back to article Got bot? How to put it to work with Microsoft's Cortana Skills

Microsoft made a big deal of Cortana skills at its Build developer conference earlier this year – the business of creating voice interactions with users via the digital assistant built into Windows 10 and also available for iOS and Android. Why does the company consider this strategic? The answer was given by a presenter at …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't want no stinking Cortana, kill it as per flash.

Do you understand this Cortana ?

Fuck-off.

1. RyokuMas
      Stop

Looks like voice-driven input is the way things are going, so we're going to have to embrace stinking Cortana... and Siri, Alexa, whatever Google's one calls itself and any other stinkers out there...

... or is this "because it's Microsoft"?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>or is this "because it's Microsoft"?

Nope, it's because I have no need of it on a desktop but can't properly get rid of it without resorting to dirty hacks that risk instability.

>voice-driven input

Have fun with command line syntax on that one.

Call me old fashioned but I can do things far faster with a KB and mouse without the need for resource stealing. I want an off button for Cortana that means off, no services loaded.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can you imagine

Working in an office full of people muttering, then talking, then shouting at their PCs? Its bad enough in a busy time with work colleagues all on the phone at the same time.

Can you imagine life at home with family and friends muttering, then talking, then shouting at their phones PCs/TVs, radios etc?

Its exactly the kind of thing the pointy Headed Manager and the HR droids would think is fantastic, along with Yammer, Tibber, in-house "social networking" in general and performance Reviews with mandatory but completely arbitrary Goal Setting and Performance Objectives, touchy-feely HR communications that make it obvious they give not a toss.

I now want to kill something

3. handleoclast

Cortana skills

I hoped this article was going to teach us the skills of excising Cortana, root and branch, from our computers. That would be a skill of great value.

1. Updraft102

Re: Cortana skills

Anyone remember those Infocom text adventure games in the 8-bit days? I remember at least one of them that if you typed 'kill,' it would respond with (self), then have your character do exactly what it sounds like.

Can we tell Cortana to kill? (self), I mean.

Edit: Yes, you too, Siri, Alexa, and OK Google. Off with the lot of you.

4. Christopher Reeve's Horse

Skills

Weren't there recently a bunch of security concerns regarding the 'skills' available on Amazon's Alexa? What makes you think I'd be more inclined to trust Microsoft?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/07/13/amazon_alexa_conversations/

5. adnim

mmm

"Microsoft claims “145 million monthly active users” for Cortana."

Would that be 145 million users that don't know how to switch it off?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Monetize the rage!

El Reg should develop a Cortana Skill that hates on MSFT 24/7. I'm sure it would get a bajillion downloads.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like