back to article Sysadmin Day 2017: Still time to get the beers in

It's that time of year again, dear readers: it's Sysadmin Day 2017. Today is that one day a year where employers and coworkers are expected to give a token acknowledgement of the trials and tribulations of their overworked IT staffs and usually fail to do so. We here at The Register, however, have not forgotten you. Today's …

1. Alister

I was wondering where your coverage was. I thought for a terrible moment that you'd forgotten!

1. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge
      Pint

I'd have preferred a bit more warning , given that it usually takes about 2 months of negotiations regarding on-call , holidays , pay day etc to get these boys into the pub, it probably wouldnt have helped though.

At least (coincidentally) I'm finishing early today :))

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Only me!
    Pint

Why have this on a quite day, when I can actually get something done?

Great ... why do we have this day on one of the quietest days in the office over the summer....about the only day where you can get work done!!!!

Anyway, I am sure they will understand .... pub o'clock....count me in

1. macjules

Re: Why have this on a quite day, when I can actually get something done?

Made it through to 4pm, Got to the kitchen to dump various plates, cups etc and ...

So, for my home computer… How do I…...?

The pub has never beckoned more strongly ...

4. Ben1892

Too late, you won't get many replies now, it's after 12pm and there's a P1 incident in the Dog and Duck across the road that's occupying all attention.

Seriously, I'm sitting in an empty office ( holiday silly-season) and all is well, there is no better time to hit the local boozer - just there'll be nobody there either :)

5. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

I overdosed on some samoosas and koeksisters *burps*

6. psychonaut

crying into my lunch

just cooked myself pig 3 ways with beans, eggs, and fried bread.

sat there on my own, with the grease mingling with tears flowing from my sobbing face.

7. disgruntled yank

And I know just the band to provide the music

https://www.datarecoveryproject.com/

8. Mr Sceptical
    Pint

It's quiet here...

...is everyone over at the Full English breakfast debate comments??

Anyway, Happy Sysadmin Day everyone!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sitting here waiting for the Friday afternoon grenade to arrive...

...knowing I'll be working (unpaid, natch) 8h / day over the weekend -- when I'm not washing and ironing my fucking uniform for the week ahead -- even if Wikileaks or ShadowBrokers decide not to wreck the weekend in the few hours,.. this gave me a warm glow:

A little bit of recognition from others can make the world seem less dark. Knowing that we're appreciated and feeling like we're useful and helpful can keep us grounded. But as important as external validation is, we all need a little self love from time to time.

Don't be afraid to take a few moments for yourself. Make this year's sysadmin day an excuse to look after your own needs, indulge yourself, or give yourself permission to do something you really want.

Yes, there's nothing quite like the fulfillment, consolation and joie de vivre that a quick sordid Cheesman brings to make up for the rest of what others laughingly call my life*. Luckily inflation's now eroded my pay to the point I can't afford to do anything more exciting that read a book and read some research whitepapers over a couple of bottles of beer in the evening anyway, so what else could I do?

Never mind, you say, it's early days in your career, you'll get promotion and a rise some day...

Reader, I am almost 50.

* what I call it isn't suitable for a family publication like El Reg

1. Nolveys
      Windows

Re: Sitting here waiting for the Friday afternoon grenade to arrive...

A little bit of recognition from others can make the world seem less dark.

When I do an extra good job they spit on me with regular spit instead of the spit you have to hack up.

Logz.io says 70% of IT workers are risking burnout.

I'm lucky to be in the 30%. I burnt out about 10 years ago.

10. John 104
    WTF?

Seriously?

DevOps made developers into sysadmins

Don't even dare to put developers into the sysadmin bucket. Some have a clue as to what it takes to install, configure, and maintain infrastructure. Most do not. So please, don't cheapen our work any more by saying that.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: Seriously?

Looks like someone never discovered composable workloads or composable infrastructure. But Happy Sysamin Day anyways.

1. John 104

Trevor, we don't all live in a dream world.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

@John 104 Of course not. Though you are demonstrating that far too many of us cling, terrified, to the past.

2. Robert Moore
      Mushroom

Don't even dare to put developers into the sysadmin bucket. Some have a clue as to what it takes to install, configure, and maintain infrastructure. Most do not. So please, don't cheapen our work any more by saying that.

Exactly this. When you make developers do sysadmin work you end up with networks and infrastructure the likes of which I have spent most of my career cleaning up:

Poorly or undocumented installs.

Critical services running on someones laptop,

Root logins enabled.

Cabling to cause nightmares.

Servers installed on an old desktop stuffed under a desk.

No centralised user authentication.

Crap P@55w0rd5 for privileged users on servers.

Forgotten servers.

Lost servers.

No virtualisation.

No backups.

Unauthorised/unsecured Wifi access points.

Shared passwords.

Active user accounts for people who left years ago.

Passwords stored in internet accessible wiki.

Too many others to mention.

1. blackjacksys

Oh no, do go on...

11. John Crisp

Dream <on>

<brrrrring>

Ahhh I seee some bastard is awake then. I seem to have a problem with my computer....

Did you know it's sysadmin day?

Look don't give me that shit. I have this problem...

And it is the one day a year you should be nice to me?

Like I care. I need this report printed.... you people are all the same moaning and whining and needing your egos stroked and never fixing stuff....

Oh dear. Your 10p will be at reception where I'll leave it on my way to the pub. Please use your call wisely.

<click>... <slurp>

</on>

:-)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Public Holiday

Sysadmin day is a public holiday here in Darwin.

13. System Lord

Genuine Satisfaction

Unfortunately, it is not Sysadmin Day Or Else. Sort of an engineer's bend on Trick Or Treat. But wow, wouldn't THAT be great!

14. dnicholas

If you're working hard in IT, you're doing it wrong

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon