back to article Alphabet takes Euro antitrust fine in stride, spooks investors with rising Google ad costs

Google parent company Alphabet says that its revenues in the past three months have grown by 21 per cent – while the European Commission's $2.7bn fine took a big bite out of its net income. The Mountain View ads giant pointed out that its non-ad businesses, including Google Cloud, also performed well in its second quarter of …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Tim99 Silver badge
      Big Brother

Re: Google is in trouble

Maybe the European Commission could hit them with a large fine every quarter, until they get the message? I believe that the fine is limited to only 10% of the overall annual turnover of the company, but that should get their attention.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The word was an animal or plant indigenous to a place

Capybara?

C'mon, this shit is important!!!!

3. inmypjs Silver badge

"Apparently Chrome is malicious software."

Well it is isn't it?

4. Tigra 07
      Black Helicopters

"and another totally legitimate and politically neutral word that I am worried about posting"

Any clues as to what this word is?

I came here for Google talk, but now i'm intrigued and want to know this word...

2. Schultz
    Go

Fines instead of taxes ... (for Apple, Google, banks, ...)

I guess it's a way to collect public dues while the governments try to figure out how to work the taxation of international companies. Its a bit arbitrary though.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google Ads Not Seen By These Eyes

Have been experimenting with using Bing. Honestly, I can't say that it's worse than Google, especially nowadays. I haven't bothered switching back.

I'm not sure that Bing has got better, but I was perceiving Google to have become worse. Every time that I'm finding a search in Bing not producing the results I want, I'm finding that Google is rubbish with too.

I'm convinced that if Google dropped the whole ad thing their search would become better. If that happened they'd have to charge money for their services, but I think it might be worth it. I'm fed up of ads dominating everything that's done online.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Google Ads Not Seen By These Eyes

Online Ads? Are they still a thing? Adblock and Duckduckgo.

2. inmypjs Silver badge

"using Bing"

So out of the fire and into the frying pan then.

3. dave 81
      Meh

Google has become worse. Frequently when searching for a term, it points me to pages which do not have that term on them anywhere. Utterly maddening. Duckduckgo has become my second option for almost everything except when searching Microsoft related problems, when BING surprisingly gets the good results.

1. GrumpenKraut
        Boffin

> points me to pages which do not have that term on them anywhere.

Some sites serve pages totally different to what you get to crawlers. So not the search engines fault.

One (east German) company did that and was quite successful attracting visitors who searched for vile racism.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google-free

I have gone mostly google-free. I switched from gmail to my own hosted email, threw away my Android phone for Sailfish and I use Duckduckgo for searching.

Life is good without the Google.

5. Slow Dog
    Alert

Beware of advertisers wearing search clothes...

I do not see any ads from anyone not on a whitelist, and that list is blank. When ad slingers stop being the rude shitasses that they are, I will stop blocking them. Then I woke up...

I have said this before and I will say it again. A product that is worth having does not need an annoying ad to sell it. Actually, the ad causes the opposite effect, all but guaranteeing a boycott of said product.

If I was a marketer, the first thing I would want to know is how many actual human eyeballs gandered at my wares. The second thing I would be interested in is how many of those folks bought said product as a result of the ad being viewed by them.

I would not be shocked to know that most of my hard work was being blocked because some asshat in the production squad thought it might generate brisk sales if they pestered the absolute shit out of all who saw the ad, resulting in sales tanking.

A case in point: An ad for Hershey's chocolate is five to ten seconds long, about the average attention span of a brain dead failbuckian on a fondleslab. The product enjoys record sales every year.

An ad for that power stepping shoe insert is at least five minutes long, if it is not on one of those hour long infomercial crap shows. The product is a scam, though. It's makers are slick enough to get around the regs.

Do you see a pattern? If it looks like a turd, smells like a turd, etc., it really is a turd. Believe it and quit fooling yourself. It ain't free, and the shipping charges are hidden. Turn the damn thing off already and go do something productive with your life.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like