back to article Global Switch suffers uptime blips at London Docklands DC

Irritated customers of data centre operators Global Switch are complaining about repeated power outages at the firm’s London Docklands data centre. Sources tell The Register that the Global Switch 2 data centre has had an outage twice in two weeks, something which appears to be borne out by reports from other news sites. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wondered how long it'd take for the reg to get wind of this.

Turns out it took a long time.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not just the 10th floor

Having cabs on a floor other than the 10th - I can confirm it affects more than just the 10th floor.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not just the 10th floor

I can second that

3. Alister

They're just testing the extension to the great (fire)wall of China...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Note that in August/September last year they had similar issue as well, with 2 outages in about 2 weeks period. They had an audit conducted by Schneider Electric with findings they claimed to have been fixed.

As per my organisation 4 outages in 9 months is too much and getting us in to trouble with our customers. We have decided to migrate as much services we can to one of the other London DCs, we stopped trusting this site.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yesterdays outage RFO:

At approx 15:30, the LON E building at Global Switch was affected by an external event on the National Grid causing an emergency mode start on power station H.

During emergency mode, the DRUPS failed to support the load and went off line resulting in a break to customer A and B supply.

Full RFO to follow.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Full RFO to follow."

RCA?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"RCA?"

Copy and paste....

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

Re: RCA

RCA == Regular Covering of Arses.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: RCA

RCA == Righteous Covering their Arses.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Outage Report

We did a full report on the outages of last year, requested by a client of theirs. We found fundamental issues with their maintenance regime and I wouldn't be surprised if they've been unable to fix them because that would need a complete change of governance. Apparently, no other auditor picked them up, which is concerning!

5. Steve Cooper

According to a tweet I read earlier they don't even have proper dual site power feeds. Luckily for us, our WAN provider was able to tolerate the Global Switch failure with hardly any issues.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We haven't noticed any outages... but I hear that our account manager was rather busy yesterday dealing with some sort of "major incident".

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Not just the 10th floor

I can third that

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

6th floor has also been down twice in the last week....

Last update was:

Power Station H remains on Utility Mains providing unconditioned power, Engineers continue to work on completing repairs and testing post the bearing replacement. Once this unit is ready to be brought online thus enabling N+1 with the power station Global Switch will look to revert to normal mode and supply conditioned power. Global Switch have also indicated a further DRUPS unit is being removed from site and sent to a UK Engineering firm for repairs and once re-introduced this will enable N+2.

That's right - currently unconditioned mains power is running 1 half of the site ... seriously - WTF .. !!!

Anon - obviously ....

9. Mr Blobby's Mother
    FAIL

We removed all our equipment in April after 3 power outages in 2 years. I don't know how this site is classed as tier 3, it really must be one of the worst in London.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

At least 10 floors for a DC?

Oh well, the terrorists know what building to fly/fire a few RPG's into then to create maximum disruption?

I ws working for a business continuation company (DR and Offices etc) from 1998 to 2003.

One day I was trying to get a Media Company to move at least one of their DC's from next door to Heathrow and their backup DC in Canary Wharf on a certain September day in 2001. They were dead set against it until...

They moved their Dockland DC to Warrington less than 3 months later.

A multi story block is about the last place I'd want to put a DC. The only multi-story DC I'd consider is where everything is underground. Yes, I'm risk averse.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: At least 10 floors for a DC?

Underground DC alongside the Thames? What could possibly go wrong? :)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Cheap cooling though.

2. Blotto Silver badge

single floor, multi floor, pentagon military complex, i really don't think it makes much difference if some nut jobs decide to fly a jet into it.

best to be in an area where a plane is not likely to strike (avoiding airport approaches is an obvious).

1. Richard 26
        Alien

Moving out of Canary Wharf is probably a good idea because the last thing you want is a datacentre full of Daleks.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Best solution is to keep DCs anonymous.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

He/She knows what they speak of. I use the same firm for the same reasons as well as a remarkably similar solution.

No outages, no excuses, no complaints.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice to see Global Switch's customers getting their moneys worth!!!

You can bet there will be some obscure clause in their contracts saying Global Switch isn't liable for any compensation claims, despite their premium pricing and supposed N+2 redundancy claims.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

China crisis

In the old days this would be described as Jerry Built, now it's owned by the Chinese perhaps China Crisis is a more fitting description.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like