back to article 'App DDoS bombs' that slam into expensive APIs worry Netflix

Netflix has identified denial of service threat to microservices architectures that it's labelled “application DDoS”. Traditional DDoS attacks flood networks with bogus traffic so that infrastructure runs out of resources to serve legitimate users. Netflix characterises an application DDoS attack as one in which attackers “ …

1. frank ly

Repulsive attraction

I'm fascinated by the magnets. What are they for?!

1. GrumpenKraut
      Boffin

Re: Repulsive attraction

To repel diamagnetic grizzlies.

2. breakfast Silver badge

Re: Repulsive attraction

And how do they even work? Can we get some first rate science juggalos on this?

2. john.jones.name

monkeys

netflix should stick to the monkeys...

realistically this is a nice project but honestly it should be folded into chaos monkey project as a plugin/something they are correct WAF do not protect things as they should...

3. streaky

Uhm..

Figured this one out have they? Glad Netflix told us this was a thing.. Oh wait it's not 1998 and we already know..

1. Ben Tasker

Re: Uhm..

Glad I'm not the only one who thought this, and presumably not the only one who took slight umbrage at the quotes arpund the term application DDOS as if Netflix had coined a new term.

It's great they've released a tool to help, but the attack vector is far from new and a sane developer should already be considering it when designing a new system. If anything, it's a little worrying that Netflix seem not to have thought about it from the outset. Sometimes it's inavoidable, but the tone of the article does make it sound like it came across as a slight surprise.

It does sound like their performance testing may have been limited to using response times as a metric rather than doing proper scalability focused testing.

4. Inachu

I blame anyone who still creates windows hooks should be rotting in a hot steamy place called hell.

5. Stevie

Bah!

Our programmers-sorry-developers introduce quite enough chaos in the microstructure thank you very much.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like