back to article Amazon admits flouting sanctions by flogging consumer tat to Iran

Amazon has sold around $30,000 worth of consumer tat over a period of six years to several accounts that may have been clicking on the basket in service of Iran - in possible violation of US-imposed sanctions against that country. In its latest US Security and Exchange Commissions filing (PDF), Amazon noted that between …

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Trollface

Wow these Galactic Empire sanctions are really serious!

Also reminder that any operation performed in dollar falls under the purview of US american courts, so you better not trade in dollar anywhere anytime lest you want to look at a travel interdiction, extradition order or light droning ("executing anywhere anytime", a diplomacy push by President Bushbama)

1. big_D Silver badge

Re: Wow these Galactic Empire sanctions are really serious!

It has nothing to do with dollars.

And if any of them are EU citizens, then they have a good chance of suing Amazon Europe for sharing their personal information with Amazon US / the US Government without their permission...

2. Paratrooping Parrot

I thought the sanctions were lifted

Didn't the sanctions against Iran finish in January last year?

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/17/world/middleeast/iran-sanctions-lifted-nuclear-deal.html

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Throatwobbler Mangrove

Re: I thought the sanctions were lifted

The nuclear-related sanctions were suspended. The terrorism sanctions remain in place, as do the sanctions against named individuals.

3. Youngone Silver badge

Damned if you do...

I feel sorry for Iran.

If they try to develop nukes, they face sanctions, but if they don't they run the same risks Iraq and Libya did.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Damned if you do...

WWTUDITWI? (What Would The US Do If They Were Iran?)

I do wonder how they manage software security updates.

4. Dr Scrum Master

Red Logo

The last time I talked to prospective customers in Iran I mentioned that we used a certain database for our software. That didn't seem to bother them...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aren't sanctions wonderful!

When Russia opened up the sheer amount of Computer kit that came our of the woodwork was astonishing. We fould literally hundreds of DEC PDP-11 and VAX systems all over the place.

Yes, there were sanctions in place but... you get to know a man who knows a man who has a brother who... etc.

Not all of it was Stolen either. One system was supposed to be in Brazil turned up in Baikonour

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Aren't sanctions wonderful!

Yup Coca-Cola is pretty easy to buy in Cuba, despite the sanctions. And most of the computers I saw were running Windows.

6. Dave 125

Automotive goods?

What, like batteries, for Haw....er...cars?

Let's hope Bezos gets strung up more than Chris Tappin was.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like