to wait at least 30 seconds for it to disappear would still be useful to make the beancounters see the light and dump XP/Office 2003.

2. wallaby
        Facepalm

I knew after one rather semi well argued post Bob just couldn't help himself - YAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!

And so the rants continue

6. detritus

On the subject - can anyone here point me in the direction of a trustworthy source for XP SPs 1 & 2 (32-bit)?

I've recently installed XP (on an air-gapped machine!) as a machine controller, but some of my more contemporary software refuses to install without SP2...

...the trouble is, I have other [more critical] software that refuses to work under SP3, which is comparatively easy to come by.

Yaay?

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Why don't you just install Linux on the machine, and have two VM instances of XP? One with SP2 and the other with SP3?

As for trustworthy sources, it might be worth trying to find a "friend" who has access to Volume Licensing. I notice that they have XP versions with and without the service packs.

1. detritus

Thanks for the response, wolfetone, but that wouldn't solve my situation and would merely complicate usage for my very [very] non-techie partner in this endeavour!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Why don't you just install Linux on the machine, and have two VM instances of XP? One with SP2 and the other with SP3?"

Because (and here's the thing) HE DIDNT ASK FOR LINUX HE ASKED FOR XP SP's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Because (and here's the thing) HE DIDNT ASK FOR LINUX HE ASKED FOR XP SP's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Don't be a prick all your life.

1. wallaby

To me, the pricks are the ones who when you say you want something go suggesting something different. When someone asks advice you either a) help or b) keep out of it

Simples :)

I did help.

"I've recently installed XP (on an air-gapped machine!) as a machine controller, but some of my more contemporary software refuses to install without SP2..."

There's the first problem.

"...the trouble is, I have other [more critical] software that refuses to work under SP3, which is comparatively easy to come by."

There's the second.

Suggesting they get Linux and builds two VM's, one with SP2 and SP3 was to help them balance the issues they have with software refusing to work on SP3 or SP2. Never at any point did I say fuck XP and get Linux period. Plus, I did suggest they might take advantage of someone with volume licensing so they could obtain the service packs.

It turns out, however, the OP's use case meant this wouldn't work due to the users involed (which they didn't mention in the original post).

But because there are a group of dinosaurs who still see Linux as a cancer they get all offended when Linux is mentioned. Some are more polite than others about it however.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

I use Linux every day, and at no point did I suggest it was a cancer or anything similar which is more than can be said about SOME of the Linux community's attitude towards Windows.

In the past when I've asked questions about running Windows on Linux in a VM I have been derided by said community. As I've always maintained in posts on here, every O\S has its place and I would NEVER slag one O\S off over another.

That said, when someone asks a direct question as was done on here, Ill happily answer - not offer alternatives unless someone asks for them.

"Some are more polite than others about it however"

Polite ????????? - weren't you the one who called me a prick first !!!

"Polite ????????? - weren't you the one who called me a prick first !!!"

I never said I was polite.

2. G2

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=xp%20service%20pack%202

1. detritus

You absolute beauty, G2 - bookmarked and downloading now!

As far as I could tell prior, MS only offered SP3 and SP2 64-bit, neither of which were of any use with my slightly clumsy set up.

Thank you so much!

x

1. Steve Kerr

The 64bit versions were because XP64 was actually Windows Server 2003 with all the servery bits removed. I spent days going round and round in circles trying to get updated service packs and it kept taking me to the Windows 2003 server page before I then discovered what it really was.

I had it (still got the install disk somewhere) because having a 64bit machine meant I should have a 64bit OS, silly me.

Who knew the traumas that would cause over the years as various bits of software said I wasn't running Windwos when I went to install them. Still, on a positive note, viruses didn't work either :)

It was stable though, I give it that.

2. jtaylor

Splendid! Thanks G2.

3. g00se
      Thumb Up

SPs

I seem to have SP2 and 3 for XP. http://technojeeves.com

Trustworthy? If you know the checksums then trust isn't a biggie ;)

7. itzman
    Paris Hilton

How can a free operating system...

have a 'market share'?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How can a free operating system...

A good question and I think win X will grow its 'share' since most people can't buy a new computer without it.

Your average computer user only uses the OS that is on the computer when they bought it (or had it foisted on them). The question then becomes what exactly do these stats show or is it just buttering up MS?

2. teknopaul

because zero is a number.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

"You are technically correct. Which is the best kind of correct."

4. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

statcounter counts market share by unique-ish website access from probably humans. If you go by cost to install then for a while Microsoft had negative market share because the bribes for crapware were higher than the cost of the license.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

FreeBSD

"Poor old FreeBSD nabbed 0 per cent of that tracked desktop traffic"

DUH, thats because freeBSD is mainly used as a server OS. While you're busy counting the desktops people are browsing from, many of the websites people are actually browsing to are running on FreeBSD.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: FreeBSD

I use it as a desktop. I was wondering how the stats are collected. Will having NoScript/UBlock/Ghostery etc affect whether a PC is counted or not? Generally I only unblock the bare essentials to get a site to work or move on somewhere else. Maybe Statcounter doesn't see me. I'd bet that as a proportion of users per OS, *nix users are far more likely to block scripts and cookies.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kiosk Appliances

The analysis seems to be based on browsing habits, so ignores the still significant numbers of dumb "kiosk" machines running XP. My money says that these won't go away for years to come.

10. 1Rafayal

Isnt OS X technically a BSD?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> Isnt OS X technically a BSD?

OSX kernel is Darwin based on Mach.

They have parts of FreeBSD kernel mixed in, some FreeBSD user land mixed up with a lot of Linux user land. Lots of it aging out now that they have no strong Unix type leads inhouse.

So, basicly a big mutt that is helped considerably by their mobile footprint.

1. Jonathan 27

I'd liken it to a big shiny stone tower built on top of a slowly rotting wooden foundation.

1. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Re: shiny stone tower

How about a gilded prison that sells pricey day-release passes and charges an exorbitant access tax on the local limo hire companies.

2. Tim99 Silver badge

@AC - They have parts of FreeBSD kernel mixed in, some FreeBSD user land mixed up with a lot of Linux user land. Lots of it aging out now that they have no strong Unix type leads inhouse.

Really? Citation please. Most Linux stuff that is out there for MacOS needs MacPorts, Homebrew, Fink, etc., to be installed. I don't know very many Mac punters who would install them.

I like liked Linux (Well I did, until Poettering and the RedHat vandals were allowed to screw it over) and have used UNIX based OSs extensively since the early 1980s. If you exclude small amounts of code from things like SELinux via TrustedBSD/SEDarwin, I can't think of too much that came from Linux vs. NeXTSTEP / OPENSTEP.

MacOS is a UNIX Certified Product (unlike the myriad of Linux dists) so that, at least, is a box than can be ticked by the corporate types - I think Apple will spend the necessary money on talent to keep that.

For people who care about this, and have good eyesight/access to an A3 printer Éric Lévénez has a good UNIX timeline here that shows how complex and inter-related the history of UNIX and Linux is.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Statcounter?

That's been blocked in my firewall for ... oh, at least 10 years.

It was blocked at my last employer's firewall.

There are useful stats and crap. Guess which one I think this is in.

Besides, no one uses Apple Computers any more now do they? Showing > 10% can't be true. Shouldn't that be < 1% :wink:

12. Mike Dimmick

NetMarketShare free OS-by-version data

Netmarketshare's OS-by-version data is available freely. In the top bar, under 'Market share reports', hover over 'Operating Systems' and click 'Desktop share by version' or 'Desktop trend by version'.

13. Ken Hagan Gold badge

How big is this survey?

"Windows 98 and Windows 2000 remained the same at .01 per cent."

Is that one over-zealous web developer who fires up two really old VMs once a month just to tick a "compatibililty" box on a contract?

14. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Who still uses win2k and win98?

And for what purpose?

1. davidp231

Win2k - for a decent version of Windows that doesn't need activiation

Win98 - for going really retro for games and maybe some applications.

2. Richard 12 Silver badge

Win98 for games

There are a lot of really great games that fall into the black hole of Win95/98.

They won't run in dosbox, or under WinXP (or newer).

It means most people have no legal way to run them at all as you can't get a Win98 licence anymore. Though MS may not care...

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

I have some legacy engineering software that I use maybe once or twice a year that runs in a DOS box under Win98 on a 20 year old Tosiba Satellite laptop that still has a centronics port for the dongle.

It just works and just isn't worth the effort to change anything. The software will probably reach EOL next year due to upcoming changes in codes/regulations; I'll buy a current software package and put that on my regular desktop box. At that point I will have gotten 20 years of use out of the old setup - not a bad milage, I'd say.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Who still uses win2k and win98?

And for what purpose?"

We still use DOS, Win 3.1, Win 95, 98, 2000, NT4, XP

The pcs running them are attached to large laboratory instruments which more modern software isn't made for any more. Its either keep this old kit running or spend sometimes up to £500k on new instruments.

1. DropBear

I'm quite curious how exactly "gaming" is supposed to work on win98, considering unless you still have some ancient hardware your current graphics card won't have drivers for it (mine doesn't even have drivers for XP!), and not having manufacturer drivers is not an annoyance but a _showstopper_ - even opening / dragging a window will make you want to claw out your eyes with the default windows driver, even on blazing-fast hardware...

1. davidp231

How gaming is to work...

By building an appropriate rig of course, using the necessary kit to run the games you intend to play. For example:

Top end Pentium II (or III) or AMD equivalent

64MB RAM (since Win9x doesn't play very well with more than that)

Decent AGP Graphics card (easy enough to source drivers, and you may even have an old driver CD (remember those?) with appropriate drivers on

PCI Soundcard

80GB IDE HDD (should be more than enough, and FAT32 will be happy with it without faffing about.

2. WolfFan Silver badge

Don't play games which depend on high-end graphics. Harpoon doesn't give a damn about your graphics, so long as it's at least 800x600 256 colors. Sinking Imperialist aircraft carriers doesn't require pretty graphics, just good aim and proper tactics.

3. barbara.hudson

A lot of the install CDs for games that run under Win9x come with various updates for redistributables, and as for the video drivers, on today's fast machines you don't need specialized optimized drivers.

5. WolfFan Silver badge

Some of us still run Win98 in a VM to play The Greatest Game Ever(tm): http://www.mobygames.com/game/harpoon-classic-97

I just love playing Red and sending a regiment or two of Backfires to crush the Imperialist warmongers, with a few Oscars and Victors to clean up afterwards. The Red Banner Northern Fleet owns the Atlantic! Well, owned the Atlantic. That cheap bastard Yeltsin cut off the money supply and Northern Fleet hasn't been the same since. Pony-boy Putin talks a good game, but it seems he only likes big ships (can you say 'size queen'? Knew you could) and the money's still not there. Bah. Humbug.

15. mgbrown

I wonder how the total size of the market has changed?

These stats are always given as a % of some unknown total. So Android has a bigger percentage and Windows a smaller percentage, but that doesn't necessarily mean that there are less Windows users. It may just mean that the market grew and most the new users chose Android.

1. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: I wonder how the total size of the market has changed?

There's no exact figures, we presume, because it's taken from SC's traffic sensors on about 2.5m websites. It's good for measuring, with a suitable pinch of salt, market balances rather than exact numbers of systems in use.

C.

16. Geoffrey W
    Devil

What is dead may never die

17. earl grey
    Pint

It's hard to know from your headline

If i should upvote you for Black Dahlia or Lovecraft. In either event; have one.

18. ratfox
    Windows

My father is still on XP. People he knows who changed to 10 warned him to stay away, "because everything is different".

I told him to make sure he backups often, on a NAS and on Google Drive.

1. DropBear

Same here. The hardware is too old for W7 (heck, it's really too old even for XP) but hey Facebook works, Youtube works, photos are backed up, and at this point any attempt to "relocate" to another machine would do more damage than anything out there possibly could, even if expenses wouldn't be an issue (they are)...

19. Andy Non Silver badge

The OS that won't die

I've still got an XP desktop computer that I use occasionally with some old software. The computer just refuses to die and faithfully boots up every time it's needed. It hasn't seen the internet for donkey's years as that would almost certainly be the death of it (It last saw the Internet via it's internal 56k dial-up modem). At least it does have a couple of those new fangled things called USB ports. I wonder how many more of these ancient XP computers are still in use and not included in the stats?

20. Novex

I just did a fresh install of XP...

...albeit in a VM on LM. What was great was that a device that I can't get a Linux driver for worked with the pass through in VB such that XP sees it and can install the Windows driver for it! :D

21. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Well, you know what they say.

Only the good die young.

22. Mike 137 Silver badge

"Windows 10 continues to win converts"

Only in the sense that the Vikings 'converted' people - "convert or die now".

Win 10 is now pretty much all you can get on new equipment, so it's not actually a case of 'conversion' but compulsion.

Everything from MS after Win 7 has been crap if you're trying to do real work on your computer. They seem to view the market as exclusively made up of media consumers, but some of us have to create the media in the first place, and for that we need simple, intuitive, configurable and customisable tools with presentation that complies with the well established principles of good human-machine interface design so we can get on with the job rather than fighting with the tools. Instead we get the opposite in every material respect. The rot started with the Ribbon and fixed colour scheme options in Office - suddenly, your familiar and preferred system presentation was ignored by Office because nanny knew better, and "where the hell is that menu item?" - and it's gone on from there.

Shortly we will be sold nothing but dumb terminals controlled entirely from Redmond, and every day they will look and work differently than the day before because some juvenile smartass in the US has had a 'bright idea'. And let's not even start talking about software quality...

1. 1Rafayal

Re: "Windows 10 continues to win converts"

You are assuming that Microsoft will dominate the OS landscape in its totality.

This isnt the case and as long as people are given the choice of OS, will never be the case.

23. Wolfclaw

NHS just switched on another bunch of infected XP machines ?

24. kleva

What no NT4?

XP is too new for some boxes, still have a NT4 Server grinding away in a back office that does it's job. Every attempt to upgrade the OS has crapped out a specific app critical to business operation. And it makes a fairly easy file share location - he he.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like